This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

crobinsonh

Trumpeter 1/32nd F-100D May 5th Another Disaster

Wow has it really been this long! Gunze Super Metallics used for a base coat before getting to SEA colours. Pretty pleased with the toned down "divots" and I did re-scribe (lightly) all of the panel lines.

OL7ktJ.jpg

4EPoYx.jpg

MvI1L7.jpg

s8gR4v.jpg

For some reason I did not take any photo of the underside painted. Here we are at the masking stage.

Nxg8tK.jpg

0k03An.jpg

C1IYaD.jpg

ZN1HCV.jpg

jchPxz.jpg

yXZUaG.jpg

Then BOING - I decided to drop the model from 2ft onto a wooden floor!

Resin nose has a huge chip, PE latches have pinged off and there are cracks on both sides where the wings mate to the fuselage.

cApM1c.jpg

MiKZw6.jpg

lxh0pz.jpg

XFfBOp.jpg

Sanding and re-scribing continues... mostly successful

jKKWZU.jpg

rbUsG2.jpg

Nz8H77.jpg

I think that will do the job and there will be a Zacto intake cover fitted for a flourish of colour.

Great recovery. I think we have all been there before with dropped models. It has to be one of the most frustrating things to happen. It looks like you have it all under control though, and I think this one is gone to be a real beauty when finished. 

Thanks for the comments and support.

Well I do not quite have a complete recovery. Although the nose was corrected I had 2 issues today. One was the matt varnish (Vallejo) speckling everywhere (this could be fixed) but the second much nastier problem came to light when removing the masking tape for the windscreen - cracked in 3 places from the original drop. So annoyed and frustrated. I am not paying £125 to replace the model just for the windscreen and I know that Trumpeter never seem to respond to requests for spare/replacement parts. So this one is going to the shelf of doom - you never know perhaps one day I can pick up a F-100D for a bargain price and resurrect this build.

mfATwr.jpg

QdmyY1.jpg

indg73.jpg 

Now I need to choose a new 1/32nd model to start...

Posted (edited)

Does anybody make vacuform replacements ? Maybe there is that possibility ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

2 hours ago, crobinsonh said:

Well I do not quite have a complete recovery. Although the nose was corrected I had 2 issues today. One was the matt varnish (Vallejo) speckling everywhere (this could be fixed) but the second much nastier problem came to light when removing the masking tape for the windscreen - cracked in 3 places from the original drop. So annoyed and frustrated. I am not paying £125 to replace the model just for the windscreen and I know that Trumpeter never seem to respond to requests for spare/replacement parts. So this one is going to the shelf of doom - you never know perhaps one day I can pick up a F-100D for a bargain price and resurrect this build.

Really sorry to hear this, I really feel for you. Could you use the cracked canopy to make a mould and then make your own vacuum form version? 

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Does anybody make vacuform replacements ? Maybe there is that possibility ? 

Unfortunately not that I am aware of.

1 hour ago, pipthepilot said:

Really sorry to hear this, I really feel for you. Could you use the cracked canopy to make a mould and then make your own vacuum form version? 

I guess that may be possible - to be honest I feel so deflated by this that I am not sure I have the appetite to try it right now.

Posted (edited)

You could also ask the various modeling forums (especially "HS") if anyone has a trashed F-100 and if they could spare the windshield.

Alternatively, you could make it into a mini-diorama with a "canvas sheet" to cover the windshield to make it look like the aircraft is undergoing maintenance. Some people use tissue paper soaked in white glue, drape it around the canopy, wait for it to dry and then airbrush/ drybrush/weather the "canvas sheet". Armor modelers do this all the time, I believe.

Here is something similar but it was done with magic sculpt instead.

https://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/f14vf31/image022.jpg

Edited by Jackman

9 hours ago, Jackman said:

You could also ask the various modeling forums (especially "HS") if anyone has a trashed F-100 and if they could spare the windshield.

Alternatively, you could make it into a mini-diorama with a "canvas sheet" to cover the windshield to make it look like the aircraft is undergoing maintenance. Some people use tissue paper soaked in white glue, drape it around the canopy, wait for it to dry and then airbrush/ drybrush/weather the "canvas sheet". Armor modelers do this all the time, I believe.

Here is something similar but it was done with magic sculpt instead.

https://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/f14vf31/image022.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for your help and to pointing out the idea with the canvas sheet. I have decided to try Trumpy first to see if I can get a windscreeen.