Trumpeter 1/32nd F-100D July 4th 100% complete

Great recovery. I think we have all been there before with dropped models. It has to be one of the most frustrating things to happen. It looks like you have it all under control though, and I think this one is gone to be a real beauty when finished. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments and support.

Well I do not quite have a complete recovery. Although the nose was corrected I had 2 issues today. One was the matt varnish (Vallejo) speckling everywhere (this could be fixed) but the second much nastier problem came to light when removing the masking tape for the windscreen - cracked in 3 places from the original drop. So annoyed and frustrated. I am not paying £125 to replace the model just for the windscreen and I know that Trumpeter never seem to respond to requests for spare/replacement parts. So this one is going to the shelf of doom - you never know perhaps one day I can pick up a F-100D for a bargain price and resurrect this build.

mfATwr.jpg

QdmyY1.jpg

indg73.jpg 

Now I need to choose a new 1/32nd model to start...

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, crobinsonh said:

Well I do not quite have a complete recovery. Although the nose was corrected I had 2 issues today. One was the matt varnish (Vallejo) speckling everywhere (this could be fixed) but the second much nastier problem came to light when removing the masking tape for the windscreen - cracked in 3 places from the original drop. So annoyed and frustrated. I am not paying £125 to replace the model just for the windscreen and I know that Trumpeter never seem to respond to requests for spare/replacement parts. So this one is going to the shelf of doom - you never know perhaps one day I can pick up a F-100D for a bargain price and resurrect this build.

Really sorry to hear this, I really feel for you. Could you use the cracked canopy to make a mould and then make your own vacuum form version? 

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Does anybody make vacuform replacements ? Maybe there is that possibility ? 

Unfortunately not that I am aware of.

1 hour ago, pipthepilot said:

Really sorry to hear this, I really feel for you. Could you use the cracked canopy to make a mould and then make your own vacuum form version? 

I guess that may be possible - to be honest I feel so deflated by this that I am not sure I have the appetite to try it right now.

You could also ask the various modeling forums (especially "HS") if anyone has a trashed F-100 and if they could spare the windshield.

Alternatively, you could make it into a mini-diorama with a "canvas sheet" to cover the windshield to make it look like the aircraft is undergoing maintenance. Some people use tissue paper soaked in white glue, drape it around the canopy, wait for it to dry and then airbrush/ drybrush/weather the "canvas sheet". Armor modelers do this all the time, I believe.

Here is something similar but it was done with magic sculpt instead.

https://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/f14vf31/image022.jpg

Edited by Jackman
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jackman said:

You could also ask the various modeling forums (especially "HS") if anyone has a trashed F-100 and if they could spare the windshield.

Alternatively, you could make it into a mini-diorama with a "canvas sheet" to cover the windshield to make it look like the aircraft is undergoing maintenance. Some people use tissue paper soaked in white glue, drape it around the canopy, wait for it to dry and then airbrush/ drybrush/weather the "canvas sheet". Armor modelers do this all the time, I believe.

Here is something similar but it was done with magic sculpt instead.

https://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/f14vf31/image022.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for your help and to pointing out the idea with the canvas sheet. I have decided to try Trumpy first to see if I can get a windscreeen. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Ok. Having had NO response from Trumpeter at all (just as I expected) I have resurrected this build from the shelf of doom. I will work out what I am going to do with the windscreen later. I have focussed on weathering and adding some more details. The weathering is not just colour but also paint finish - matt for new touchups, slight sheen on older paintwork etc. Not sure how please I am or not so just pushing forward. 

Here is the latest state - the windscreen I should add I took off in preparation for the replacement part - now I know I am not getting it I have glued in back on. 

03AMZM.jpg

ZCJ0IO.jpg

8l5CVB.jpg

T49eov.jpg

jzYaRu.jpg

I also had to sand the surface of the model down to get rid of the horrible pebbling texture that the Vallejo Matt left all over the more - what a chore! More updates later this week.

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Slowly but surely over the last few weeks I have been working on the undersides and weapons. I made the cardinal mistake of using Alclad Gloss Kote which never stopped being tacky. Sprayed Vallejo Matt varnish and there has been a strange reaction between the two. Oh well - live an learn!

An overall shot of progress so far.

GsEqtF.jpg

More detailed shot of the mucky part of the undersides based on images that people on LSP kindly provided per my request.
rz0i7u.jpg

Now the various Eduard Brassin Zuni, Bombs and MER's as well as Master pitot and kit ladder. The Eduard resin parts are very detailed and there are many decals to add as well. I should have drilled and pinned the bombs to make them ver secure and also to ensure correct alignment.

7DQAJl.jpg

THdT9A.jpg

kKWEiV.jpg

The end is in site. Still nothing from Joanna @ Trumpeter. I think I may have a solution for this being creative 🙂

On 4/8/2019 at 12:16 PM, Balbir said:

Hi

That’s  a great build.

Did you email trumpeter only I managed to get a 1/32 Wildcat canopy from them last month.

[email protected]

takes a few days to get a reply but they did come back

Hi, I have tried a few times over the last 6 months or so and had nothing back.

• Like 4

Fantastic looking build ad the finish is something else..!

I wonder if you'd have more luck contacting Trumpeter's UK importer/distributor? I think it is Creative Models, they certainly seem to be the HobbyBoss distributor.

Nothing much to lose asking them.

Matt

• Like 1

Firstly this is a really great build and deserves to be finished - I wonder if it is worth a post on Large Scale Planes website to see if  you can pick up a canopy from someone there - I put up a post of my Hasegawa 1/32  Skyhawk that I was rescuing from my shelf of doom and I got an offer from a modeller in the States of his left over A4 spare sprues - what he sent me was basically the kit sprues including canopies  minus the fuselage/airframe that he was using for a paint mule!

CJP

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 1

That is a great idea - I have just sent an email.

9 hours ago, CJP said:

Firstly this is a really great build and deserves to be finished - I wonder if it is worth a post on Large Scale Planes website to see if  you can pick up a canopy from someone there - I put up a post of my Hasegawa 1/32  Skyhawk that I was rescuing from my shelf of doom and I got an offer from a modeller in the States of his left over A4 spare sprues - what he sent me was basically the kit sprues including canopies  minus the fuselage/airframe that he was using for a paint mule!

CJP

That is a great idea - I have posted as you suggest

21 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Fantastic looking build ad the finish is something else..!

I wonder if you'd have more luck contacting Trumpeter's UK importer/distributor? I think it is Creative Models, they certainly seem to be the HobbyBoss distributor.

Nothing much to lose asking them.

Matt

Thanks for the idea - I have sent them an email