Mach 2: Grumman E-1B Tracer w/ a little help from Hasegawa 1/72

hsr

This is my Mach 2 version of a Grumman E-1B Tracer AEW (Airborne Early Warning) aircraft. This is my 6th Mach 2 kit and I have to say that this was the crudest one I have had to deal with. It seemed clear to me that this was derived from the Hasegawa S2F Tracker and since I had and extra S2F kit I used the wings, landing gear, and unfortunately the canopy from it rather then the Mach 2 ones. I say unfortunately for the canopy because after getting it installed and blended in, or maybe during, it cracked :wall:. I have also noticed that Mach 2 seems to have 2 decal vendors. Most of their kits have really excellent sharp, thin decals that go down great, but some have very thick, a little fuzzy ones. Tis kit had the thick fuzzy ones. They still go down great with no silvering. Anyway, enough complaining and on to the pictures.

0d4R2VH0_o.jpg

oBCEjlqT_o.jpg

zJkTwsRi_o.jpg

81V0g4cE_o.jpg

EBJIToAV_o.jpg

FNH8OlKW_o.jpg

I don't usually do much weathering but I tried some light weathering with some engine exhaust

McomZEYB_o.jpg

Like every build there came a time when I concluded, that it was never going to get finished, but I think it came out nice.

Next up is another Mach 2 kit, their RB-57F, which so far, looks to be much better and has the thin sharp decals.

Enjoy

• Like 17

9 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Thanks for sharing that HSR. I've got a vac conversion set and a Revell Tracker. I like the way it looks.

Looks good, I wouldn't mind it on my shelf! :thumbsup:

I also have the Falcon Vac-form conversion and a Revell/ Hasegawa kit waiting for the chopping.

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2017 at 1:25 AM, Tailspin Turtle said:

Thanks for the links, looks like I am off to find my Falcon conversion.

Hello There,

Excellent presentation of this famous aircraft.

You did put a lot of effort into this model.

Highest Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Thanks for the links, looks like I am off to find my Falson conversion.

There is also a resin kit conversion by RVHP that I think is still available, that is supposed to be pretty good. It also has the shape of the radar dome wrong, but they all do.  

• Like 1

Nice work on that Tracer.

I also have both the Falcon and RVHP conversion sets. What a shame that they all leave a little to be desired. Thanks for the links to your blog, Tailspin. At least it shows the way to go re fixing the radome shape.

• Thanks 1