Spitfire PR.IG Diorama ( with a twist ) 1/72 Scale

I've been modelling for over 45 years, building models ranging from 1/1200 to 1/3 scales, however this build isn't my story, I'm just the narrator. This build is actually my daughter's work! Now before you start imagining, fingerprints, glue blobs and paint runs and skip to another build thread, the finished model was finished to a high standard and sold for a healthy profit!!!

My daughter will be eight years old shortly, and has now been modelling for half her life! She was always handy with scissors, sellotape and glue from a very young age, so I decided to see just how capable she was. I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

Her first model build was started when she was just 3 years 11 month old; a Revell Red Arrows Hawk. It was completed five months later with a lot of guidance from me, but much of the work done by her. Build sessions were limited to about 30 minutes due to her concentration span, but gradually she put together a very respectable model. Here's the finished item.

pink_spit_001.jpg

In the Autumn of 2014, with the dark nights coming fast, I decided it was time for another build. She was almost five, so I decided on something a little more ambitious; we would go for a diorama!

I opted for the Airfix RAF Battle of Britain set as the price was reasonable and the aircraft, tankers, figures and base could each be separate projects, or all worked on while glue and paint dried on other parts. The aircraft wouldn't be finished in BoB colours however, as my daughter wanted a pink aeroplane, so this was going to be a PR Pink Spitfire. We went to the model shop and fortunately they had the set in stock. We came home with a big box, some extra paint and a happy child.

This is her Spitfire story.

pink_spit_002.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 13

Just showed this to my daughter whose 7,  and wants to do model stuff when she's tired (I just pointed out that maybe do that  than watching TV might be a better use of time)  but she went " she looks like me"....  just showed this to mum  and there is a bit of  a resemblance...

we have a part done pink FR Spit as well.   

I have done some railway figures, as they have women,  and some clip togther Zvezda Disney kits (got 1/2 price) and some Monti System trucks,  really good Czech clip together 1/48 truck kits.

She did enjoy watching  me do some figure paiting the other day, when I was showing her drybrushing.   And now it's story time...

• Like 5

The first step was to give the parts a quick wash. The rubbery plastic figures were given a longer soak. After everything dried off, it was time to start painting of the inside of the fuselage, seat, floor, pilot and prop. All the paint tins were Blu-tacked down to the board so they didn't get tipped over. You can see the concentration in the first picture!

pink_spit_003.jpg

All done, drying and happy with the progress so far.

pink_spit_004.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 12

I definitely see building kits as great "craft" for kids.

Get them cutting, making, gluing, painting, sticking, reading, looking, learning.

Much better than sitting on a screen or a computer or an ipad.

Top stuff.....good luck to your girl

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 3

As far as I know, the BoB set has been around for a long time. The vehicles are at least 1970's as I built them as a kid. I'm guessing the Spit is equally as old!

The figures were given a first coat of blue paint. They needed another at some point, as the tin was brand new and it's very thin. The solvent hasn't had time to evaporate out, so thickening up the paint. The rubbery figures are horrible to work with and I don't know why Airfix continues to use this flexible plastic for figures. The rubbery ones are ok for a kid to play with, but I expect most figures are bought by modellers for dioramas, not as child's toys.

The figures supplied as part of the original fuel tanker kits ( and other Airfix vehicle kits ) are normal styrene, but it's about time we had some new figures, ideally in hard plastic so alterations are possible? It's hard to trim flash off, the figures can't be modified, and the paint often flakes off if they bend at all. We won't be using all the figures in this diorama, and probably only one of the tankers. The spares can go towards a future build. 

pink_spit_005.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

I'm guessing the Spit is equally as old!

I was presuming it was the new tool Spitfire, but checking the set (I  got  in TKmaxx last year for £8, ) I was surprised to see it was the old tool kit!

Still rated as being very well shaped  though.

38 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

The rubbery figures are horrible to work with and I don't know why Airfix continues to use this flexible plastic for figures. The rubbery ones are ok for a kid to play with, but I expect most figures are bought by modellers for dioramas, not as child's toys.

The 1/32nd  ones are no longer made from Polythene,  but some  kind of styrene,  but the small ones are still polythene.

as  an aside some of the 32nd  ones are really well sculpted and look good if carefully painted.

I did blast some  old 1/32 polythene ones with Halfords grey primer,  and that did stick very well. (to practice figure paiting)  The other trick is PVA.

41 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

They needed another at some point, as the tin was brand new and it's very thin. The solvent hasn't had time to evaporate out, so thickening up the paint.

try using some driers,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235028815-jet-provost-colours/&do=findComment&comment=2861771

if nothing else it make it qicker to recoat.

Also, the little acrylic pots are quite useable for figure use if well stirred,  a drop of flow improver (even a drop of washing up liquid) and have a add a little water if needed.

here's some  done with the little Humbrol

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235002739-australian-infantry-airfix-132nd/

and this may amuse you daughter?

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235002749-150th-female-railway-figures-as-fashion-earrings/

If you , as dad,  are a dedicated enamel user you may find acrylics frustrating but I can't  deal with oli based paint solvents and clean up anymore (I use acrylic paint round the house if  at all possible)

I  have found Vallejo acrylics very good for brushing,  and Creative and/or MJW models sometimes have sets of paint at reduced price.

cheers

T

The thin vac-formed base was to be glued to a wooden base eventually, but during the initial work on it, it was still separate. The moulding is quite crude, and if I were doing this diorama myself, I'd be scratch building it all. Particularly annoying are the huge tar ridges between the concrete slabs in the dispersal, but I'm sure my daughter wouldn't care less. So it will do for us, but with a little work to improve it.

The green being painted in the photo below is just an undercoat for the texture which will be added later. I don't like model railroading grass powders, and have found fine sand gives a much nicer effect. So when the time comes, the grassed areas will be covered in sand to be painted later. Because the moulding is thin and fragile, I planned to open up the entrance to the shelters myself and it would also need some styrene floor adding once this is cut open.

For someone who wasn't even five at the time, she took a great deal of care working on the project.

pink_spit_006.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 8

She's had a go of my dual action Iwata Kustom TH, but even restricting the paint and airflow, hasn't got the necessary control so far. She on to her fifth model at present, so there's plenty of time yet!

Edited by Army_Air_Force

After the prop, pilot, seat and floor were assembled, the fuselage sides and tailplanes were cut and trimming started. I double sided some fine sand paper to a piece of styrene for a small sanding card so she could clean up the sprue cuts. Here, the tailplane halves are being sanded.

pink_spit_007.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

I started about 4 years old, but my dad was as much as a novice as me, so we both learned and made many mistakes as we went. My daughter has the benefit of my 45+ years of experience to keep her on the right track, and as a result, the finished models are far better than I was doing at that age.

• Like 1

With all the parts cleaned up, the cockpit and prop were fitted into the fuselage and the halves joined. I put a few bits of tape on while she held it and then she ran some liquid glue along the joints, being careful not to get too close to the prop. After that, the engineer gave the model a quick engine test to make sure all was well!

pink_spit_008.jpg

The only other progress was that she asked me to do more painting of the figures, so I did all the boots and shoes. I think painting small bits like that on more than one figure was a bit daunting. This was however, a joint quality time project for us both, so I expected to be doing some bits for her.

pink_spit_009.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

It was now mid November 2014 . On the 13th, we managed some more progress on the Spitfire after school. The dispersal blast walls were painted in PVA glue and coated in fine sand sprinkled on to give a nicer texture than the moulded plastic. It took a little while working around the different angles and giving the glue a little grab time before moving on the the next bit. It would later be given a dilute coat of PVA to help seal the sand in.

pink_spit_010.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

The lower wing surface wasn't a great fit on the fuselage, so the front was glued and left to dry before the rear was glued and clamped. We'd been working on the dining room table, as despite the fact that my workshop is 23 x 12 feet, it was full of a customers model railway!

As a result of using the dining room, it took a little over an hour to set up and get the work done, after which I decided that was enough concentration for her after a busy day at school, and needed to return the room to normal.

pink_spit_011.jpg

pink_spit_012.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

We do have lots of fun, whether it's out and about freezing in the Jeep or home in the warm with a model or Lego!

2017_winter1.jpg

Nothing happened on the model from Nov '14 until March 14th 2015. With the wifey busy with a mock accountancy exam, it was a daddy day care day, so after some time with the Lego, it was time for my daughter to do some more of the Spitfire. We started with adding the top wing skins......

They were clamped in place and liquid solvent run into the joints.

pink_spit_013.jpg

.....then moved on to painted some of the small parts, such as tyres, landing gear legs, exhausts etc.

pink_spit_014.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 6

While they were drying, we turned to the base. Using household emulsion touch up paint, she gave the sand a colour coat on the embankments. Two shades of green and brown were used, mixing them on the model to create a mottled grass/earth look.

pink_spit_015.jpg

The last job that afternoon was to attach the tailplanes onto the Spit with the aid of a Lego jig I made. It would be left in the jig to cure, so that next time, it would be ready for a light sand here and there where needed. That would then allow the PR pink to be applied.

pink_spit_016.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

The next progress wasn't until the beginning of April. It had been raining all day and not a day for being outside, so after watching some disney films in the morning, we got the Spitfire out to do a little more. After a little sanding of seams which we both did, out came the pink paint for the PR Spit. It was only half an hours work, painting the upper surfaces which are now drying before we can do any more.

pink_spit_017.jpg

This picture shows the drying Spit along with the base which we were painting last time. I need to find some wood to glue this down to, before we do any further work on this.

pink_spit_018.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 7