PK-605 HP Heyford

Unkempt

Well, the postie came and the late night beer and $20 on eBay have paid off. Yay!

fvG6jw2.jpg

A few things off the sprues but everything looks intact

FE1c2CE.jpg

I think if I actually wanted three plastic colours I'd be feeling a bit cheated...

48F9KjH.jpg

Well that all looks straightforward then.

A couple of things: first, boy, I don't like NIVO. I've had a read around these forums and elsewhere and decided that, despite the fact there's no real photographic or other evidence that it actually happened, this is going to be one of the glider tugs in dark green/dark earth/yellow. It certainly seems that they should have been painted that way and if they weren't then I'm just putting that right 80 years late. Need to do a bit more research on whatever modifications might be needed.

Second, this is going to be a slow start because I've got an Airfix Eindecker halfway done and I want to get that finished because my Pile of Doom is too big already.

Comments/advice welcome!

• Like 7

Yes - a Heyford, my all time favourite Matchbox kit.

It would appear that by having all green parts, you may have received Revell plastic in a Matchbox box. I believe Revell re-released this kit a few years ago as one of their ‘Classics’ range so that may explain the one colour plastic. I’ve still got mine bought new for my 12th birthday (1982) and it has three colours. No way is this a distraction, however. I’m sure this model will build up beautifully and I look forward to watching your progress. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

It would appear that by having all green parts, you may have received Revell plastic in a Matchbox box. I believe Revell re-released this kit a few years ago as one of their ‘Classics’ range so that may explain the one colour plastic.

Oh it is three different colours, it's just that they're not very different. It's like dark green, darker green and really dark green - it doesn't show up in the photos very well. Or, indeed, in real life.

• Like 1

Nice to see one of these added to the GB, I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

I have one, minus the instructions, your picture above solves half of my problem, any chance of a picture of the other side of the sheet please?

As an aside, I read somewhere that at one of the Hendon displays one of these was looped!

I should think that the rest of the crew kicked seven bells out of the pilot when they landed.

• Like 1

@TonyW most Matchbox kit sprues and instructions can be seen via the great Matchboxkits.org website. Here (hopefully) is the Heyford link. Click on the image and a larger clearer image should appear as well. http://www.matchboxkits.org/product_info.php?products_id=641

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Unkempt said:

Second, this is going to be a slow start because I've got an Airfix Eindecker halfway done and I want to get that finished because my Pile of Doom is too big already.

Comments/advice welcome!

If we're being honest an Airfix Eindecker  wouldn't increase the size of any pile of doom by much...

• Like 1

Can it get any better? the Holy grail for me I must build one one day,I have an article showing a yellow painted Heyford with camo upper

surfaces and there is supposed to be a  photo out there somewhere that shows an all silver one!Looking forward to this one,agree with

Dave possibly the revell classic release those decal's look new still a 100% MB kit though.

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

@TonyW most Matchbox kit sprues and instructions can be seen via the great Matchboxkits.org website. Here (hopefully) is the Heyford link. Click on the image and a larger clearer image should appear as well. http://www.matchboxkits.org/product_info.php?products_id=641

Cheers.. Dave 

Much appreciated, Ta.

Tony.

Great to see the Heyford here. It is quite a unique model that Matchbox made.

I have the Revell boxing as well, so I will be watching.:popcorn:

I hope they put in the decals from the Revell box in it.

Cheers,

Another in my stash that awaits me becoming both a better modeller and more patient, so that I can do the interior justice. I used to own 2 of them, but sold one when I realised that having 2 was just... silly.

I'll follow along if I may.

• Like 2

Good news, everyone!

qBzwC4c.jpg

Right, on with the Heyford. I'm getting most of my ideas from page 3 of this thread:

In particular, there's a couple of images with A type roundels on the side and what looks like a darker top than the sides, which could be yellow with a dark green/dark earth camo on top. One of the images has look like bombs on so it isn't a target tug but possibly a bomber trainer. So I think what's going to happen is a build of the Mk 3 but in this sort of scheme:

jvBeIv7.jpg

... excuse my crude photoshopping.

Things I'm still unsure about: whether those K serials would still be on it, what if anything would replace them, not sure about the yellow fins or around the engine nacelles and struts.

Now I suppose I'd better start building it.

Edited by Unkempt
  • Like 4

Here is a nice set of photos, could be useful for details

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft21858.htm

46 minutes ago, Unkempt said:

Things I'm still unsure about: whether those K serials would still be on it, what if anything would replace them, not sure about the yellow fins or around the engine nacelles and struts.

Many thanks for your drawings. Very interesting, good that you took responsibility :) Was lower wing il lighter shades or not? On your drawings - not. But could be?

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JWM said:

Here is a nice set of photos, could be useful for details

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft21858.htm

Many thanks for your drawings. Very interesting, good that you took responsibility :) Was lower wing il lighter shades or not? On your drawings - not. But could be?

Regards

J-W

Thanks for the pics, they look useful. The drawings aren't mine, I've just painted over the Matchbox painting instructions. As for the lower wings - well, maybe? The whole thing is speculative anyway, but I'm inclined to have them the same colour (mainly for the reason that I'd have to buy a couple more pots of paint if they were different).

• Like 1

• Unkempt changed the title to PK-605 HP Heyford

Interior done nicely, I'm looking forward to see  rest of it. Are you planning to paint top and lower wings assembled together? I found  it difficult. Better is, to do it separately  and than glue it together.