PBY-5A Catalina Rescue

Work on my Short S3 Empire Flying Boat is somewhat slow, mainly due to a little diversion to build some engine cowlings.  In the interim, I thought I'd add another build to this GB, this time a PBY-5A Catalina. 

The kit is by Minicraft in 1:144 scale and I intend (I think) to build it as is, straight out of the box.

pby-5a_catalina_001_boxart.jpg

Mike

• Like 5

Hi Mike,

Welcome to your second build to the GB! A Catalina is a beautiful aircraft and a great choice. It's also one of my favourite flying boats! Will you build it in the box art scheme?

Good luck!

Jaime

• bootneck changed the title to PBY-5A Catalina Rescue

A start has been made by cleaning up the outside, priming and also painting the internal area green.  I will possibly/maybe/perhaps finish this with the markings and decals from the box, although I do have a fancy at making a civilian fire-bomber version. At least I have until January 5th to decide that! :rofl:

pby-5a_catalina_002_internal_green.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Mike,

Nice to see you do another 144 Catalina/Canso for this GB.  If you go the fire bomber way, what will you do for scheme /decals??   Having just completed my 'Peas and Carrots' Buffalo Air/NWT one  I was wondering....

I've not contemplated that yet Paul.  I think I shall go with the box art on this...... but I may just start another build  with a firebomber theme; one with the closed-in nose section.  :bangin:  Any ideas on attractive scheme?

Mike

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't achieved much with this yet, mainly due to work on another GB plus I am teaching myself how to use an airbrush at the same time. This will be my first airbrushed build and below is a view of what has been achieved so far.

The colours are done but there has been some leaking along the panel lines, so I'll have to tidy those up with the paintbrush.  The image has come out overly light but the colours are correct on the model:  Yellow wing-tips and centre; insignia red inner bands and blue-grey (FS35189) rest of the area and engines.

pby-5a_catalina_003_top_wing_painted.jpg

Once the wing has had the paint touched up, I shall add a coat of Klear ready for the decals.  Then I shall work on the fuselage and clear parts.

Mike

• Like 4

I have actually managed to get my airbrush to work correctly (translates to 'my airbush has got me to use it properly at last') and have managed to complete the main colours on the model.

The colours are a bit bright but that is just my camera under indoor flourescent lights.  The weather hasn't been to good to get a natural light setting recently.

pby-5a_catalina_004_fuselage%20and_wing_

Those colours will dull down under a coat of Klear, plus some satin varnish afterwards.

I need to mask up the canopy and side sponson glazings, then spray them and attach to the model. Then I can spend a bit more time on preparing the decals and wheels etc.

Mike

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I've managed to get the decals applied to the wings:

pby-5a_catalina_006_decals_upper_wing.jp

However, I had a little problem with the fuselage underside set:

pby-5a_catalina_007_decals_damaged.jpg

Fortunately I have a spare set, from the PBY-5A Canso conversion GB, and will set to getting the old decal off and the replacement on.

Talk amongst yourselves until I get back :grouphug:

Mike

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The second set of decals, for the underside, had similar problems and possibly just the age of the kits. 

I managed to salvage the ESCUE decal by gently closing the broken pieces together before sealing.  As you can see, there is still a chunk missing at the top of the letter C.

pby-5a_catalina_008_underside.jpg

work is proceeding on the wing leading edge; adding the de-icing strips, lights and pitot tube.  None of these come with the kit.

pby-5a_catalina_009_front.jpg

Various scratches and chips are intentional as weathering for a future diorama layout

pby-5a_catalina_010_rear_quarter.jpg

I managed to dislodge the nose wheel but this can be easily remedied; however, the model is a tail-sitter, so I shall have to insert some extra nose-weight.

pby-5a_catalina_011_bow_quarter.jpg

Still plodding on and should make the deadline.

Mike

• Like 3

Those decals are a bit rough, aren't they?  Is it old age (the decals, not yours :wicked:) causing the issue, or are they just a bit :poop:  Nice colourful bird if you can give it an R underneath ;)

I have had these kits for a very long time, they have even endured three house moves, so I wasn't expecting them to be pristine.  I don't really have enough time now to make up fresh ones.  The letter R is a separate, and split decal (half each for the nose doors where they open).  They will be applied today, if they don't fall apart! :dull:

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

that's very kind of you to offer but it's a bit late in the day with it all finishing on Sunday.  I'll put it down to a heavy belly flop on landing.  :rofl:

Thanks again.

Mike

Edited by bootneck
corrected name!
  • Haha 2

I think I am on the final stretch now.  This time extension has allowed me to investigate additional items which could be constructed that were not included in the kit.

Here are my scratchbuild attempts at Yagi antennas; a bullet radome; DF loop and some oleo steps:

pby-5a_catalina_012_antennas.jpg

Just need to paint these up and attach them to the model and then take some photo's.

cheers

Mike

• Like 2

Good looking scratch built bits, Mike. Should improve the looks of the bird!

Looking forward to seeing it in the Gallery!

Cheers

Jaime