1:72 Lockheed F-104N Joe Walker Tribute

Navy Bird

My mistake earlier - 013/813 was not one of the first three Starfighters used by NASA. The F-104s used by NASA are outlined at the following web page in chronological order as they were acquired (great stuff, by the way).

http://www.916-starfighter.de/F-104_NASA.htm

It seems 813 was number 9. Three of the F-104 aircraft did not receive NASA serial numbers. The first three NASA serial numbers were 818 (YF-104A), 819 (F-104B), and 820 (F-104A). Only 820 was later modified to G standard. I always thought these were later aircraft because of the serial numbers, but there I go trying to think logically. These first three were all acquired in the late 1950s (when I was but a lad).  :)

The three aircraft 811, 812 and 813, that were often depicted flying together in the fluorescent scheme, were all ferried to NASA facilities by Joe Walker in mid to late 1963. All of these three aircraft were specially ordered by NASA (instead of a transfer from the USAF or Luftwaffe) and built to G model specifications, with removal of military hardware (weapons, targeting systems, etc.) and with internal compartments fitted for NASA test equipment. This last statement comes from here, a great document written by the crew chief of N819NA:

http://webs.lanset.com/aeolusaero/Articles/F-104B_HISTORY_OF_57-1303_Howling_Howland_24Jan10.pdf

It's my speculation that the smaller tyres and non-bulged doors used on 813 were due to the military hardware being removed (lighter weight?). Might have been for some other reason. Now, if I had done my homework first, I wouldn't have had to do the gear doors and tyres again. Well, like they say "we make things nice 'cause we do things twice."   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

• 4 months later...