Late war Mosquito FBVI: advice sought

turnerdad

Hi, any Mosquito experts out there? I'm currently building the Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI kit but want to build it as a late war ETO (so 2nd TAF) bird, so day fighter scheme (just grey and green) with drop tanks, paddle props and unshrouded exhausts. I would like to nail down a particular airframe for obvious reasons but so far no real luck. From what I have read some earlier airframes where upgraded with tank plumbing and new props, and later build versions came with these improvements as standard. Wondering too about cockpit/radio/gunsight differences. Can anyone help/advise a suitable machine as I'm getting to the point where I need to nail something down. 

Many thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated. 

In Shores & Thomas', "2nd Tactical Air Force vol.3", p.429 has a small picture of a MkVI in MSG / DG, with C1 type roundels overwing. Y YH, serial PZ306 of 21 Sqn. It has underwing tanks, but is in flight, so cannot tell what shape the props are.  Also, I cannot make out whether it has flame dampers.

The 2 other pictures of contemporary Mossies on the same page show both having paddle props and flame dampers, but these were machines from other squadrons, so hardly conclusive.

Worth a look?

Regards

Martin

Careful.  Do you really mean the Day Fighter scheme of Ocean Grey and Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey?  There were 2nd TAF Mosquitos in this scheme, but most wore the standard production Night Fighter scheme of overall Medium Sea Grey with Dark Green disruptive on the upper surfaces only.

Unshrouded exhausts weren't common - I can't say there were none but you'll have to look hard, I fear. 

Later builds had strengthened wings for dive bombing and external ordnance loads. From a modeling angle this will probably affect panel lines .

My understanding is that the underwing external load capability came in with the Mk.VI, and indeed is the difference between what was known as the "MkVI wing" and the earlier standard.  I don't know of anyone going dive-bombing with Mosquitos.

Edited by Graham Boak

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Careful.  Do you really mean the Day Fighter scheme of Ocean Grey and Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey?  There were 2nd TAF Mosquitos in this scheme, but most wore the standard production Night Fighter scheme of overall Medium Sea Grey with Dark Green disruptive on the upper surfaces only.

Unshrouded exhausts weren't common - I can't say there were none but you'll have to look hard, I fear. 

Sorry, yes, the night fighter scheme, grey overall, green on top. I’m going to use some judgement, best guess type thing but may paint up both sets of props to cover my back. Got one picture of exactly what I want to build but can’t see reg etc. And thinking about it, engines will be exposed so unshrouded exhausts won’t matter. I’ve been trying to find the perfect combination of how I want my model to look, but ultimately like a lot of older aircraft types with limited photographic references, I’m going to have to do a little guess work, but I’ll keep looking! 

Many thanks everyone.

Hi Graham 617 squadron lost a Mk.VI on Wainfleet Sands probably experimental in low level bombing and marking raids originated by Leonard Cheshire.

On 17/11/2017 at 10:28, turnerdad said:

want to build it as a late war ETO (so 2nd TAF) bird, so day fighter scheme (just grey and green) with drop tanks, paddle props and unshrouded exhausts. I would like to nail down a particular airframe for obvious reasons but so far no real luck

How late is late?

You may find more schemes from mid-late 44.

eg LR313, MM482 below.

De%20Havilland%20Mosquito%206%20(11)-960

there is an interesting scheme at the bottom, SZ964

De%20Havilland%20Mosquito%206%20(22)-960

from

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/06-De-Havilland-Mosquito

I don't know how many Mosquito's  were used in  the 2nd TAF,    I suspect not that many, as by then then the 2nd TAF was in europe,  and Mosquito FB.VI's were of  more use elsewhere, (eg Bannf strike wing)  

I just got the old but comprehensive Mosquito book today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0571047505 

but only had a quick flick through.  I'll see if there  is anything relevant in any  of my books if I get chance.

You maybe better off tracking down what squadrons still used them, and see if you can get some serial/squadron tie up's

On 17/11/2017 at 10:28, turnerdad said:

Wondering too about cockpit/radio/gunsight differences.

AFAIK there were the refelctor sight types,  did any Mossie get the Gyro gunsight?

On 17/11/2017 at 19:00, mike romeo said:

In Shores & Thomas', "2nd Tactical Air Force vol.3", p.429 has a small picture of a MkVI in MSG / DG, with C1 type roundels overwing. Y YH, serial PZ306 of 21 Sqn. It has underwing tanks, but is in flight, so cannot tell what shape the props are.  Also, I cannot make out whether it has flame dampers.

there have been threads here on when the paddle blade props were introduced into production.

EDIT some info here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234991904-airfix-148th-mosquito/&do=findComment&comment=2165683

@Chris Thomas  the author, is a member,  so may be able to add some information?

1 hour ago, turnerdad said:

Were the FBVI fleet equipped with a crew oxygen breathing system? I would have thought not being optimised as they were for low level. I know the NFII did, but the VI? 

Was this a factory fit? 

You  may want  to email the place restoring Mosquito's in New Zealand,  as they might know,  and your questions are reasonably straightforward.

and, always worth a browse,  @Etiennedup flickr of WW2 colour

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=mosquito

nothing that fits your request,  but always great for seeing detail of  wear and staining, which maybe less obvious in B/W.

HTH

T

PS this may answer some questions,  I don't have it to confirm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mosquito-FB-VI-Airframe-Systems-Aviation/dp/1906959080

51Pjn8T2xkL._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

looks to be OOP at SAM, hence price on Amazon,  but someone here will have this.

Finally,  I suggest using 'edit' and then 'full edit'  to change  thread heading to maybe

"Scheme or photos for Mosquito FB.VI in 2nd TAF service 1945"  as the heading at the  moment would suggest the Banff strike wing use as well.

Edited by Troy Smith
tidy up, adds
  • Like 1

How about a 418 Sqn Intruder aircraft?

Aviaeology do some very nice 1/32 decals for a few of the Sqn aircraft in the green/grey over black under surfaces intruder scheme with nose art of characters from Lil' Abner.

Cheers

Dave

On 11/18/2017 at 11:16 AM, turnerdad said:

Another question but I think a reasonable one. Were the FBVI fleet equipped with a crew oxygen breathing system? I would have thought not being optimised as they were for low level. I know the NFII did, but the VI? 

Oxygen was standard equipment on FBVIs.

As for schemes, 464, 487, and 21 Squadrons became part of 140 wing, 2nd TAF so there should be a good number of examples there. I'll take a deeper look through my copy of "de Havilland Mosquito - an Illustrated History" by Thirsk to see if there's something that matches your desires.

Edited by Crimea River
  • Thanks 2

Ok, here's my expanded contribution, such as it is.

I'm assuming that you have your heart set on 2nd TAF birds because that's what you said. This limits you to 6 squadrons as far as I know. 138 Wing flew FB VI's and was comprised of 107, 305 (Polish) and 613 Squadrons. Troy's profiles posted above provide you with 2 possibilities there. As I mentioned above, the other squadrons in 2TAF were 21, 464 (RAAF) and 487 (RNZAF)  which made up 140 Wing. Troy posted a 464 squadron example. The other thing I'm trying to figure out is what you mean by "late war" as the 2TAF was formed in June of 1943. Using that as my starting point, I can point to only one example that meets your criteria (drop tanks, disruptive camo, paddle blades) for which a photo exists in Thirsk's illustrated history and that's RS605. Problem is, he doesn't say what codes the aircraft sported and it's unseen in the pic. RS605 did sport paddle blades and drop tanks in the pic taken at Epinoy in spring 1945 but also has the flame dampers, though you said that would be optional.

Now, if you want to forego the 2TAF  constraint, that opens up just one more opportunities for which a pic is available in Thirsk's book:

PZ235 TH-M of 418 Sqn RCAF (NOT Australia as captioned in the article posted by Troy!!!). Paddle blades, 50 gal tanks (flame dampers unknown)

That's it for Thirsk's book - not much help to you. I concur with Dave that Aviaeology do have some excellent products but you'd have to research the aircarft depicted to see if they meet your requirements.

I might suggest this one, PZ181 YP-E of 23 Squadron flown by George Stewart. George is still around telling his stories.

yp-e-st-chris.jpg

Having now delved into the subject, I see your dilemma and hope that you can zero in on a subject that meets your wishes or that you can adjust your requirements to match more readily available examples.

Good Luck!

Andy

Edited by Crimea River
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2