Scratched CD and future.

S5 modeller

Hi chaps. 

I've got an old CD which when played starts skipping. I've tried polishing the surface with toothpaste, which has helped a bit, but was wondering if a coat of future might help? 

Has anyone tried this before? 

I'm tempted to try it, but am a bit worried about trying to get an even coat on the surface. 

Is it worth a shot? The CD might have to be replaced otherwise, but not sure if another copy is available. 

Any advice would be very helpful. 

Thanks for looking. 

Matt

Not sure about Future & you may have to polish afterwards. Heavy wax (furniture, car, whatever) seems to be useful for filling deeper scratches, pile on & polish off - the scratch may remain visible when finished, but it should / might read properly.

• Like 1

There are some places where you can take in a DVD/CD and they have a machine that will either remove scratches or coat it with something (can’t remember which) - either way, the idea is to remove the scratch. 

If it’s less than the cost of a replacement then it may be worth a punt.

Trevor

• Like 1

can you rip a copy, and then just burn a new CDR?

A CD player is relatively fussy,  but a DVD drive is more  forgiving.

try using this to  rip the scratched CD

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

it will tell you the amount of errors,   but if you can just try a burn and  see if it sounds OK.

HTH

T

• Like 1

Another :thumbsup: for exactaudiocopy.

The polishing is worth a go though. Autosol is a good starting point with toothpaste to finish - or, indeed, some 10k or 12k micro mesh.

One point on the polishing: make sure you polish radially, not tangentially.

Good luck!

Brian

• Like 1

Before you try anything else, try washing up liquid. Won't fix scratches, but will remove anything else that might be interfering with playing.

Recommended by a market stall holder, from whom I bought LOTS of CDs.

Drastic reduction in my return rate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Matt, there is a hand-cranked device available here in the USA called "SkipDr.". It is intended to polish/remove scratches on CDs and DVDs. I have one and it does a very good job. I believe that it is exported and may be available at a location near to you. It has a circular sanding belt(it is also flexible) to polish the surface. The basic one is not to be used on Blu-rays; they have a separate one for that. Whether that is a marketing thing to up sales(for the cynical ones here(and I am sometimes one)); or, because it uses a finer grit to polish Blu-rays due to the different laser used by the players can be argued. I am sure that it is the latter. Blue light is shorter than the red light wavelength. The website is digitalinnovation.com. You could check it to see if there are any stores near you that have it. It is also available at Amazon.com and, no doubt on evilbay(as many here on BM call it). Price here is around $15.00USD; your mileage will vary.

HTH

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If I’m in the car and it starts that nonsense I rub the cd on my forehead. The natural skin oils seem to smooth out minor scratches and it can improve playback a bit, probably in the same way as the Vaseline mentioned above.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, goggsy said:

If I’m in the car and it starts that nonsense I rub the cd on my forehead.

“If you would like to step out of the car please Sir, and explain exactly what you were doing when we pulled you over”:D

Mart

• Like 1
  • Haha 2