Striking Back (1/72 Trumpeter Wellington Ic)

1 minute ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'm tantalisingly close to getting ten completions myself this year, but I don't think I'll make it, to my shame.

I believe in you, Stew. Let us all strive to at least be decurions this year. What would be a disaster in any other year would still be a high note for 2017.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Given my total completions this year of 1 ‘orrible ‘ilux you both put me to shame. I’m also somewhat nervous of what shame the buddy build will reveal, as I bodge while @Procopiusbuilds...

However, I have a stash full of Blenheims, and I have my New Years resolution of build two to buy one looming so bash on PC and we’ll have at it with the Bleneheims from 5 January !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Given my total completions this year of 1 ‘orrible ‘ilux you both put me to shame. I’m also somewhat nervous of what shame the buddy build will reveal, as I bodge while @Procopiusbuilds...

I'll let Chuck Heston field this one:

giphy.gif

I'm just fumbling my way through life with low-grit sanding sticks and filler, man. If we fail, we fail together. When one of us succeeds, we all succeed. If one of us has a choccy biccy, we both gain a little weight. We're working on that last one, and I apologize for any health scares that ensue for you.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Gawd, listen to you two, I'm tantalisingly maybe, almost, possibly, getting close to getting one build done for the year. :( Guess I'll just have to enjoy yours. :)

Steve.

Defeatist thinking, Steve! You still have ten days left in 2017! PRESS ON!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 or 10.  I have been working, in a highly desultory fashion, on a 1/32 Bronco since October 2016,and no, I doubt that I will complete in 2017. OTOH, my girlfriend acquired a bright pink, 12inch tall, one-piece dinosaur head earlier this year that I have nearly finished turning more dinosaur-coloured! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I'm sitting on nine for the year as well, with three on the bench. Perhaps I should just choose one them for the rush for ten before 2018.

Yes! Solidarity, Cookie! It's a mad dash for the finish line now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chaotic Mike said:

9 or 10.  I have been working, in a highly desultory fashion, on a 1/32 Bronco since October 2016,and no, I doubt that I will complete in 2017. OTOH, my girlfriend acquired a bright pink, 12inch tall, one-piece dinosaur head earlier this year that I have nearly finished turning more dinosaur-coloured! 

A dinosaur's head counts. Anything counts, gentlefolk! We can all make it to ten this Christmas...well, maybe not Steve, but do numbers even exist in New Zealand? I submit to you they do not.

• Haha 5

On 12/11/2017 at 5:21 PM, Cookenbacher said:

"Bomb aimer" it is then, authentic and easier to spell, a win win.

Although there are few things as fun as speaking into one cupped hand, "pilot to bombardier, pilot to bombardier,"  while zooming the nearly complete 1/72 bomber around with the other.

Or, 'Left, left....back a bit, Skipper!' Forget where I came across that.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Damn, we do need more reqction options, I couldn't find the V symbol one or was it the I symbol I was looking for, never was much good with numbers. :D

Steve.

Never mind Steve. You can always console yourself with the fact your remaining year is a good 20 hrs or so shorter than PC's so it's hardly your fault you won't meet his arbitrary expectations! ;)

i on on the other hand have no such excuse. I may not get to ten, but hopefully I can make it to 2. Which would be written 10 in binary, so there! :lalala:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Dr 06/24 prescribes an Airfix starter set blitz build - might try one myself!

That’ll be five of my six for this year!

Just got a Hawker Typhoon in ‘alternative’ colours to push over the line.

Ced! Liking what I see of the Wimpy so far. I may be tempted to finish a larger model in 2018.....

Trevor

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Ced! Liking what I see of the Wimpy so far. I may be tempted to finish a larger model in 2018.....

I think you may have me confused with someone more handsome.

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

....do numbers even exist in New Zealand? I submit to you they do not.

I submit to you that they do exist but normally are of the large variety as witnessed in the drubbings normally handed out by the All Blacks on the rugger field to the rest of us!

My rather pathetic count is four incomplete builds, a Buccaneer that is awaiting transfers and which fills me with fear and dread, and a Tornado F3, a F18 & a F5E all in various stages of the build process. The embarrassing thing is my 8 year old granddaughter has completed two builds this year! :huh: :raincloud: 

Excellent work on the Wellington PC, that undercarriage, wheel and tyre  is extremely nice.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

A dinosaur's head counts. Anything counts, gentlefolk!

Ooh! Well in that case can I claim the two Nerf guns Steampunked to an inch of their lives, the obligatory Steampunk goggles and various other pieces of Steampunk paraphernalia crafted from nothing more than a toilet roll tube and some sticky back plastic? Or maybe the new foot pegs fitted to the Harley....clutching at straws with that last one perhaps!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harley John said:

Ooh! Well in that case can I claim the two Nerf guns Steampunked to an inch of their lives, the obligatory Steampunk goggles and various other pieces of Steampunk paraphernalia crafted from nothing more than a toilet roll tube and some sticky back plastic? Or maybe the new foot pegs fitted to the Harley....clutching at straws with that last one perhaps!!

Let's ask the most important judge in the land...I refer, of course, to Judge Reinhold:

He seems to think it's okay...as long as it gets you to ten. If it doesn't, well...

Anyway, Wimpy is mostly primed:

39162301002_bae56a5a55_k.jpg2017-12-21_12-06-00 by Edward IX, on Flickr

"But Edward," you say, "didn't you paint the turrets? Why didn't you mask them (or the engine facings) prior to spraying Alclad Microfiller Grey?" And to that I say, "shut up."

Well, not really. But the disadvantage of dropping to ten highly-intermittently-built models (hopefully!) in a year from twenty-six is that one's liable to forget things one used to remember to do as a matter of course. I also spilled an immense amount of primer through careless holding of the airbrush (and I think my Badger 175's long-suffering needle has finally copped it, since in side view the spray pattern looks rather like a Y tipped on its side), including some on the kit that seemed to score the plastic on one wing, but looks to have settled down some once more primer was sprayed in the more usual fashion over it (I first tried to remove it with IPA and Gunze Self-Levelling thinner, which did little but get little bits of paper towel caught in it. Dumb move, but things seem to have worked out now).

Also, I forgot to wear my mask and was engulfed in clouds of thick, choking primer. I'm sure that's fine, as the future is looking pretty crap. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

I think you may have me confused with someone more handsome.

Aww, thanks PC, too kind :D

I couldn't 'like' the last post and I feel for you... those nice cooling rings... rats. At least the primer looks nice and smooth :coolio:

• Like 1

Hi,

Just noticed there is an interesting article in the January 2018 edition of Scale Aviation Modelling by Paul Lucas discussing the use of the 'brick red' high temperature paint 41 (HTP.41) on Wellington Mk.IC manifolds/exhausts. Maybe not relevant in your case, but interesting nether the less!

Will

2 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Hi,

Just noticed there is an interesting article in the January 2018 edition of Scale Aviation Modelling by Paul Lucas discussing the use of the 'brick red' high temperature paint 41 (HTP.41) on Wellington Mk.IC manifolds/exhausts. Maybe not relevant in your case, but interesting nether the less!

Wait, SAMI, or Scale Aircraft Modelling?

1 hour ago, Chaotic Mike said:

Shameless Hijack...  Look, Winston... a dinosaur...

Dino!

He's not a big dinosaur guy...yet. Still on trucks, trains, and (thank heavens) airplanes. He's convinced the Beaufighter I did a while back is a model of the Jetstream he flies to see Mrs P's parents in.

10 hours ago, CedB said:

I couldn't 'like' the last post and I feel for you... those nice cooling rings... rats. At least the primer looks nice and smooth :coolio:

Those are safe, at least! I left them off.

• Like 2