Striking Back (1/72 Trumpeter Wellington Ic)

14 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I ended up with a double ear infection with all the misery that entails, so my quest for ten is officially over.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to read it, Cookie. 

I picked up the last volume of Bloody Shambles per your recommendation - might be the best book I've ever bought. It could inspire a lifetime of modelling subjects.

It's excellent, isn't it? Spitfire VIIIs and Vcs, Ki-43s, P-51s, Hurricanes, B-24s and Wellingtons... Lots to take in.

I also picked up Allied Jet Killers of World War II, just because of the title.

Just for the title alone, it's a must-buy. Also an excellent name for a band, whose t-shirts I would absolutely buy. 

"I did shoot down an Me 262, which was the first jet aircraft. I didn't really know what it was, but once I saw what it was, I whipped down on the damn thing and blew it away."

-- Howard C. Nicholson, 402 Squadron

12 hours ago, massimo said:

I really love the way you gave the faded look to the brown first and then to the green!!! 

Did you spray the base colour first and then a lighter mix random? It ooks very convincing!!!

I did no lightening at all, just varied the amount of paint I was spraying through the brush. The only other paint I've ever been able to do this with was Vallejo Model Air, but Colourcoats don't lift when masked, whereas Model Air does. Really wonderful paint.

10 hours ago, perdu said:

But mark well my words young padawan, I fear you WILL be heading to Michigan very soon

You're half right. Mrs P informed me via Facebook message (her preferred means of communication -- I receive requests for glasses of water this way when I'm in the basement) that since I was going to be too sick to drive out to Michigan on Friday, she had called her mother and gotten tickets on a charter flight out of Midway airport, fifty miles from our house. Originally she had a ride to the airport as well, subsequently I was informed that I was the ride, so I'll probably die on the way home when I pass out and plow into the median. If I live, however, I'll have a quiet New Years at home with me, the hedgehog, and six birds. :|

8 hours ago, Chaotic Mike said:

Was there a build? It seems to have become lost over Christmas, an all-too-common occurrence... 

Merely waiting for the enamels to dry, dear boy, and ensuring my children don't die while their mother remains bedridden. Mere bagatelles. 

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

One way or another, a nice haul of reference material but where's the plastic...can't do nothing without plastic!

Stuart, I'd never let you down if I could avoid it. I also bought myself a Revell Ju88C-6 nightfighter (from South Korea, the only place I could find one) and Owl decals for it, two Fokker E.V expert sets from Arma Hobby, plus a Halifax correction set from Freightdog to correct some bits on my Halibag Mk III, Quickboost intake scoops for a Lancaster, and a Bf 110G-4 profipack from MJW for scandalously little. If you think Mrs P is mean to me, a little reappraisal might be merited after reading that list; it's a wonder she hasn't left me.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ooh, ooh, I know the author of one of your books; touching the hem indeed [though I’m not sure Larry J-C wears dresses in public].  Do we detect a Lynx in your future?

I wondered if you might, seeing as you served around the same time and the FAA's fraternity of rotary-winged pilots isn't exactly enormous. (Have you met Sharkey Ward? Is he as...delightful...as his writings suggest?) I have several Hobbyboss Lynxes in the stash; I've built two HAS.3s, and managed to accumulate enough parts from their disparate boxings to do two HMA.8s with bulged windows and so forth, and I think one more HAS.3. I corrected the rotor height and tailwheel on mine when I built them, promise. Winston is fascinated by the built Lynx I still retain (one of the Falklands Sea Skua aircraft). "Heptabotpa! Wanna see it. Wanna hab it. Gib. Gib it to Winnie."

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mrp said:

Mr P, which Freightdog Halifax correction set did you buy and where ?  All I can find is the earlier sets for the Mk I/II  not for the Mk III. Any help would be appreciated.

mrp

I just got the B.II Series IA improvement set two; it has the replacement wheels, including tailwheel, which nobody else really does, H2S radome, and a machine gun for the nose if needed. The rest is just extra. Ideally, they'd just release those as a third set, less the rads and spinners for the Merlin engines.

Such a pity about the Revell Halifax I/II. The late Merlin-engined marks are the best-looking of the British heavy bombers, and it's really hard for me to get past the porky Revell nacelles. Lucky for me I managed to nab an Aeroclub set before they more or less stopped trading.

42 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Have you met Sharkey Ward? Is he as...delightful...as his writings suggest?

Yes, and yes.  With Cdr Ward, appearances are not deceptive.  I know a number of Shar drivers who are thoroughly good blokes.  Sharkey belongs in a different part of the Venn Diagram.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

My sides

I wish my sides were attached to someone else after reading the above

The splitting is atrociously, painfully

Awful

:lol:

PC, please WE beg of you, be careful making your way home from the airport

We need you, as do, of course the hedgehog

And the birds

That book,  I must one day overcome my aversion and after applying filters, read it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A very belated Merry Christmas Egbert and get well soon. Very pleased to hear you've 'escaped' the Michigan trip; I only hope you recover enough to enjoy the 'me time' :)

Oh, and nice paint job by the way.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you and Mrs PC have not been well. I do like your pile of reading. Purely for research I would assume? Drive carefully on your airport run and have a good Nere'day as we Scots say. The Wimpey is looking good. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the radio silence, chaps! I managed to escape Mrs P's attempt to cajole me to head Michigan-wards on a Jetstream 32 by protesting illness and weathering the withering spousal disdain that ensued. It's easy to stand one's ground when you know that if you accede, you'll be trapped in a frigid* open-plan house smaller than your own, with your in-laws, your spouse, who will be "on vacation", and two small children who you'll be expected to watch while the other grownups eke out what little qoute fun unqoute there is to be had. Small of me? Almost certainly. But I learned in a hard school that if I didn't look out for my own well-being, nobody else would trouble themselves with it. 

Anyway, sending them off was nightmarish enough. They had a flight boarding at 8:30 this morning, but Mrs P (self-proclaimed expert at both packing for trips and time management) didn't pack until the very last minute possible, haven previously taken a nap instead, and forgot to pack any spare pants, or indeed the $100 I had given her after she said she never felt able to spend money on herself, and was consequently extremely short with the children and me, clearly the true architects of her woe. Her mood was not improved by the fact that Winston spent half the drive to the airport screaming "I don' wanna see Gammy and Geepa! No!" over and over and over again. I parked in the parking structure and walked them in, and the overly helpful clerk who checked their bags cheerfully offered me a gate pass so that I could walk them up to the gate and wait with them until their plane arrived, for which I could have cheerfully throttled him to death. However, no weaseling out of that one, so I accompanied them through the security screening (sacrificing the multitool I carried on my keychain to the High Priests of the Gods of Freedom manning their altar, which looked suspiciously like a millimeter wave scanner) and to their gate, only to discover that their plane was seriously delayed by weather in Manistee, and then, when it finally landed, an hour late, the extreme could outside (-8F/-22 Celsius with windchill) had frozen the refueling equipment, and so it taxied off using only one engine and looking rather forlorn, to reappear forty-five interminable minutes later, by which time my cold medicine had worn off. Ah, what a delight it was! Anyway, home safe now and free until they cut me down Friday, and off every day. Truly the stuff dreams are made of.

Here's where we are now:

39364395122_20c3cb06ee_k.jpg20171230_144118 by Edward IX, on Flickr

38686393464_1a6e44bd82_k.jpg20171230_144114 by Edward IX, on Flickr

39364400992_f60734ef43_k.jpg20171230_143735 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The real deal seemed to have a rather rough demarcation line, so I opted to use blu-tac to mask it, filling it in with Tamiya tape because I also enjoy literally setting money on fire and rolling in the ashes. Amazingly I remembered to wear my mask. The cooling gills need a bit of toning down, I think we all agree. 

* My mother in law gets severe hot flashes, which is nice because otherwise she'd be totally devoid of warmth.

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

Aaah, the joys of family, not. Wimpey looking good. lucky you being left alone, I'm stuck with a spouse who has decided to take the same time off & ride shotgun over me for my whole summer break, I'm looking forward to going back to work for a rest. :( Did you get your multi tool back?

Steve.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Aaah, the joys of family, not. Wimpey looking good. lucky you being left alone, I'm stuck with a spouse who has decided to take the same time off & ride shotgun over me for my whole summer break, I'm looking forward to going back to work for a rest.

That's why I went to work every day this week. Mrs P felt sure this was a sign of malingering, but in truth it's just because being home sick with my children is the least restful thing on earth, especially because as long as I have a pulse, I find myself pressganged into things. No thanks.

4 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Did you get your multi tool back?

No, no I did not.

5 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Hope Mrs PC and the boys enjoy Michigan, even more hope you enjoy the anti-Michigan.

Not possible.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Hello PC,

How did I miss this building !!

11 pages to read now, my mistake !

Have an happy New Year, any protoprocopius planned for 2018 ??

You're a great folk, many wishes for you and your family !!

Money, Health and happiness and whatever you desire !

sincerely !

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

This brings back memories.

My 20+ year old daughters are now fine company, spouse is placid and all is well. It wasn't always like that, though. If I'd looked after my own well-being the same as you are PC, maybe I wouldn't have a stress-related eye problem, anxiety, depression and so on. Good luck, carry on as you are and please continue to delight us with your modelling.

John.

• Like 2

Did you ask for it back?

(A question designed for testing how deeply in my cheek I can bury an errant tongue) ;)

I was wondering why the cooling gills look so shiny

Then I saw there was paint of a camouflaged variety

Phew

Now we know you will be missing them for all the week, rely upon us to keep you engaged in chat and banter designed to lighten the passing of time's heavy cloak

:)

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Have an happy New Year, any protoprocopius planned for 2018 ??

Oh, I hope not. Last I heard, Mrs P wants another one in 2021, so I'll just be staying on in the UK after Telford 2019...

15 minutes ago, johnd said:

This brings back memories.

My 20+ year old daughters are now fine company, spouse is placid and all is well. It wasn't always like that, though. If I'd looked after my own well-being the same as you are PC, maybe I wouldn't have a stress-related eye problem, anxiety, depression and so on. Good luck, carry on as you are and please continue to delight us with your modelling.

You probably built a lot of character that I conspicuously lack, though! (And unfortunately I came from the factory with depression.)

3 minutes ago, perdu said:

Now we know you will be missing them for all the week, rely upon us to keep you engaged in chat and banter designed to lighten the passing of time's heavy cloak

Upon you all falls this great burden.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

US?

Yes Egmondo you can rely on us

Telford 2019?

Well I do intend being there, but there's that blooooming heavy cloak tha' knows

Anyway, bear their absence with such fortitude as you can muster over this period of feasting and winter colds

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

Oh, I hope not. Last I heard, Mrs P wants another one in 2021, so I'll just be staying on in the UK after Telford 2019...

Telford 2019, will you be there ?? Me too, with my friend and some beers !

Come on and join the band Dear Mr P !

Sincerely.

CC

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

If you need somewhere to stay, my loft is centrally heated and you can make a bed out of kit boxes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Have I missed a whole year?

Surely there is Telford 2018 first?

My significant other has access to the iterweb, and knows that I chat to my fellow 'sadoes' modeling chums, so I have to filter all references to our marital bliss just to ensure there is no fake news.

I save my spleen vents for the dog and long walks, but hey ho , new year, new page.

Wimpey looking the biz, crack on!

Strickers

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, perdu said:

...time's heavy cloak...

I fear that by 2019 the cloak will have been made into a lovely altar cloth for the High Priests of the Gods of Freedom.  Probably using E’s multitool to help construct it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Lovely paint finish PC.

I hope you're feeling better very soon and can make the most of the 'me time' while the family are away.

2019? Time will fly...

• Like 1