Striking Back (1/72 Trumpeter Wellington Ic)

On 12/21/2017 at 2:17 PM, Thud4444 said:

+10 points for the Arrested Development clip.

To be entirely candid with you, it was only because I couldn't find a clip of his similar appearance on Clerks: The Animated Series. 

And now, with absolutely no apologies to Wham! (who, if anything, should be apologizing to me, to you, to everyone who's ever been alive and in a shopping mall within a week of Christmas, as I was Friday):

This Christmas, I masked a Wimpy
And forgot to say, started painting it yesterday
This post, to save me from arrears
I'll get it all up on Flickr (Flickr)

So t'other day, I actually laid down the Dark Earth (Colourcoats, natch, and what a pleasure it remains to use) first, since I feel like it makes more sense to do the lighter upper colours and then the dark undersurface and flank colour. There should be a substantial amount of masking any way one does this scheme, so the best thing is just to get on it.

38367142305_704a2e0ad9_k.jpg20171223_111425 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The Dark Earth dried with pleasing rapidity, and I used the classic "blu-tac and tape" method to mask it, which I'm getting much better at. I have some mild colour perception issues (one reason why I rarely if ever try to mix my own paint colours), and the low contrast camo guides in both the Techmod decals and the Trumpeter base kit may have given me a migraine, but I think I figured it out. The Trumpeter roundels are rather off anyway, so you should buy aftermarket decals (and Techmod're really the only ones who give you many options), but even if not, the Techmod painting guide is a much more sensible size, given the generally decrepit state of modellers and their eyes across the world. (I'm always a big fan of the modellers who do youtube videos in footbal/futbol/soccer jerseys -- you're not fooling anyone, pal). 

24401968137_a904f6e3f8_k.jpg20171224_095714 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Annnnnd...presto! Unmasking, phase one. Now to wait for this to dry and do the Night undersides and flanks -- the demarcation on this aircraft abaft the cockpit seems to have been rather higher than on some other Wimpys, going by the paint guide, and I can't see much different in the two photos.

25397703268_b6baff233a_k.jpg20171224_101103 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Hope you're all enjoying your pre-Christmas jollities; I cleaned the entire main bathroom and kitchen last night, including floor washing and all the trimmings, and Mrs P has graciously taken the kids to have brunch with her parents, so I've had a blissful and quiet morning. It is in fact the ninth anniversary of our first date today (lunch at a now-closed sandwich shoppe -- the extra e for expensive!). My how time flies.  

• Like 27

44 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I feel like it makes more sense to do the lighter upper colours and then the dark undersurface and flank colour

It's not just you mate, that's the most sensible way of doing it IMO B)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

On 12/25/2017 at 2:18 AM, Stew Dapple said:

Merry Christmas to you and the family PC, hope you have a good one :)

Alas, I did not. Mrs P started running a temperature of 102.9 F (39.4 C) on Christmas Eve, and deteriorated rapidly as a result. At one point, we thought we'd have to go to the hospital. She was left weak and (frankly) totally useless. In fact, she had caught the dreaded MAN FLU, and just as we've always suspected, gentlemen, the fairer sex wilts like a rosebud in the Sahara under its merciless onslaught. Unfortunately, this meant that I had to take on all of the child-rearing duties as well as doing all of the housework (normally it's a 50/50 split), and we don't have a dishwasher, because when we bought our house five years ago, the absolute last thing I intended to do with our crappy kitchen was have my in-laws over for Chrimbo to make potatoes au gratin, some foul green bean casserole, and a ham the size of a large man or small ogre's head in it. I have done the dishes nine times between the 24th and today. I hate doing the dishes.

Mrs P's man flu isn't totally like our own version, however, because no man, when sick, thinks "I hope someone cleans the house". No. He knows he's dying, and he quite sensibly doesn't give a fig what the house looks like, because in some atavistic reptilian part of his brain, he full well knows that the house is to be burned with his wasted and ruined corpse in it when the disease claims him, as our ancestors the Vikings did (actually not mine, mine mostly spent their time drowning them in peat bogs). Mrs P, on the other hand, on realizing I was only potentially coming down with what she had, decided it was important to get every last bit of use out of me before death claimed me, presumably so that when they hold the visitation in our parlour for both of us, things will look nice, so when I wasn't watching the boys (who were strong arguments for boarding school and the Merchant Marine made flesh today) I was cleaning up after them. Sometimes while they were still awake and out of bed, a truly pointless waste of time, because Winston, the Unmaker, follows after you, destroying all you've built. At one point he upended a ten-pound bag of birdseed while I was in the bathroom, and I felt nothing, because I had already been dead inside for an age.

However, all that's in the past. Now I'm sick too, and I'll probably die before I can finish the Wellington. But! Bright side: we will all probably be too sick to go to Michigan for a week come Friday. The Lord works in capricious ways.

I hope you all got what your hearts desired yesterday (or earlier/later if you celebrate another thin spiritual veneer over the unacceptable face of capitalism, or if you're just impatient). I asked for four books and received two, plus some socks, which honestly are more exciting as gifts now than they were at any time previously in my life.

39323872571_ebccc294a0_k.jpg20171226_205702 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Kind of a paltry haul, but don't you worry. I anticipated something like this would happen, and so I took some precautions and sent myself some care packages:

38616332464_b708438d92_k.jpg20171226_205715 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Today wasn't all bad, though, as I got some pleasant news, hopefully more on which anon.

• Like 12
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Boo sickness. Sorry to hear about you and Mrs P's flu.

But hurray books. We'll be expecting full reports.

I ended up with a double ear infection with all the misery that entails, so my quest for ten is officially over.

I picked up the last volume of Bloody Shambles per your recommendation - might be the best book I've ever bought. It could inspire a lifetime of modelling subjects.

I also picked up Allied Jet Killers of World War II, just because of the title.

Again, boo sickness, hurray books.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Edward, your sufferings are never in vain since they invariably make me laugh which proves I think that you are an exceptionally able writer, or that I am a very unsympathetic sort with some pretty serious sociopathic tendencies though in fact I suppose these are not mutually contradictory statements :D 

I do hope you feel better soon but if not, I hope at least you get the time and retain the humour to write about it. Nice haul of books too; if you are going to be laid up for a while, at least you have some excellent reading matter :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I really love the way you gave the faded look to the brown first and then to the green!!! 

Did you spray the base colour first and then a lighter mix random? It ooks very convincing!!!

To be honest I'm not a fan of those finishes with darker colours along panel lines and lighter clouds inside...

This paint job is bringing your model to life the best possible way!!!

Look forward to seing this effect on the black undersides and sides!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Edward, your sufferings are never in vain since they invariably make me laugh which proves I think that you are an exceptionally able writer, or that I am a very unsympathetic sort with some pretty serious sociopathic tendencies though in fact I suppose these are not mutually contradictory statements :D 

I do hope you feel better soon but if not, I hope at least you get the time and retain the humour to write about it. Nice haul of books too; if you are going to be laid up for a while, at least you have some excellent reading matter :)

Cheers,

Stew

What Stew said but far more eloquently than I could. hope all are restored to health in the PC roost soon & thanks for brightening my day .

Take care.

Steve

• Like 2

As with 'the others', of our crew I wish you well Edward

In fact I wish you a double dose of well because you deserve it for your fortitude under that awful onslaught

But mark well my words young padawan, I fear you WILL be heading to Michigan very soon

If I could go in your stead I would, you deserve to play a sub in this game

And I've never been to Mich, it might be fun for an outsider

I see Massimo has bring the modeling into this domestic scene, and, he's right

The paint looks brilliant

Happy holidays, when you feel better

Still you will be getting dinner prepared by Winnie nextif you are both out of sorts

Won't that be fun. 😱

• Like 3

Sorry to hear of your ailment PC, but as noted above it was not in vain, having taken one for Team Britmodeller, your scribings bring light and joy to all who read. The build is looking great by the way.

• Like 4

Never a dull moment in the PC household. And as already mentioned, you will be going to the ball Michigan...you might enjoy yourself.

9 hours ago, Procopius said:

Kind of a paltry haul, but don't you worry. I anticipated something like this would happen, and so I took some precautions and sent myself some care packages:

One way or another, a nice haul of reference material but where's the plastic...can't do nothing without plastic!

Stuart