Striking Back (1/72 Trumpeter Wellington Ic)

Got me worrying now, what if I let it slip in innocent conversation

Do I get brutalised, unawares?

I see Grant has you in the recovery position, useful for when he decides its 'time to blart!'

Anyhow, I have decided to keep quiet about your innards, I think it will be safer

😊

• Like 1

Nice smooth black bits PC :)

I spotted the transfers (?) and tweezers in the background too - they look interesting... to a tool whbore. Are they new?

On 12/1/2017 at 2:18 AM, CedB said:

Nice smooth black bits PC :)

Honestly not a compliment I've ever received before, Buffers, old boy!

On 12/1/2017 at 2:18 AM, CedB said:

I spotted the transfers (?) and tweezers in the background too - they look interesting... to a tool whbore. Are they new?

The transfers I got for free with an order from Hobbyshop.cz, which sometimes has decently-priced kits thanks to the vagaries of the exchange rates. The tweezers were from Ebay or Amazon and were part of a set that cost around $3...here we are: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVIEJ14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wf.iAbKB2X7JP

On 12/1/2017 at 2:06 AM, perdu said:

Got me worrying now, what if I let it slip in innocent conversation

Do I get brutalised, unawares?

There's only one way to find out, but millions of ways not to. Hmm. I'll have to reuse that line on Winston when he's old enough to be threatened. So long, father of the year award!

Actually, I do have a question -- the flares that are in a rack on the fuselage: Trumpeter says to paint them orange, but that can't be right.

The flares in question, or similar ones, can be made out on the far right of the tear in this Whitley's fuselage:

whitley_1.jpg

Yowza.

Anyway, Mrs P is angry at me right now (I asked her to take the baby because I desperately, desperately had to go to the bathroom, and she did three or four "just one more things", none of which were pressing, and finally, faced with the prospect of soiling myself in front of my in-laws, I cut her off with "no, NOW." The end result of this is that because I've been getting the silent treatment for the past forty-eight hours, now I have loads of spare time! It's like when my parents used to send me to my room, where all my books were), and Winston was denied a nap so he could see the wonders of the Lincoln Park Zoo (he got into one of the ground-level exhibits and very nearly caught a bird from the African rain forest, and I'm not kidding about that) and had to go to bed early because he had one of those meltdowns that two year olds are justly known for, so everyone sort of vanished around 8 PM this evening, leaving me with plenty of time. Originally, I was going to make use of the Amazon "Britbox" video channel and watch vintage (AKA "real") Dr Who episodes on the TV, but then I remembered I have my new tablet now, so

20171202_201946

Finally, something about the far-flung year of 2017 that doesn't make me want to hang myself. Bonus points if you can name which serial this was; I hadn't seen it in nearly 25 years until tonight. Louise Jameson was as amazing as I remembered, possibly more so now that I'm a fat old dad like the ones she was added to the programme for. She must have been the poshest atavistic human of all time. 

I masked the wooden walkway bits on the...walkway, I guess, and sprayed some AK XXXXXXXXXXXTREME!!1!! Metal on it:

20171202_202951

Huh. Could have sworn I took a photo of it unmasked, but apparently not. It looks good. Think, when we talk of horses...

I also added the bomb bay interior structure to the underside of the flooring:

20171202_204856

This is really essential, even though the bomb bay doors are molded closed as, inexplicably, a separate but single piece, because the floor itself has a gentle banana curve to it that it shouldn't. Quite a bit of clamping and squeezing was required here. 

Then a test-fit:

20171202_210542

20171202_210544

Not too bad. Certainly better than I expected, lookswise. Fit is great so far.

Closes up nicely:

20171202_210703

Added more greeblies, including the flare chute, which is right next to the Elsan(!!!), so imagine how unpleasant it would be if one crewmember needed to avail themselves of the latter while one of their confreres had to chuck flares out the former. Incidentally, there should be a little blackout/privacy curtain at the fram just for'ard of the Elsan, for obvious reasons, but I'm not really thinking of a good way to do it? Wine foil? I have none.

20171202_225907

On this one, bow and stern turrets need to be added all closed up before you can close the fuselage, so I've painted them black in preparation:

20171202_225901

There's an interesting photo from Etienne's flickr feed that seems to show the exterior framing on a Wellington nose turret as possibly Dark Earth...I welcome your input:

Vickers Wellington mk 1a.  c1944.

Just look at those cooling gills! Interesting colouring on the collector rings, as well. The earlier one Troy shared looked like it had white enamel paint like that used on stoves applied to the very front of the rings. 

Edited by Procopius
  • Like 11

Good stuff, you should arrange to get sent off to the naughty step more often

Winston playing the tough guy with birds? How often do we hear of lads doing exactly that huh?  😊

Love that pic of Etienne's look at all that mild steel turning burnt before our very eyes steel with added pastel dust

Sorted

Oh yes

Nice Wimpey PC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just caught up on your build. Very interesting history and construction, and some top modelling too. I didn’t realise these aircraft were doped linen on a honeycomb frame. Fascinating. 

• Like 1

Hello PC!

With regard to the collector rings, I read a long while ago “don’t paint them bronze!” I know it’s a different engine but here is the port nacelle from the RAFM Bolingbroke/Blenheim.

23945506017_541a583dae_b.jpg

To duplicate the effect, I’ve had good results using an inexact mixture of Citadel’s Tin Bitz and Mithril Silver, with just a hint of bronze.

Trevor

EDIT

This is how I finished my Novo  Beaufighter in the Obsolete Group Build using this mix.

38785424822_f509598f30_b.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, abat said:

Just caught up on your build. Very interesting history and construction, and some top modelling too. I didn’t realise these aircraft were doped linen on a honeycomb frame. Fascinating. 

"Geodetic" dear boy :)

It made for an extremely tough structure.

• Like 1

I neglected to say, like Cookie, the turret frames look dark green to me too and my eyes havent been rated colour correction needed

If I recall from my W2 bomber making days all glazing framing was kept to adjacent cam colours so green = green, black ==black etc

Its obvious from the canopy frames, less so on the turrets but some wartime B&W pics I have just called out of the interwebby thing show the same

For radial engine exhaust collectors I always base my paint on the simple process -take a piece of steel and burn it hard, let it cool, copy it

Some goes brown, some grey and some even pink*

That's what heat will do

*some stays silverish

• Like 1

These might help you re the distribution of heat stains on collector rings (pretty obviously, these are of the RNHF Swordfish Mk I W5856):

24942713028_1d0193fff8_c.jpg

24942713138_6e1a25e11f_c.jpg

The helpful diagram posted by @dogsbody explains why there is the un-stained ring.  I'd say 95% of models get this wrong and just go for the "bronze" look.

Hope that helps

Crisp

• Like 3

Nice progress PC, those internals are looking splendid! Good job.

(I've just noticed that the snowflakes on the seasonal banner heading hit the bottom and then melt. Nice touch, but I can't help but wonder if we're ever going to get real AI while the programmers spend their time on this sort of thing. I'm definitely going to have to work on my NOT grumpy old man...)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Oh

Is Christmas coming?

Those of us who have elected to save meagre reserves by going old school banner didn't realise

Hmm tell Mike I might turn it on for a day or two before The Big Day

Always fun 😉

Luckily for me, we went over this collector ring ground previously during the ill-starred Gauntlet build: 

So I have a reasonable handle on collector rings, I hope. It occurs to me I need to dig out my The RAF in Colour book and take some ganders at Wellingtons. (Not a euphemism.)

18 hours ago, perdu said:

As for the painted frame thing here is a  Lancaster tail turret partially rotated and you can see the camouflage change to black on the back

Interesting to note the mid-upper turret seems to be black, though.

6 hours ago, CedB said:

(I've just noticed that the snowflakes on the seasonal banner heading hit the bottom and then melt. Nice touch, but I can't help but wonder if we're ever going to get real AI while the programmers spend their time on this sort of thing. I'm definitely going to have to work on my NOT grumpy old man...)

I hope we don't in my lifetime. Think of the ethical implications of being able to make something that does the work you don't want to do sentient...and then think of the ramifications of choosing NOT to make it sentient. I don't want to be here when the robots decide to hash it out with their whirring, many-bladed limbs.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Me neither, I have always believed we should do what we ought to rather do what we can

The black mid uppers?

Possibly because rotating them would not change the camo's outline

And maybe the nose and tail turrets are part cammed up because they can rotate and leave the back part open to view which would break up the outline

There is bound to be an AP someplace defining what and why

• Like 1

Just played catchup on this one PC. It's coming along nicely.

The geodesic structure I saw a few years ago was just painted silver.

This was wing structure at East Kirkby, home of Just Jane, a Lancaster that

has a future back in the air, all being well.

Oddly, a couple of weeks ago I met a chap who'd recovered said wing from it's crash site.

And, have I got an English pub for you!

Today I was delivering beer etc around Norfolk (Eastern England).

I had a delivery to the Wellington, Feltwell. I had thought of the Duke. But no!

Up the road is the former RAF Feltwell which was a Wellington base early in WW2.

In the pub is what must be a copy of every painting of a Wellington, plus photographs,

models (4 different boxings of the Airfix kit!) and even a propeller blade.

Not to mention a large mural painted on an outside wall. Wimpy heaven! Enjoy.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiW-_rBivHXAhUJKFAKHbvVAUMQFggoMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.feltwellington.co.uk%2F&usg=AOvVaw3-b680J3iuFvjPsYvtBmFn

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And, have I got an English pub for you!

Today I was delivering beer etc around Norfolk (Eastern England).

I had a delivery to the Wellington, Feltwell. I had thought of the Duke. But no!

Up the road is the former RAF Feltwell which was a Wellington base early in WW2.

In the pub is what must be a copy of every painting of a Wellington, plus photographs,

models (4 different boxings of the Airfix kit!) and even a propeller blade.

Not to mention a large mural painted on an outside wall. Wimpy heaven! Enjoy.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiW-_rBivHXAhUJKFAKHbvVAUMQFggoMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.feltwellington.co.uk%2F&usg=AOvVaw3-b680J3iuFvjPsYvtBmFn

I wonder how out of the way this would be for Telford 2019.

3 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The geodesic structure I saw a few years ago was just painted silver.

Yes, mine is definitely a compromise. I imagine in service, the interior geodetic structure was probably a dull aluminium colour (I presume dull because I don't think Bomber Command wanted them glinting in the night skies) that merely happens to look light grey when someone forgets to turn the flash off on their camera and takes a picture. It's hard to do a dull silver that doesn't look like crap in this scale, and the only way I know how to do it (spraying Alclad, AK, or some other metallic) would mean a lot of masking on the Trumpeter kit. A L-O-T. Alternately a lot of going in with a brush after. I think this will answer, but will be investigating other solutions for the impending Airfix kit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Procopius said:

I wonder how out of the way this would be for Telford 2019.

It's way the other side of the country.

Probably at least a four hour drive depending on traffic.

Not much compared to distances in the USA I imagine,

but the roads here aren't large and are pretty full of vehicles.

Just now, Pete in Lincs said:

It's way the other side of the country.

Probably at least a four hour drive depending on traffic.

Not much compared to distances in the USA I imagine,

but the roads here aren't large and are pretty full of vehicles.

Yes, we drive six hours to see my in-laws (360 miles, not counting rest stops, which are frequent with small children). Guess I'll just have to stay longer. It's no punishment to see more of Britain.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Yes, we drive six hours to see my in-laws (360 miles, not counting rest stops, which are frequent with small children). Guess I'll just have to stay longer. It's no punishment to see more of Britain.

You might revise that view after visiting Fakenham and much of Norfolk.

[Note to any Norfolk residents: this is a joke.  I visit North Norfolk on holiday every year.  Mind you, I’d give Downham Market a pretty wide berth...]

• Haha 4