Striking Back (1/72 Trumpeter Wellington Ic)

25 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I think it will look just right after you paint the frames silver.

I've opted to paint them a light grey, since I imagine that the RAF wouldn't be too keen on having them polished to a reflective gleam in the night skies over Germany, in this case Gunze Light Aircraft Grey. As you can see, I'm a terrible drybrusher.

20171118_202923

I'm going to go over this with a "whiter" grey that I've dug out. Then I'll go back and use my Secret Weapon (tm):

20171118_202937

I got this back when I still played Warhammer 40,000, which means it must be fifteen years old or more. At long last, it goes into action. I hope it acquits itself gloriously.

33 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

That wood grain looks smart - I know you've told me the technique before, but mind explaining the process again?

No problem. Use a brown acrylic to paint your base, then go over it with Future or another acrylic clear coat. Then use a deeper (or lighter, I guess, if you're a weirdo) brown oil paint, suitably thinned, to go over it. Clean your brush off and run it over the oils to create little streaks as you'd see on real wood. Wait five hundred years for the oil paint to dry. Coat with Tamiya Clear Orange. Revel in the adoration of your peers and the lustful glances of women who really appreciate a man who can make his own faux wood grain.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Well it's looking good to me PC - especially the woody bits. Coming along nicely. :)

Swearing in front of the children? Gives me a chance to post one of my favourite videos, again. (Don't watch this if you don't like Advertising Standards approved sweary words):

Edited by Julien
It might be asa approved, but not on BM pls

On 17/11/2017 at 11:44 PM, stevehnz said:

I'm liking the look of this effort Edward & I see you've attracted the usual gang of miscreants, layabouts & ne'er do wells that I feel so at home with so I'll just go & elbow my way into a decent possie & await the fun commencing. :)

Steve.

Not to mentions us lurkers peering in through the windows to see what they all get up to this time 🙂

• Like 1

I wouldn't stand out there if I was you, the windows have been known to steam up very quickly when he gets a 'romp along' going

Come in and take that space by the bar, you can pass the peanuts to us as and when

:)

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay, chaps (and that I missed Ced's vidya), but Mrs P (looking exceedingly foxy in a thermal pullover, along with more than just a hint of danger because she was tired and irritable after travelling four hours with two children), Grant, and Winston (who saw me as he came out of the terminal and yelled "is that my daddy?") all came home yesterday, ending a week of freedom, ease, and sleeping in past six. On the plus side, the oil paints need to dry anyway.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Procopius said:

[...] Winston (who saw me as he came out of the terminal and yelled "is that my daddy?

image-medium

(I was looking for a photograph of Ray Winston holding a sock full of snooker balls but the above book would be suitable reading for a new Anglophile.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I feel I've learned so much in the course of researching these last two posts.

the legendary scene's

please add an h  to  ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDPO9UG_CY4

as this contains violence and swearing.....

also recommended for added claret, I mean clairity

http://scummovie.wikia.com/wiki/Language

I now have visions of  Edward roaming the house and practising his cockney accent...

"nah Winston,  I'm gonna  'ave to send you to the block, or you'll be explanin' to yer muvver how you slipped earlier,  'and sdon't be  tellin' no tales cos you ain't no grass is yer?  That's right, 'cos i'm the daddy" 

or such like 

alrite  geezer..   

also for  full cultural context  google image "viz cockney"  for a legendary comic strip,   though you might then need to look up "cockney rhyming slang"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I now have visions of  Edward roaming the house and practising his cockney accent...

Prior to visiting the UK, I (like all Americans) firmly believed I could do a quite passable British accent. Now I know this isn't the case and I'm very self-conscious about it, so about the only thing I'd even dare attempt is something super-plummy, like a WWII Beeb announcer, or Bertie Wooster. I think American accents are much easier to mimic, and frankly, most people don't even get those right. 

31 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

though you might then need to look up "cockney rhyming slang"

I'm pleased to say I knew about rhyming slang even before I saw Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. 

12 minutes ago, Beard said:

What about Kendo Nagasaki and Mick McManus?

This is an awful lot of pale, pasty men in short shorts so early in my day.

• Haha 8

Saturday afternoons, the time when my otherwise kind and gentle mother turned into some kind of monster as Jackie Pallo did another foul move behind the referee's back.

Ah, the memories...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CedB said:

Saturday afternoons, the time when my otherwise kind and gentle mother turned into some kind of monster as Jackie Pallo did another foul move behind the referee's back.

Ah, the memories...

My great-grandmother Nellie was the same for Gorgeous George here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Procopius said:

This is an awful lot of pale, pasty men in short shorts so early in my day.

You mean, it's too early to be seeing such fine figures of men.

Whilst we're on the subject of British accents, how about this?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Beard said:

What about Kendo Nagasaki and Mick McManus?

this reminds me of visiting grendparents in Stoke as a child, it was on in the background,  if I was lucky I'd be part way though some Airfix kit, (I'm having flashbacks to a Blenhiem right now)  but worryingly the names are familiar.

Mr.P,  you maybe aware of this, but in the era of mine and Beards childhoods (eg the 70's) there was the whopping choice of all THREE British TV channels, yes THREE.

BBC1, ITV, BBC2.

How did we cope with such an array of choice!

Saturday afternoons were the worst for a lazy child who wished to stay indoors  and build models,  as BBC1 and ITV insisted on showing sport all afternoon, (which held no interest then or now) though the theme music was often pretty good, while BBC2 was showing programmes for the open university,  I have found memories of nearly incomprehensible shows on genetics (a good one with a model of fruit fly DNA being extracted)  and advanced mathematics,  (one one 4D mathematics and hypercubes spring to mind)

No, I'm not joking, I really would watch the Open University in preference...

I have tried to find a clip, I found this

while it is a comedy,  the actual maths programmes did really look and sound  like this.

OK, here you go, and now the Fry and Laurie clip should make more sense..

Oh, and the telly went off at about midnight.  

And, now I get the immense pleasure of trying to explain to my daughter who is used to a Sky box and Netflix,  let alone a DVD player,  what it were like when I were a lad

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I get the immense pleasure of trying to explain to my daughter who is used to a Sky box and Netflix,  let alone a DVD player,  what it were like when I were a lad

Aye, tell the kids today, they won't believe you!

Luxury.

(Note: I'm posting carefully after my wrist slapping over the VW diesel advert)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Oh, and the telly went off at about midnight.  

After playing the National Anthem.

I recall watching a lot of this as a boy:

(I recommend watching this to the end because there's some very groovy music in it. Repeating it 2 or 3 times will give you the authentic 1970's BBC experience.)

• Like 3

Saturday afternoon wrestling with Kent Walton “Good afternoon grapple fans”. Who needs WWF (no not the World Wildlife Fund).

Accents in the UK like the US I suppose come with baggage. Cockneys are cheeky chappies and Scousers (please not Liverpudlian) are scoundrels.

Anyone doing a Welsh accent invariably sounds as if they come from Mumbai not Mumbles.

Trevor 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Beard said:

After playing the National Anthem.

B2JdKLP.gif

20 minutes ago, Beard said:

I recall watching a lot of this as a boy:

Oh hey, I remember her from Life on Mars!

29 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Mr.P,  you maybe aware of this, but in the era of mine and Beards childhoods (eg the 70's) there was the whopping choice of all THREE British TV channels, yes THREE.

BBC1, ITV, BBC2.

How did we cope with such an array of choice!

I was aware! The 1970s in Britain strike me as being one of those fin-de-siecle-type decades, before the radical changes of the 1980s, and I'm fascinated by them. Here also, the whole decade reads like birthing pangs for the one to follow. Re: Open University, it's always been hard for me to grasp -- could people actually get a degree from it, by correspondence or something? The whole initiative seems radically egalitarian.

6 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Accents in the UK like the US I suppose come with baggage.

Oh yes. My mother (whose father -- not a nice guy -- came from Texas) has a violent aversion to southern accents. 

44 minutes ago, Beard said:

Whilst we're on the subject of British accents, how about this?

I did well at the start, but I'll admit to not being able to follow it once they got going. (I have a similar problem with AAVE, which is far more complex than I think popular portrayals convey.)

• Like 2