Question: A-20G in Russian service: how does one create the glass nose?

28ZComeback

I am interested in creating a glass nose for the Russian A-20G torpedo bomber (which was delivered with a solid gun nose). Please see below.  Since no aftermarket exists for such a modification, I was wondering if the members have any suggestions for modifying the nose?  My low-effort choices include:  fashioning a nose from the Douglas Boston; fashioning a nose from an A-20J, or using the solid nose to create a master for vacuforming a new glass nose (most time consuming). Any suggestions or advice is most welcome. I know the Boston's nose is the wrong shape, but it's the easiest solution. Sure hope Vector creates a mod. Thank you for your advice.A-20G_Orlenko_1.jpg

Hmmmm, looking at it I would go for vac form in three parts: the nose glazing and then the two halves of the main part split vertically all in clear plastic . 

It looks like there are too many windows too close together to do it in opaque plastic and then fit all the glazing neatly enough, so it needs to be integral.

Better ideas will be along in a bit!

MPM/Special Hobby have released a kit of the Boston A-20G as a Russian torpedo bomber, which seems to have this type of nose:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/112129-mpm-production-72556-a-20g-havoc-russian-torpedo-bomber-version

It is in 72 scale, though.

It looks like the Russians just cut windows into the original gun nose to me. I think vac forming a clear new nose over a adapted gun nose is the only way to get it 100% right. Personally though I wouldn't be that particular and would adapt an existing clear nose by sanding it down and polishing.

Over all the MPM Special Hobby answer is the best one.

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

How does the nose differ from the solid gun nose of the A-20 series? 

1 hour ago, old thumper said:

It looks like the Russians just cut windows into the original gun nose to me. I think vac forming a clear new nose over a adapted gun nose is the only way to get it 100% right. Personally though I wouldn't be that particular and would adapt an existing clear nose by sanding it down and polishing.

The VVS modified the G gun nose,  adding a navigator/aimer station.  initial G models had a navigator station in the rear fuselage.

The VVS modification varies between airframes,  but it is gun nose with added windows and nose cap (the  VVS was the main user of the Boston, so had plenty of B  and C for reference)

What I have not seen is a decent picture of the inside of the conversion.

The J nose is very different in configuration,  in 72nd you maybe able to modify  it, in 48th I doubt it.

10 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

or using the solid nose to create a master for vacuforming a new glass nose

is the only option I think that will work.

As you are in the USA, you might want to ask on somewhere like Hyperscale if anyone has a leftover Koster J nose,  this is a vac form in clear,  you'dstill need to make a nose cap, but the sides are possibly modifable,  though they do have engraved windows so it might not be that helpful (I just pulled out my Koster vac to  check)

There is a lot of information here, note the links as well.

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1007.0

note the drawings of the torpedo racks.

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1007.msg5738#msg5738

A VVS torpedo can be got from a Xuntong Tu-2 kit,  they come in all the boxings IIRC,  though  the tail tube might be harder to find.

I found the metal from a discarded  electronic cigarette to be the right size.

The nose modification has stalled this same project for me as well.

HTH

T

Thank you to all who answered and I deeply appreciate your thoughtful replies. My solution is to take a Boston nose and modify with new framework, possibly grafting a He-111 nose cone that appears to fit. Or I will go with the solid- Soviet torpedo units used both. Many thanks! 

On 16/11/2017 at 12:13 PM, old thumper said:

Over all the MPM Special Hobby answer is the best one.

That’s the route I would take too

• Like 1

On 16.11.2017 at 9:36 AM, Roman Schilhart said:

MPM/Special Hobby have released a kit of the Boston A-20G as a Russian torpedo bomber, which seems to have this type of nose:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/112129-mpm-production-72556-a-20g-havoc-russian-torpedo-bomber-version

It is in 72 scale, though.

It's also actually the same plane as in the foto