WW2 pilot figures

sapperastro

Hello all,

Just bought a nice revell 1/72 hurricane kit...and there is no pilot. As I usually make my aircraft 'in flight' on stands, this is the equivalent of not having a prop, or missing a tail section. I note in the instructions it has an option for wheels retracted (as any good kit should) but no pilot? Hurricane Remote Drone in WW2?

So I went looking for a pilot figure in flight kit...nothing. Plenty of pilots lounging around, or standing, etc, but no kits full of generic ww2 seated pilots.

So, if anyone has any ideas here, let me have em. Since I use them I have no spare pilots. Feeling like stuffy Dowding during the battle of Britain at the moment.

27 minutes ago, sapperastro said:

As I usually make my aircraft 'in flight' on stands, this is the equivalent of not having a prop, or missing a tail section. I note in the instructions it has an option for wheels retracted (as any good kit should) but no pilot?

For 'in flight' presentation I wouldn't worry about a missing prop, you wouldn't see it anyway but a missing pilot!

1 hour ago, johnd said:

How are they for fit, though? Do they need filing and hacking?

John.

Well, you have to file off some amount of plastic from the back and from the behind. When a person sits the body will mould itself after the seat, especially if the seat is hard, as the seat of warplanes usually are or were. And I have noticed that every plastic pilot moulded in a sitting position is moulded like the person was standing.

• Like 1

As made clear above, the PJ option is the best.

Nearly all seated pilot figures have some back and posterior removal required to get a good 'sit'.

To paraphrase others who have suggested modifications that made me quiver in fear for no good reason, 'this will not be a problem to fix'.

Michael 

There are also these, designed for tarting up your diecasts:

http://www.norton.co.uk/diecast-models-c20/aircraft-military-c536/hobby-master-hp0004-1-72-scale-wwii-pilots-pack-of-6-2-british-raf-2-japanese-2-german-luftwaffe-p9854

They'd benefit from some detail painting, but you do get 6 in a pack for £7...

best,

M.