AMT XB70 Valkyrie 1/72

This must be the first aircraft kit I've attempted for at least 20 years preferring to do vehicles. Anyway, I've always been fascinated by the XB70 so when I saw this AMT kit at an attractive price on Ebay I got tempted not realising just how huge this thing is. The kit itself was in very good condition, no damaged or warped parts. Only the decals had suffered ageing and yellowed a little. Construction was a challenge with such large parts, many not fitting too well leaving gaps and ridges.

ad763f10-be8d-4b7f-8467-093cb6947db4.jpg

5fafdb87-b7a5-4ab8-84db-d1acd3c548b6.jpg

ef913fec-a999-459a-9775-47553092b99b.jpg

21bf1211-3cf2-4778-96a8-78ef62e3301f.jpg

e81bfdb0-2737-47df-a169-b9cfbac55ce2.jpg

And I thought the Airfix 1/72 Vulcan was big.

723153a5-509b-4435-b67a-a6e0d74094dc.jpg

• Like 39

Well done!  

I started one of these about 20 years ago when the kit first came out....it's still not finished. But seeing your result, I may be a little more motivated to dig it out of the box it's in an see what I can do with it now.

• Like 1

This is amazing, you manage to get so unified white color on so big model.......that is not easy, for sure for me not.

I have Vulcan and that is one of biggest models in my collection....this beast is....wow :)

i am curious.....why wheels are silver, i allready sow that somewhere....but did not check why that color?

Anyway, great build

Best regards Djordje

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, djos said:

This is amazing, you manage to get so unified white color on so big model.......that is not easy, for sure for me not.

I have Vulcan and that is one of biggest models in my collection....this beast is....wow :)

i am curious.....why wheels are silver, i allready sow that somewhere....but did not check why that color?

Anyway, great build

Best regards Djordje

Apparently the tyres were aluminium coated to resist high temperatures.

21 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice Valkyrie :penguin: ... Ive seen the one at the usaf museum in Dayton ohio a few times. My friend has a photo of me in front of the nose gear and im the same height. Im 6’ 7”.

There is only the one surviving airframe. The second, and more capable example, was destroyed after a mid-air with an F-104 early in the test program. 

I made both sets of hinges and left them unglued to the tips and wings so that I can easily swap between up and down. They are quite a tight fit.

A brilliant rendition of this extraordinary beast.  I hope you will consider building the Airfix/Revell Concorde in the same scale.  They'd make an interesting comparison.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

A brilliant rendition of this extraordinary beast.  I hope you will consider building the Airfix/Revell Concorde in the same scale.  They'd make an interesting comparison.

The missus would have a fit if I did the Concorde too. She's already been whinging about where I'm going to put that 'big white thing', her name for the XB70 :huh:

• Like 1

On 11/14/2017 at 6:33 AM, VMA131Marine said:

Well done!  

I started one of these about 20 years ago when the kit first came out....it's still not finished. But seeing your result, I may be a little more motivated to dig it out of the box it's in an see what I can do with it now.

Its largely a matter of having the right tools on hand to do the job. A model of that size has a set of unique construction challenges all their own. I have the kit myself. Cut it off the sprues, test fitted it, and occasionally ponder the engineering behind its construction.

-d-

• Like 1

On 11/14/2017 at 12:51 PM, activexp said:

Apparently the tyres were aluminium coated to resist high temperatures.

Not just aluminium coated, but impregnated with aluminium. The tyres on the SR-71/YF-12 are of similar construction.

• Like 1