B.C. Beaver, CF-HGZ

This is my next one and here are some pics of progress so far.  Airfix kit of the 1970s and Whiskey Jack decals. Decided to use up the remaining half of the set.

This kit was VERY kindly sent to me by 'Cameraman'. So I will do my best and produce the model as best I can for you Stu!!

IMG_2924_zpsockotve4.jpg

IMG_2927_zps489pvbn9.jpg

IMG_2928_zps4yebib4f.jpg

The holes for the float struts are blank on the plastic but fint 'witness'marks show where they go. BUT, they are too high and so, as you see here thye are drilled lower down for the forward struts.

IMG_2929_zpsp6xfzb0z.jpg

The upper cabin windows will be filled and all those military protrusions will go.

IMG_2930_zpshhlousnp.jpg

Upper cabin windows being filled with the clear glued in place. The nice clear wndshield was and will be again masked during forthcoming work.

Cheers for now.

• Like 5

The previous photos are of work up to a couple nights ago. A bit more done last night and these next few pics show progress:

IMG_2931_zpsx0sexav5.jpg

Cabin roof window filler  from the inside...

IMG_2932_zpsy9tvuxee.jpg

IMG_2933_zpsjvdc4f0g.jpg

Wing tip 'sink holes' dealt with. Also scribed in surface lines and took back the rivets to a more subtle level. This also done to the fuselage rivets.

IMG_2934_zps7pohjcbl.jpg

IMG_2935_zpsbmtf8afo.jpg

IMG_2936_zpshx5z0mrv.jpg

Fuselage roof top 'military fit due to be removed and dealt with.

IMG_2937_zpss25sz1th.jpg

The floats in progress. Note, those raised lines around the forward end of the floats should not be there. For some reason the designer/toolmaker must have thought they were but what they really depict are the red prop warning stripes painted at the forward end of the floats and not part of the structure. Something got lost in translation I reckon.

IMG_2938_zpsnyphumae.jpg

The pile of sub assemblies and prepared parts so far.

IMG_2939_zpsqvutqmuk.jpg

IMG_2940_zpsfjjutuqj.jpg

Fuselage assembled and waiting for the wing. A bit more work for the scalpel/ wet and dry to reduce those rivets still needed here..

• Like 6

Hi Jaime. 

Yes it is painted a dark grey, Hard to tell due to the plastic colour being a dark greenish grey. I have since realised I forgot to add seat belts but have tidied up some of the inside painting and wings are now on. Alas, much of what I have done is now hard to see.  Almost ready for white primer and overalll whit top coat and decalling. Plus smaller detail painting and fitting.  Then its the floats.....

• Like 1

No time to do pics for the weekend, but I have it all assembled less floats. They need something a little different doing to them. There is a clue in post one introductory pic. Also I need to prime in white for an overrall gloss white finish .. but all this will be done soon....

• Like 2

Update time.  Some pics of progress.

IMG_2918_zpsjf70k4ks.jpg

Engine fitted and a touch of filler for the upper cowl intake not fitted to this subject.

IMG_2919_zpsgmdncakz.jpg

IMG_2920_zps6qtblyiy.jpg

A trial test fit with the chin intake. I found one in my spares that looked OK but has since come off as it was too wide... after I reshaped the part to make it look right...

IMG_2922_zpsmtsppfz0.jpg

IMG_2923_zpsjwklcuoc.jpg

Floats in assembly.

022_zpsgkpwuizl.jpg

And to bring us up to date, last night I sprayed on the white primer... after I fettled a new chin intake from laminates of plastic card (see below).This matches better to a few pics I have seen . There is quite a variation I found on various Beavers. But the my scratch made one closest resembles the one I can see in pics of my actual suject 'HGZ.

023_zpsngermx2g.jpg

I need to add wheels to the floats and I did start this on another build I haven't quite finished. Soooo.... what I plan to do, is rob the slightly started floats minus amphibious wheels form that build and transfer it across to this one.

• Like 4

Well, main gloss white is on successfully and all decals done. I will post pics of these stages later tonight. Also managed to swap the floats over from an incomplete Beaver as that had work started on them for the amphibious wheel arrangement needed for this particular build. 

• Like 1

Pics of decalling in progress:

IMG_2945_zpstbqkyh0n.jpg

Red trim on . The rudderpainted in red to match. The decal sheet will have you painting the ruder front horn in red too but this is not the case. see links to photos of the real HGZ.  The ragged line between the white and red will be rectified with some spare whit decal to tidy up the elevator/tail plane hinge line on both sides.

IMG_2946_zpsusup30rc.jpg

Underwing reg letters in place. Again the sheet shows the red goes further inwards but once again the pics below show its only the tips on HGZ.

IMG_2947_zpsln2zt2qd.jpg

A bit of tidying up around the engine front to do here. The wider portion of red on the cowl will be sorted out too.

IMG_2949_zpsnibxds5e.jpg

The rubbed down rivets still show subtly and look OK I think.   Note the floats in background with slots for the wheel struts.

http://www.dhc-2.com/759_CF-HGZ_unk_011968_Ruben Husberg Collection_565.jpg

http://www.dhc-2.com/759_CF-HGZ_Ian Macdonald_31101967_565.jpg

As can be seen, my build still has a bit more to have done and I hope to complete over the coming week.  

• Like 6

A couple more pics. Since these, the floats have been attached and am figuring out the wheel attachment. 

IMG_2945_zpssmtbledv.jpg

Slots were cut in at the nose end of the floats and bigger ones to take the bigger wheels set in to the bottom of the floats just behind the step. I will use the kit mainwheels and create a pair of support arms from plastic strip/card.   That little packet of tail wheels are from an Austrian member who sent those to try for my projected amphibious Beaver I was going to do a while ago. Thye came from a 1/72 ME109  with the taller tail wheel. I think they will be OK.  They also differ to those actually fitted to 'HGZ as the real one has a scissor link at forward edge of legs but these don't. Does any one here have suitable alternatives they can spare. They can be slightly bigger wheels as long as the scissor link is close to the photos in the link mentioned. 

IMG_2946_zpsox03cbkz.jpg

Just before the floats being added. When compared to those images in above links on my previous post, one can see the discrepancies between the decals and the real thing! Reg letters bigger, B.C. Airlines legend bigger, fin emblems bigger.... The chin intake I created is a bit too big but with all those other errors with the decals and things I think thye all balance out. I will live with it and accept it as is. Hope you all will too......;)^_^

• Like 6

Small update. Its practically finished now. Just a couple things like an aerial or two and a bit of tittivating here and there.   Going out tonight with my team at work on a social thing ... bowling  probably; so any new pics will be up over the weekend with the finished job.

• Like 1

Slight delay on proceedings. A bit of disruption to my plans outside of modelling but will be doing final pics tomorrow and for the Gallery.

• Like 1

Last couple  of the build sequence pics. Finished article in the gallery.

Thanks for all your support and comments.  Getting back to 'dry land' aeroplanes next.

Cheers.

IMG_2957_zpsxbb31lgx.jpg

Wheels in place. Bottoms and front end of floats had holes and slots cut into them where appropriate for the wheels. The big wheels are from the landplane version suppplied in kit and the 'nose wheels from ME109 kits but supplied to me following a request some months back.  They look OK...ish .   You can just make out support struts for the main wheels. All guess work.

IMG_2958_zps5aaaqv19.jpg

Discovered that, when they set, It is a tail sitter!!! Didn't bargain that it would need some nose weight to the floats to stop it leaning back. But a solution was found...

IMG_2960_zps15qiawlf.jpg

.....as I stuck it to a base!!!   The base is from a sample piece of flooring I had. The kind that is stuck to your floors rather than the other type of laminate flooring.  Wife didn't want it and so the two samples have become items in my shed for this purpose and one has been utilised as you can see here.  The model is firmly glued in place with cyano and the 'grass' from railway scenic flock. 

On the whole a reasonable result. Not perfect or my best build. This last pic shows it to be quite rough looking but it does look better in ..' the flesh!'

Once again thanks for following.Pics of completed build coming up over in the Gallery.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...