Kurun - maybe a fail, maybe not

Natter

Good afternoon All, Group Builds are a bit like buses; there are none I am interested in and all of a sudden four come alog at once.  At my rate of build I have no chance, so I shall throw my hat in the KUTA ring.

Kurun is a Norwegian Cutter built for a Frenchman and sailed around the world between 1949 and 1952.  Heller's kit is a 1/60th rendition and I am sure that there are officianados out there who will know what colour each part was at what stage of Kurun's life.  If you are one such officionado please click away now.

Bought from ebay in Feb 13 and started almost straight away, the bits have been awaiting renewed interest since shortly after the start of the build.  This is where I stopped:

38393805541_f2a3f94032_z.jpgIMG_0457

I was going to finish it for KUTA in 2015 and last year, but you know just which road is paved with such good intentions.  Here we are at KUTA X, so here we go......

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, a little progress.

I have lost count of how often I have broken off the uprights along the sides.  They are moulded on and get caught when handling the model.  At some stage I must have broken off at least half of them, several more than once.  I have reinforced several with little pins of 0.3mm wire.

38603436392_980d5d6029_b.jpg

The deck is light grey, the cabin a dark brown shade.  I preshaded some areas of the sides of the yacht to try and provide a bit of shadow when the white was airbrushed.

37747927965_1888c65e1a_b.jpg

Getting the white to cover was more difficult than expected.  The preshade shadow does not show at all in the photographs and is, perhaps, a little too subtle on the actual model.  The base was sprayed Tamiya Desert Yellow and then a brush of Burnt Umber oil paint brushed on with a still brush to try and imitate wood grain.

37747927415_3528c78e21_b.jpg

• Like 4

Hi All, I have to face the fact that I hate this model.  I won't bin it, but I have no idea when I will actually finish it.  Was the GB a fail?  Yes.  Was KUTA a fail - no.  I got fed up with Kurun so I decided to try something else simple to regain my mojo.  One Heller Me-163, one Airfix Spitfire Mk IX, almost finished the Heller Arado Ar96 (now complete) and almost finished the Matador Modles 1/76 Land Rover Lightweight (awaiting number plates); all before the KUTA deadline.  No, I didn't finish the Kurun, but as a KUTA it worked wonders.