Luftwaffe Mistel

expat555

Hi all,

I am building a Mistel 2 in 1/48. The old Dragon kit. I wanted to create a diorama and was wondering what the luftwaffe mechanics used to hoist the fw190 or the main aircraft on top of the "bomb". Obviously some sort of crane, but I looked and searched and found nothing of value. If anyone knows or has access to some pics, it would be great if he/she could share?

Thanks and best to all

bg

I read somewhere on some now defunct website that they used really large Tamiya-like magnets and flew them really close until they clicked together.:giggle:

.....Acually I have no idea what they used. I was thinking it would have to be an over head crane in a hanger but that only works if the finally result could get out of through the hanger doors.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, expat555 said:

Hi all,

I am building a Mistel 2 in 1/48. The old Dragon kit. I wanted to create a diorama and was wondering what the luftwaffe mechanics used to hoist the fw190 or the main aircraft on top of the "bomb". Obviously some sort of crane, but I looked and searched and found nothing of value. If anyone knows or has access to some pics, it would be great if he/she could share?

Thanks and best to all

bg

Although there are no pics of the mating the other photos would suggest it was done in a "proper" hanger....

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Arts/Art8007.htm

may be of some use?

• Like 2

Hi all and thank you for the replies.... Most probably they had an overhead crane/derrick the type found in naval dockyards. The FW-190 weighed in at 4,300Kgs loaded, so not a heavy-weight by any means. However it might have been a bit of a pain trying to position the FW and the crane in the proper spot not to cause and trouble whilst hoisting the plane. Moment of rotation, causing the crane to topple. Will scout through your links and go from there..

Thanks again and all the best

bg

I have the Mistel book by Robert Forsythe, and in it are some  vague photos of the warhead and an ME 109 being lifted and attached to the JU 88, all of this was done in a hanger. The caption is "By means of a 4 ton crane, the Bf 109 fighter is carefully hoisted towards the Ju 88 lower component." 

On 14/11/2017 at 05:12, expat555 said:

Most probably they had an overhead crane/derrick the type found in naval dockyards.

3 hours ago, nsmekanik said:

I have the Mistel book by Robert Forsythe, and in it are some  vague photos of the warhead and an ME 109 being lifted and attached to the JU 88, all of this was done in a hanger. The caption is "By means of a 4 ton crane, the Bf 109 fighter is carefully hoisted towards the Ju 88 lower component." 

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/mistel-composite-controls.35327/

The Ju 88 used for the Mistel program had their crew compartments removed at the after bulkhead, then these were re-fitted in place by means of quick-release fasteners. For ferry and training flights both the upper and the lower components were manned. At the last possible moment before an attack, the crew compartment was removed for the last time and the deadly hollow-charge warhead fitted in its place. This task required six mechanics, two armourers, and four ton capacity crane, and took one day. The process had an air of finality about it, for once the warhead-fitted Mistel had taken off the fighter pilot could not land the combination; whether it reached the target or not, the Ju 88 lower component was doomed.

BW-photo-Junkers-Ju-88G-Mistel-captured-

so the hangar theory seems correct.

from

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Ju-88/Ju-88-Mistel.html

a load of photos, including a few  in colour...

Color-photo-Junkers-Ju-88A-Mistel-II.KG2

Color-photo-Junkers-Ju-88G-Mistel-WNr-59

never seen these before (but not looked either )

• Like 1