PK-23 Tempest Indian Air Force

azureglo

The princely sum of £5.99 secured this immaculate and unmolested example of PK-23 which I will be doing as an Indian Air Force example and as proof of my Indian heritage , it will be seen in the gallery with my homemade Chicken Balti. Build will be enhanced by a failed Airfix Typhoon which will be cannibalized for parts, accurate or not. Should at least keep my F-5B company as it approaches primer and masking. I'm hoping that with some judicious dry fitting and fettling I should avoid the large amounts of priming and sanding that's been the F-5B to date.

boxtop.jpg

sprues.jpg

Cheers

Anil

• Like 10

17 hours ago, Franz75 said:

Ok, let's have it. What kind of decals yo will be using? 

I'll be attempting to use the kit ones for the Indian Air Force (the box says "Royal Indian air force, no such thing, India became independent in 1947 and has been a democracy ever since!) @Black Knight pointed out the Chakras (roundels) may be inaccurate and the fin flash will need to be repainted as its should be the orange in the Indian flag. I really like the Chakras and lots of resources have them this colour, they apparently represent Dharma, the Wheel of Life.

decals.jpg

17 hours ago, Beard said:

A Tempest II and Chicken Balti? All I need is some momo and I'll be in heaven.

Ah, had some  Momo last night courtesy of my Nepali neighbors, minced lamb, pork & veggie! Getting a lesson on how to make them tomorrow.

16 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

OMG! the colour of that plastic! My eyes!

Good luck, Anil.

(Primer, it needs primer ASAP!)

Delightful hues Pete, the 13 year old me loved the instant camouflage, much better than those naff Airfix kits all in one color.

Cheers all

Anil

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, azureglo said:

Ah, had some  Momo last night courtesy of my Nepali neighbors, minced lamb, pork & veggie! Getting a lesson on how to make them tomorrow.

I was given the recipe for Momo by an ex-Gurkha friend, along with the advice not to bother making them as frozen ones are easier!

Luckily, there's a couple of Nepalese cafés not far from me that serve momo, as well as other delicacies.

@Beard Basingstoke has a huge Nepali/Gurkha population, virtually all ex-servicemen granted residency and pensions after Joanna Lumley fought for the rights of these brave souls. I put the idea of using frozen Momo to my ex-Gurkha neighbor and his eyes widened then said he'd take his Kukri to anyone who froze a Momo! Passionate folk these Nepalese or maybe he's from Gurkha offshoot of Gordon Ramsey's clan. 

Anyhow back to modelling, got a week or two of inactivity looming due to a new contract but thought I'd "correct" those nasty brown Matchbox decals: First off I think the blue versions are the spurious fantasy of a profile artist on the Wings Palette site. Logically the colours would derive from the Indian flag. Then I found this handy little site. Now extrapolating colour from monochrome photos is at best a dubious pursuit but looking at this, I think it would be safe to assume the centre of this Chakra was the same colour at the spokes. A bit or artistic licence and few minutes with Adobe Illustrator  and voila:

newdecals.jpg

A bit of dithering but the colours are way more accurate and applied over masked white circles these should be infinitely better than the manure hued kit offerings.

Cheers

A

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Basingtoke has a huge Nepali/Gurhka population, virtually all ex-servicemen granted residency and pensions after Joanna Lumley fought for the rights of these brave souls. I put the idea of using frozen Momo to my ex-Gurkha neighbor and his eyes widened then said he'd take his Kukri to anyone who froze a Momo! Passionate folk these Nepalese or maybe he's from Gurkha offshoot of Gordon Ramsey's clan. 

Best him and my ex-CSM friend don't meet then... :D

Nice work on the Chakra.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Can't tell from the pic very easily, but are the prop tips yellow or just black like the rest of it?

Looking at pics, seemed to be both with and without yellow tips. My decision will also be influenced by how much I detest masking and spraying yellow,

A