Douglas Boston mk IV Havoc A-20G

Shelliecool

2017-11-11_05-46-40

I couldn't believe my luck back in the summer, when on a trip to Abingdon airshow I purchased this 1977 Matchbox kit, and so I'm ready to join the group build. This is a vintage kit, the box has a certain patina and the decals have aged some what but it's a nice looking kit, and I'm hoping some modern materials will help bring it to life.  The kit comes with a tri fold set of instructions, which for an older kit are nice and detailed, although I fear Humbrol may have discontinued some of the paints needed. 

2017-11-11_05-46-59

On opening, the tatty box revealed 3 sprues (one black, grey and brown), and a clear sprue. There is little to no flash, however, several parts have come loose. I have looked and believe (hope) all the parts are there.

2017-11-11_05-42-03

The kit offers 2 colour plans, and I have decided to go with 675th Bombardment Group 'Green Hornet'.

a4f9674fcf24c69b5b47dbdfcab36ac9--box-art-fame

This squadron were known as the 'Dauntless Demons' and we're involved in bomb attacks on Japanese airstrips in 1944. I think this kit may be a bit of a challenge, but I'm already enjoying the history attached to it. Let tue build commence.

• Like 9

Hi Michelle,

beautiful plane and great choice, although I have never seen the Matchbox kit. As much as I like the French option (go figure...), I would have decided in favor of the Green Hornet scheme too. Rather impressive, it is!

I suppose that like 90 % of BMers living in the UK, you must have gone to Telford this week end.. If yes, lucky you. 

I will be keeping an eye on your build, as it promises to yield some superb results.

Have fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

I began last night with the usual pre build wash, and decided to crack on with painting the cockpit. For this I used my old favourite cockpit green from Humbrol, with a spot of grey for the floor. I also gave the seats a coat of green, and painted the centre column of the stick green, with a black wheel (I used Google to source pics of the Havoc's interior). I then began work on the pilots, aiming for an authentic(ish) WW2 USAF look, I still have the flesh tones to add and alittle work to do on the goggles. So far so good.

2017-11-13_04-58-15

2017-11-13_04-58-03

• Like 2

Tonight I have finished working on the pilots, adding flesh tones, eyes and straps on the goggles. Once this was dry I brushed over the cockpit with weathering powder to give it a dirty look, then fixed the seat, pilot and stick into place.

DSC_3230

DSC_3230

Later I fixed the cockpit into the fuselage, and carefully glued both halves together. One half of the tail needs securing after, so I fixed this into place and held it there with tape.

DSC_3233

DSC_3234

DSC_3235

I then tackled the rest of the tail plane,gluing the halves together, and finally secured the nose section

As I plan to make the Green Hornet the nose cone is solid, with no clear parts. This went together well, everything seems pretty smooth so far.

DSC_3236

• Like 5

I was so excited to discover my new filler has been delivered when I got home from work today.  

DSC_3245

And before I get on to my build update, I have to say Perfect Plastic Putty has to be my product of the month. Not only is it easy to apply using the nozzle, it wipes clear easily with damp cotton buds.

Now back to the build, things are progressing nicely, I have fixed the distinctive tail plane into place, and attached the nose. This was all plain sailing, so I moved on to the canopy, which fitted perfectly (as had all the pieces....I was impressed), then I attempted to fit the small glass panel at the rear, and low and behold it was way smaller than the hole!!!😥 Undeterred, I fixed it the best I could hoping to fill the gaps. However, having to mess around with it has meant the glass has gone a little cloudy.... But hey ho, you can't win them all. I then got out the Perfect Plastic Putty and began filling any gaps, the stuff is amazing and apart from the fact that I'm going through cotton buds like there's no tomorrow, the stuff is amazing!  Here's a few pics of today's progress, I'm off for a mince pie and bottle of beer, night all.  

DSC_3239

DSC_3240

DSC_3241

DSC_3243

DSC_3244

DSC_3241

DSC_3242

• Like 7

Tonight I have spent time building the wings, one of the grey upper sections has had its tab broken off, but this is an old second hand kit, ant as the brown lower section has its tab in tact I'm not too worried. 

DSC_3253

I have held the wings together with some Tamiya tape, and while they were drying I gave the tyres and radial engines a coat of Revell black, (this is not really visible in the photos as the sprue itself is black. I have to say I'm really enjoying this kit, it is really nicely made, and so far going together like a dream. Time for a beer, nite night. 

DSC_3254

• Like 7

Good work sofar.

If the Tab is still in the box then try to place it as it will strengthen the joint. othertwise you could use a sheet of plastic.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Having spent last night securing the wings to the fuselage, and painting the undercarriage, tonight I began assembling the undercarriage and engine housing. This was very fiddly, and usually something I would assemble after painting, however because of the way the undercarriage fixes it has to be secured before painting. Once I had glued these in place (with a little tape for added security), I used my new filler to fill any gaps along the wings. Totally loving this strange looking aircraft. 

DSC_3255

DSC_3254DSC_3253DSC_3251

• Like 4

On a shopping trip to Cheltenham today, me and my family popped into the model shop to have a browse. I managed to pick up a few pots of paint, an Airfix Sopwith Camel for £2.50 and some fantastic tape. 

DSC_3261

I've been using it tonight and it is great. Back to the build now, I have spent time attaching the radial engines to the cowling (this went together superb, usually I've found these sections to be tight squeezes) and attached the engines to the wing. While these dry, I have also been masking the cockpit glass ready for primer. So far so good.  

DSC_3260

• Like 3

nice nice, it was a first kit I did. I was 8 and I used school paper glue, and it didn't work out. Then my father explained to me that I have to use different glue. It was fun.

For clear parts use super glue it want react with plastic and it gives you a nice clear finish. 

• Like 1

I should have guessed everything was going too well, today I discovered how much of a tail sitter the Hornet is! Not deterred I created a hole where the nose wheel goes and added some lead fishing weights, it was very fiddly but the best I could do. I then carefully filled the gap and left her to dry.

DSC_3268

Later, having masked up the wheels and engines I gave her a coat of primer.....back on track I hope!

DSC_3272

• Like 5

I totally missed your build Michelle, you have done a great job so far!

I like detail paint on the aircrew, I was, in fact, painting my crew for my Helldiver and realised they would not fit due to the mods to the seats I had made. So now I have a pair of pilots ready for future builds.

Nice recovery with the nose weight

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

It looks fantastic in the gallery Grey, I've a lot to live up to! 

Michelle. 

Hi Michelle,

You are doing a fine job, I am sure it's going to be a good I'm.

Cheers Greg :clap:

• Thanks 1

So tonight I masked up the aircraft so I could paint the grey underside. This will be the second build I am attempting to paint using an airbrush (the other being the Fiat I am working on for the radial engines GB). Airbrushing the Fiat has gone surprisingly well so far, so tonight I selected my Revell medium grey, carefully mixed it with Revell thinner and a drop or two of flow improver and set to work. I am a beginner at this airbrushing malarkey, but it went on, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

DSC_3273

• Like 8

With the varnish dry last night I carefully masked up the grey areas, and set to work with the airbrush. I'm never too keen using Humbrol olive drab as it seems quite powdery, however I mixed it up with Humbrol thinners and flow improver and set to work. I'm fairly happy with the result, and once dry will seal it in with Quick Shine. 

DSC_2625

DSC_2624

DSC_2623

• Like 6

Hi Michelle,

progress has been swift since I last looked at your build!

I was wondering if you had thought about weight in the nose, until I read your post confirming you hadn't. Oooops! I am afraid most modelers have made the same booboo at least once...

Re foggy clear parts, you may want to invest in a tube of Tamiya polish compound and some fine grit sanding/polishing cloths (Micromesh, etc.). That should restore most clear parts to a nice sheen. That is another problem we all face more often than not.

Great build!

JR 

• Thanks 1

Having varnished the olive drab last night, I tentatively unmasked the grey to discover a few areas where the olive had bled🙄. So out comes the tape and plastic, and I remarked several areas. Then I re-airbrushed a few areas 🤞. With the airbrush still out (it's my new favourite thing) I carefully airbrushed the props using Revell black mixed with Revell thinner and flow improver. I'm now having a beer while she dries🍺.

DSC_2630

• Like 6