Question about F-15C AMRAAM pylons (Gulf War)

Phantome

Ok, got another Gulf War question

Some F-15Cs during the Gulf War carried AMRAAMs and as I understand it, usually just two in the inner rail of the wing pylon. This would presumably mean that this rail had the LAU-128 pylon rather than the older style. However, would the outer rail which had AIM-9s also used the LAU-128 or would have kept the older type?

I presume at some point in the 90s all the rails were switched to LAU-128s but given that the AMRAAM has hastily deployed to the Gulf War, whether just the necessary launchers were switched too.

Thanks!

P.S. I could not find any F-15 Gulf War pic carrying AMRAAMs hence the question...

They weren't used, that's certain, but it is my understanding that they were deployed... which means at some point they must have been fitted on an F-15 even if by that point in the conflict they had nothing to shoot down

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DqaZBwAAQBAJ&pg=PT68&lpg=PT68&dq=amraams+fired+gulf+war&source=bl&ots=KsI4uWX_Q4&sig=pw13WYWG3xalMnIj_vleGL08P9Y&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjB9ti8rbfXAhWQ2KQKHT1fBqIQ6AEITDAF#v=onepage&q=amraams fired gulf war&f=false

Eglin F-15Cs carried AMRAAMS for the last couple weeks of the war, but they did not have an opportunity to employ them.  The standard load was 2 x AIM-120A (inboard wing stations), 4 x AIM-7M, and 2 x AIM-9M (outboard wing stations) along with three external tanks.  Since stocks were building up they still used the old rails for the AIM-9s and the new rails (LAU-128) for the AMRAAMs.  Pic below of an Eglin Eagle carrying that load.

NTxm5U4.jpg

Regards,

Murph

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/15/2017 at 8:47 PM, Murph said:

Eglin F-15Cs carried AMRAAMS for the last couple weeks of the war, but they did not have an opportunity to employ them.  The standard load was 2 x AIM-120A (inboard wing stations), 4 x AIM-7M, and 2 x AIM-9M (outboard wing stations) along with three external tanks.  Since stocks were building up they still used the old rails for the AIM-9s and the new rails (LAU-128) for the AMRAAMs.  Pic below of an Eglin Eagle carrying that load.

NTxm5U4.jpg

Regards,

Murph

Excellent, just as I had thought!