Yakovlev Yak 3 Eduard 1/48

Hello to all,

after the vintage race car Fiat 806 Corsa 1/12, my last build, and the american classic car Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible 1957 1/25, I am happy to present here a very different model: the nice Yakovlev Yak 3 Eduard at 1/48.

The decision to build this kit comes from my indescriblable enthusiasm for the great Juan Manuel Villalba's "Guide du maquettisme aéronautique" (Histoire et collections ed.), in which, through others, the famous modeler dedicated several pages to a wonderful Yak 3 (everything this man touches turns to gold, imho). My build began in april 2016 and finished in july of the same year. 

I decided to follow the steps of the master, and came in contact with him (he is not only a great artist, he is also a delicious man, of an extreme kindness).

He replied patiently to all the questions I had (and I had many...), and with the book and his hints, I learnt a lot. I would like so much to meet him, we are regularly in contact by mail, but pity, we live so far apart...

To be honest, I must say in this build, most of the ideas were not mine but his ones (he would say the contrary, and that definitely, it is my personal work, he is so kind...). I was most of the time just trying to reproduce what he had done before me. I am not ashamed to say that, Woody Allen was also influenced by other directors, before finding his own style (I am a fan).

Well, let's leave Juan (he is so modest, he would be embarrassed if I go on...) to see the pics: I will begin with a few photos, screen captures from videos found on YouTube, of the real aircraft, on a restored version:

IpBhZN.png

lqiFKb.pngpLhtxM.pngs38d5U.pngWuaTTB.png83ZYKD.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and now the build. My pics will follow logically the steps of construction. Just a word about the kit: except the decal sheet, of quite poor quality, this Profipack Eduard kit is excellent. I have been so critical (rightly) about the Fiat and the Chevrolet, it is fair and important to say too when a kit is very good... 

Of course, if there are questions, I will reply with pleasure...

J8Sx1v.jpg

ZMLggJ.jpg

86qlTP.jpgUVrXUM.jpgCf303d.jpg

U4Xt67.jpgLQLVX4.jpgwtpC5h.jpgtugLod.jpgKWV08v.jpg2NDYYM.jpg

0LYEKD.jpgFqvH9d.jpgu1ziVk.jpg

iJOZzQ.jpgwszHNS.jpglGr8V9.jpgN1gZ2C.jpgeOO3Zx.jpgXK9hkt.jpgyfCaXy.jpg7e8ul8.jpg3Ml9Jo.jpgVRu0Jl.jpgWp6Psr.jpgzMCYJw.jpggOFwnq.jpgYBlXzR.jpgCrkYa8.jpg

PWrZg2.jpgN64MPb.jpgDt8W7X.jpgU8ckUr.jpg2Oj74G.jpgvQUb5q.jpgQ0PSL7.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all for your kind comments. I insist on the fact that I followed the JMV steps, always very logical and thoughtful...

By the way, I have decided what will be my next build. After the pioneer work that has been the vintage race car Fiat 806 (187 pages on the "research and scratchbuilds" thread), I wanted just to have fun with model making and improve my skills.

Yet I had done the french translation for the subtitles on the last DVD of JMV. This DVD, a pure pleasure, that I recommend it to anyone interested in model making, is dedicated to the P 51D Mustang. The Tamiya kit is used, and the version is the Missouri Armada (357th F.G). I don't know yet if I will open a new thread about this build, but it is quite probable.

All the best to all

Weathering on the red cowling:

if I remember well, I first applied a base coat of Tamiya acrylic red thinned with X20A, the Tamiya thinner. Then I applied with my airbrush (1 bar) on the structure lines a mix of XF10 and XF1, thinned a lot with 96° alcohol (paint 10% thinner 90%) to get a shadow effect. Then, I applied in the structure lines a wash (mix of enamel mat brown and black thinned a lot with Tamiya X20 enamel thinner). Then I used the Giotto Mega silver pencil (all that on JMV prescriptions) for the chippings.

Wheel wells:

Here too, apply first a base coat in the same conditions, then apply the shadows with Tamiya acrylics thinned a lot with alcohol, then add the lights with a paintbrush and Vallejo acrylic paint (base color lightened) on the reliefs. You can, this is facultative, emphasize them using a fine graphite pencil (0,3 mm).

Hope this will help.