Iceberg and After

15 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Does anyone know if BPF roundels were Roundel blue or US Insignia blue?

I suspect British Roundel Blue as they would have been painted by RN personnel rather than factory applied. If they were factory applied then probably US blue on US built aircraft and British on Seafires, Fireflies and Barracudas. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 825 said:

I suspect British Roundel Blue as they would have been painted by RN personnel rather than factory applied. If they were factory applied then probably US blue on US built aircraft and British on Seafires, Fireflies and Barracudas. 

I'm inclined to agree they'd be British Roundel Blue as well, with the faint possibility of some USN Insignia Blue touchups as supplies ran thin.

On 10/31/2018 at 2:37 PM, Beard said:

perhaps a RN blue

On 10/31/2018 at 3:07 PM, tonyot said:

I would go with British Dull Roundel Blue for the BPF markings but US Insignia Blue could also have been used.

On 11/1/2018 at 6:32 AM, 825 said:

On 11/1/2018 at 12:53 PM, Procopius said:

I'm inclined to agree they'd be British Roundel Blue as well, with the faint possibility of some USN Insignia Blue touchups as supplies ran thin.

OK, Roundel blue it is.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone - it's great to be back.

Roundel blue on.

100_1138

I've decided to try for the Seafire in this photo. It's coded 'S 147' while the Sword kit comes with decals for 'S 146', what to do, what to do?

Oh, let's see how small the digital cutter can go.

100_1139

The Silhouette performed marvelously, but now I have to place a teeny triangle in the crook of the number '4'. We'll see.

Now with the white.

100_1140

Ta-Da!

100_1141

There's still a bit of clean up to do, but it's a much better result than the first attempt on the Hellcat above, so trending in the right direction anyway.

More cleanup needed here, the triangle in the '4' turned out OK.

100_1142

Not so much on this side.

100_1143

I'm gonna have to start just displaying all models with painted roundels upside down.

100_1144

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Lovely job, Cookie, especially considering the scale :clap: 

I'd go for a brush touch up on that "4"

I only think that the white has a bit too much of a blue-ish hue; I know you paint white last for roundels, to avoid those nasty white rings, but maybe you could anyway  go with an off-white first, to get a better coverage? Just my :2c:

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

I only think that the white has a bit too much of a blue-ish hue; I know you paint white last for roundels, to avoid those nasty white rings, but maybe you could anyway  go with an off-white first, to get a better coverage? Just my :2c:

I had to go very light with the white as the masks were beginning to come loose in places - the Oromask spent the summer in a New Mexico garage - and trying to replace them between blue and white application would, I felt, have led to even greater complications. So I just sort of misted it on to prevent as much overspray as possible. I think the coverage would have been fine if I could just have blasted it on without worrying about the lifting masks.

Here they are after some cleanup.

100_1147

100_1148

And I've gotten started on painting the TSS Hellcat.

100_1145

100_1152

I'm using Vallejo in order to represent the 'equivalent' paints used by Grumman, so I think I'll have to mask for the Extra Dark Sea grey as the overspray is not controllable enough to freehand it.

Oh, and this was waiting for me on my return to New Mexico - a gift from Stew Dapple himself.

100_1153

Thanks Stew!

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Oh, and this was waiting for me on my return to New Mexico - a gift from Stew Dapple himself.

100_1153

Thanks Stew! 

That's a splendid gift which proves just what a splendid bloke Stew is and I'm looking forward to you building it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

had to go very light with the white as the masks were beginning to come loose in places - the Oromask spent the summer in a New Mexico garage - 

Ah, the dreaded New Mexico climate! :(

Then it all makes perfectly sense. Anyway, painted roundels look way better than decals, IMHO, especially after your touch ups :clap:

Hellcat is already looking nice, and so is Stew's gift! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Great stuff Cookie and I'm pleased to see the cutter coming into its own on the tail numbers - lovely stuff.

Looking really smart - great job :) 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2020 at 2:58 PM, giemme said:

:wow:Excellent free hand airbrushing, Cookie!  Can you post some more info on your airbrush?

Thanks Giorgio!

The airbrush is the GSI Creos Procon PS 770.

jppZtlto_o.jpg

It's apparently very similar to an Iwata Custom Micron at 1/3 the price, and I have to say it's probably the nicest airbrush I've used yet. I found out through necessity that it sprays water based Vallejo paints without complaint even with its 0.18mm nozzle. Here are a couple of video reviews:

Long Review

Short Review (with other brushes as well)

I also purchased this last summer, when I had no bench but was working lots of overtime and wanted to feel that it was all worthwhile:

G9PjqZMu_o.jpg

It's the Olympos Micron, apparently the ancestor to the aforementioned Iwata Micron, and again 1/3 the price. It has a 0.18 mm nozzle as well, but is almost impossible to use with Vallejo water based paints, but it definitely has a finer spray pattern than the PS 770 and I anticipate that it will be phenomenal with Colourcoats or lacquer based paints. Unfortunately, it will be a little while before I find out as I had the needle guard removed in order to be able to constantly clean the needle from the persistent dry tip it suffered when using Vallejo, and managed to ram it into the glass cleaning pot when I was dumping out the cup!

On 2/25/2020 at 7:34 AM, CedB said:

Great looking camo Cookie :) 

Thanks Ced!

I'd recommend a couple water bottles camouflaged with well thinned Colourcoats and your H&S with the 0.2 mm nozzle as good practice for free hand camo. If you're anything like me, it'll go horrible at first, and then OK, but with unacceptable overspray, and then, when you're about to give up, you'll realize that it's looking pretty good and is ready to use on an actual build.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 5:12 PM, Cookenbacher said:

Thanks Giorgio!

The airbrush is the GSI Creos Procon PS 770.

jppZtlto_o.jpg

It's apparently very similar to an Iwata Custom Micron at 1/3 the price, and I have to say it's probably the nicest airbrush I've used yet. I found out through necessity that it sprays water based Vallejo paints without complaint even with its 0.18mm nozzle. Here are a couple of video reviews:

Long Review

Short Review (with other brushes as well)

I also purchased this last summer, when I had no bench but was working lots of overtime and wanted to feel that it was all worthwhile:

G9PjqZMu_o.jpg

It's the Olympos Micron, apparently the ancestor to the aforementioned Iwata Micron, and again 1/3 the price. It has a 0.18 mm nozzle as well, but is almost impossible to use with Vallejo water based paints, but it definitely has a finer spray pattern than the PS 770 and I anticipate that it will be phenomenal with Colourcoats or lacquer based paints. Unfortunately, it will be a little while before I find out as I had the needle guard removed in order to be able to constantly clean the needle from the persistent dry tip it suffered when using Vallejo, and managed to ram it into the glass cleaning pot when I was dumping out the cup!

Thanks Ced!

I'd recommend a couple water bottles camouflaged with well thinned Colourcoats and your H&S with the 0.2 mm nozzle as good practice for free hand camo. If you're anything like me, it'll go horrible at first, and then OK, but with unacceptable overspray, and then, when you're about to give up, you'll realize that it's looking pretty good and is ready to use on an actual build.

Nice work with the airbrush!

I have a Gunze procon boy 270, next one down from yours I think, with a 0.2mm head assembly bought last year. Like your 770 it’s the nicest airbrush that I’ve used so far. 

James

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 11:20 AM, giemme said:

Thanks Cookie :thumbsup: Have you tried it with Lifecolor yet? TIA

I haven't yet, but will soon, and will be sure to let you know Giorgio.

4 hours ago, rob85 said:

I appear to have been missing out!! Nice work so far cookie.

Thanks Rob! My builds have been a little erratic the last couple years, but I've got these two (Hellcat, Seafire) almost over the line now.

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Feeling a bit of airbrush jealousy of that Olympos Micron, Cookie.

It is really nice, but I fear it should only be used with enamels and lacquers.

2 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice work with the airbrush!

I have a Gunze procon boy 270, next one down from yours I think, with a 0.2mm head assembly bought last year. Like your 770 it’s the nicest airbrush that I’ve used so far.

I've been very tempted with a 270 after being so impressed with the 770, I 'm glad to here it's just as impressive. I did pick up the 289 with the 0.3 mm nozzle for more general work, and I'm really enjoying it too.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

It is really nice, but I fear it should only be used with enamels and lacquers.

Pretty much all I use these days, bud! Can you let me know where you got yours?