We need more pics, Cookie :whistle::D

Be careful what you ask for!

100_1095

100_1097

100_1099

100_1108

100_1106

100_1098

Oh, and this arrived recently. Watch out, Cookie has his own Monforton.

100_1116

A couple of observations from my first thumb through:

- The radiator covers on the Mk IX are not 'handed', they're the same on both sides (although the internals are different).

- You know how the ailerons on the new Eduard kit seem funny as they don't sit flush with the wing trailing edge? Well Eduard read their Montforton, the ailerons don't sit flush with the trailing edge. What other earth shattering revelations await!?!?!

Also, this arrived recently:

100_1117

A gift from the mighty Procopius himself - thanks PC!

Not pictured is a 1/72 Academy Corsair that my dear mother bought for my birthday in a local craft store just because it was an airplane, and my love of aircraft is quite (embarrassingly) well known in these parts. What she had no way of knowing was that it was the correct scale, and that I'd been plotting to acquire another Corsair to paint in TSS - everything is coming up Cookie!

So the next triple will be the ongoing Seafire and Hellcat, along with the Academy Corsair - all in TSS. The plan is to paint the Seafire in Colourcoats with their exact matches, the Hellcat in Vallejo to represent Grumman 'equivalents' and the Corsair in Olive Drab/Gunship grey to represent the Vought 'substitute' colors.

Then it will be on to the Avenger and Barracuda.

Unfortunately, the next phase will have to wait for a bit. I'm planning on beginning my road trip to find my next place to live (and breath) this week, with the first stop being San Diego, California to visit family and job hunt. I'm debating bringing along a box of modelling supplies, but I'm not sure if it will be too much hassle.

• Like 16

Beautiful Cookie, just beautiful. You'll have me painting marking soon (...er than you think!)

Have a good trip and good luck with the house hunting - is California better for breathing than New Mexico? When I was in LA it was a bit, er, brown aired? :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the added pics, Cookie - looking great! :clap: 

11 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Unfortunately, the next phase will have to wait for a bit. I'm planning on beginning my road trip to find my next place to live (and breath) this week, with the first stop being San Diego, California to visit family and job hunt. I'm debating bringing along a box of modelling supplies, but I'm not sure if it will be too much hassle.

San Diego is on my radar, as you know, so I vote for it, FWIW :wink: 

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

And it has a moored aircraft carrier converted into a museum!

Even more interesting, thanks PC! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's a long boring story, but I haven't left on my trip yet. The upside is that I can do some more building.

I robbed a pair of metal horizontal stabilizers from an Eduard Mk VIII kit - I replaced those with some resin ones so future me won't be too mad when he opens the box again. I'm also trying a glopped on trail of enamel paint to try to rid myself of the faintest remnant of a seam line on the nose - it's too shallow for superglue to 'grab'.

100_1122

I used @Stew Dapple's method to attach the wing - after reading about it in @CedB's current Spitfire thread. It worked a treat.

And with a quick check of @Bedders Seafire thread to get the nose right - filled in the panels on the cowling underside.

100_1119

The second Hellcat is coming along too.

100_1126

And yes, Hellcats are still gimormous.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

It is big isn't it? It looks like the box the Seafire came in :D

Excatly my same thought :D:D

All looking good, Cookie :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the canopies masked and the Seafire's is attached.

100_1127

Also filled the holes for the unused cannon fairings using the extraneous rockets from the Hellcat kit, and then drilled the holes for the .303's.

Primered in Stynyrez black.

On 2/17/2018 at 3:41 PM, CedB said:

Stew's method works well eh, once you've girded your loins and decided it really is lined up :)

I think that Stew's method may work so well that it actually helps to have the landing gear bays installed. There was a step along the top of the wing root and this may have been avoided if the bay walls were prying the wing halves just a tad. We'll find out on my next Sword Spitfire/Seafire build.

100_1128

I've been using 0.5 mm tape for walkway stencils, but now I have this:

100_1129

If 0.5 is good, then 0.4 must be better (but 0.3 is right out).

100_1130

• Like 8

She's already looking a beauty Cookie B)

I've got some of the Aizu tape too, I found it the other day when I was looking for a Tamiya tape refill. I don't have any recollection of buying it at all . Do you remember buying yours? Maybe our tool boxes are being 'seeded' by Aizu... :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 2

Great stuff Cookie :)

I have some Aizu tape too so will be adopting your method in the future (if I remember...)

• Like 1

Cookie, the Hellcat looks great and you really seem to have nailed those BPF roundels. Nice job. It pairs beautifully with the Corsair. Good to see your progress with the Seafire too. Mine was one of my most enjoyable builds, so seeing yours come together brings back happy memories.

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Well, after a fruitless trip around the country trying to find a vocation, I'm back at my folks' place.

The stash is still frustratingly out of reach, but I found these in a box in my parent's garage, hello old friends.

IMG_4805

So I painted the bottom of the Seafire, Colourcoats Sky.

IMG_4806

I had to refine my technique a bit and shake off the rust as the plan was to do the TSS camo freehand.

Ah, there we go: a smaller needle, thinner paint, lower pressure and beginning to remember how to airbrush.

IMG_4807

Outlined the Dark Slate grey as carefully as I could.

Then filled it in.

IMG_4808

Then on with the Extra Dark Sea grey.

IMG_4809

IMG_4810

Almost ready for some more mask experiments.

Does anyone know if BPF roundels were Roundel blue or US Insignia blue?

• Like 13

Cookie, I have no idea either, but I do know I'm very glad to see you back at the workbench!! :yahoo: :thumbsup:

And from what I see, you haven't lost your touch! :clap: :clap:

Looking forward to your masking experiments - wait: you mean on the model, right - not Halloween? :frantic: :rofl:

Ciao

• Haha 2

What a superb collection so far and I love the painting of the Seafire so far,......spot on! I would go with British Dull Roundel Blue for the BPF markings but US Insignia Blue could also have been used.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Cookie,

So sorry for the fruitless searches 

But very glad to see you back at the bench, I really love the thread !

Sorry if I messed with the likes on page 1 and 2, I did'nt remember that I already have paid a look last year :whistle:

So SMW 2019 will be really great since I will be there to with BS 103 AND some kits...

Now I must consider buying some more rocket fuel !!

Great job on your Seafire.

Congratulations :mike:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1