Iceberg and After

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I used red poster paint to show the red interior portion of the dive breaks through the perforations. Just slathered some on (as seen on the right wing) and then wiped off as seen on the left.

Nice use of poster paint Cookie and the Helldiver looks most splendid. As you've now included a Barracuda, I feel that I ought to mention that the BPF would have used Walruses (as well as Seafires).

• Like 4

Looking absolutely ace, Cookie! :clap:  :clap: 

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

(no yogurt cup yet Giorgio!)

You still have plenty of chance, with all that Corsair frenzy going on ... :D

Ciao

• Like 1

Your welcome and there's some nice BPF schemes with a splash of colour here and there on Vengeance's Barras.

Helldiver looks lovely btw- proper chunky aeroplane isnt it!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Good job Cookie, it's a hard plane to make beautiful, but you did it B)

Thanks Stew, It's definitely not a looker. I like how building a model of a subject really gives a perspective that no other act of study can. The thing that really stands out about the Helldiver to me now, is how close the wing trailing edge is to the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizers. They're practically on top of each other, and the big ol' nose just sticks way out in front.

15 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Nice, will be a good set once complete

Thanks Neil, this build could go on for quite some time!

14 hours ago, Beard said:

Nice use of poster paint Cookie and the Helldiver looks most splendid. As you've now included a Barracuda, I feel that I ought to mention that the BPF would have used Walruses (as well as Seafires).

The Walrus must be added to the list then! I have a Seafire on the way, and I'm still searching for a Special Hobby Firefly I.

I did a little searching as the result of your suggestion and It seems that the best Walrus kit may still be the Matchbox/Revell one - do you agree Simon? Of course, Airfix may downsize their new 1/48 kit any time now.

13 hours ago, giemme said:

Looking absolutely ace, Cookie! :clap:  :clap: 

Thanks Giorgio!

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Great finish Cookie and that red looks really effective - good job!

Thanks Ced, I knocked down the red just a little since, as it showed up so brightly in the pics.

8 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Your welcome and there's some nice BPF schemes with a splash of colour here and there on Vengeance's Barras.

Helldiver looks lovely btw- proper chunky aeroplane isnt it!

Excellent, I seem to remember that an Xtradecals sheet has one of those schemes - I'll have to check.

The Helldiver is chunky indeed, I can't wait to park it next to a Seafire and compare.

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great! The weathering and stencils make the overall finish look a lot more interesting. It looks very lived-in.

Thank you Adrian, I was really hoping that would be the result.

I should mention the RFI for the Helldiver is up now.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

[...] I'm still searching for a Special Hobby Firefly I.

There's one on UK eB*y at the moment. I briefly thought about bidding on it, But noticed all that resin and decided my Frogspawn one will do me.

[...] I have a Seafire on the way [...]

The original boxing of the Sword Seafire III, from HLJ, I presume.

The Walrus must be added to the list then!

Ah, the power of suggestion.

I did a little searching as the result of your suggestion and It seems that the best Walrus kit may still be the Matchbox/Revell one - do you agree Simon?

My brief covers Spitfires and Seafires, not Walruses, so I am unable to answer that question. I am, however, led to believe that the Matchbox Walrus is better (much, much better) than the Airfix one. Valom make a Seagull V.

Of course, Airfix may downsize their new 1/48 kit any time now.

Are you prepared to wait that long?

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2017 at 2:32 PM, Beard said:

The original boxing of the Sword Seafire III, from HLJ, I presume.

That's the one!

I like to build in threes, so the Helldiver and Corsairs are the first set. The Seafire and Eduard Hellcats will be the second set. The third set will depend on whether my stash is available or not, but we've determined the following builds to be eligible:

- Barracuda (the SH kit is in the stash)

- Walrus (kit to be acquired at some point - Matchbox or miracle arrival of new tool Airfix [it could happen])

- Avengers - BPF TSS scheme, and USN tri-color in same Randolph stripes as the Helldiver. (I have an Academy kit that I picked up for a song, but I'd prefer Hasegawa)

- Firefly (kit to be acquired)

- Another BPF Corsair in TSS (kit to be acquired - the Tamiya kit is relatively easy to come by, and I've got the decals already)

- Another Seafire - this one from Implacable (Sword kit is in the stash)

- Another Hellcat - USN ace Carmichael's in Randolph stripes (won't say how many Eduard Hellcats are in the stash [hint: not as many as Eduard Spitfires])

Some progress on the Corsairs, the Colourcoats Glossy Sea blue (and Non-Spec Sea blue on the anti-glare panel) is on the USN bird.

100_0881

I had some blue still in the airbrush cup, and so I thinned it way down and put a very light coat on the BPF Corsair to see if any of the pre-shading would show through. It will be the subject of the next update - oh the suspense.

I thinned down a mix a Lifecolor acrylic Non Spec Sea blue and Light grey and did some post shading.

100_0883

100_0885

Then blended them together with a highly thinned mix of Lifecolor Glossy Sea blue and Light grey.

100_0886

Airbrush Note (feel free to skip): The Lifecolor was sprayed with an Iwata Eclipse that is supposed to have been designed for acrylics - it definitely worked as advertised - no tip dry despite the dry desert air. In fact, despite its 0.35 mm needle, it clogged much less than the 0.5 mm brushes now denied to me in storage.

• Like 8

Thanks Giorgio!

Alright, here are a couple of reference pics for the BPF Corsair IV:

Corsair IV, X-135

Corsair, A-112

I've read in a few places (thank you @Dana Bell) that there were two formulations for WWII Glossy Sea blue (not to be confused with the post war Glossy Sea blue mentioned above - so that's really three Glossy Sea blues that can be modelled!). Both of the WWII Glossy Sea blues were the same color, but the earlier version tended to weather and 'chalk' easily, while the second formulation was very robust.

From the Corsair reference pics, it can be deduced that these aircraft had the 'early' formulation, in contrast to the recently completed Helldiver, which had the later Glossy Sea blue.

The upshot is that I can't just spray the GSB with abandon for a nice even finish on the Corsairs.

The Corsair IV - first coat.

100_0880

After a second coat, and lightened third coat.

100_0893

The painted over roundels are the post war shade of Glossy Sea blue - it's  a little darker than the WWII shade, and I wanted to be certain of some contrast. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out compared to the reference pic, and I think fading has turned out about right.

100_0896

I wasn't sure what color to paint the external tank, it looks white in the pic, but I assume that BPF centerline Corsair tanks would have been Sky, but I suppose it could be one borrowed from USN stocks. I compromised and painted it with a mix of Sky, white and Light grey.

100_0898

Contrasted with the GSB.

100_0899

I should really desaturate that pic and see how they compare to the B&W reference pic.

In the same way the USN Corsair will also feature the early 'fading' Gloss Sea blue.

Corsair 172

Corsair 170

Essex deck

Note how the 'G' Markings have been masked with single bit of tape, allowing overspray on the edges.

Well, here we go.

100_0900

I used 0.5 mm masking tape as that is a thin as I dared to go. I was confident of my new found abilities with the forgiving Colourcoats paint. Unfortunately, the paint curdled up in my airbrush cup which had never happened before. After frantically cleaning out the airbrush, I tried again. It curdled again. I must have contaminated my pot of white Colourcoats paint somehow (it sprayed beautifully on the Helldiver). Dang it.

I steeled myself and filled the cup with Vallejo flat white.

100_0902

You win some, you lose some.

I got out my ratty brush I use for stippling and drybrushed/stippled on some Glossy Sea blue to cover up the overdone overspray.

100_0904

Better.

100_0905

100_0912

100_0914

100_0916

I noted that many of the Essex Corsairs had mismatched ammo box covers on the wings, so I masked off a couple, and have them in the 'wrong' color.

I've said Glossy Sea blue so many time that the words have lost all meaning.

• Like 10

Damn it Cookie! I clicked on the final post only to be so impressed and intrigued by what you had on show that I was compelled to read through the whole thread. Now I'm no fan of the Helldiver but your model is a stunner and those Corsairs are looking grand thus far.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio, Col. and Ced!

Got the decals on, and some chipping done.

100_0926

100_0928

100_0930

100_0932

The decals definitely need some weathering and desaturation, and the the blue surrounding the USN stars seems too light, almost a royal blue. I'll see what I can do.

• Like 11

Great work Cookie.  My current (WIP) Corsair II will be three tone (TSS), but now I'm thinking I might need to do another in Sea Blue maybe X115.. if so I'll be using this page for reference material..

• Like 2

On 12/4/2017 at 8:52 PM, Procopius said:

Milhouse knows what's what.

Millhouse: Sage of Springfield.

On 12/4/2017 at 11:45 PM, Grey Beema said:

Great work Cookie.  My current (WIP) Corsair II will be three tone (TSS), but now I'm thinking I might need to do another in Sea Blue maybe X115.

Thanks Beema, I'm thinking I need to do another in TSS! 

On 12/5/2017 at 12:42 AM, giemme said:

Excellent, Cookie! :clap: I agree you need to do something for those roundels, maybe a little desaturation will suffice, though. My :2c:

Thanks Giemme, you can see my de-saturation attempts below. I really need to get into the mask making game that you've demonstrated on your Macchis, it really avoids a lot of the problems of decals.

On 12/5/2017 at 12:55 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I like those a LOT!

Thanks Jamie!

On 12/5/2017 at 1:45 PM, Bedders said:

Blimey Cookie they look gorgeous. Especially, for me, X135. Youve done a great job on the weathered effect on the dark blue. 

Thanks Justin, I hope to have a Seafire III join them soon inspired by yours, Beema's and Beard's.

I've done more weathering with pastels, Vallejo washes, and poster paints. I started with the USN stars on the F4U-1D by stippling/drybrushing some Model Master Insignia blue. To my surprise, the paint matches the decal perfectly.

100_0944

Also, notice how much the color seems to shift in shadow versus direct light.

100_0943

I also applied some chalk pastels, to just knock down the effect a little.

The de-saturation went more 'conventionally' on the Corsair IV; matt coat, then pastels.

100_0933

Also added the tiny CO vents over the fuselage roundels.

100_0936

100_0939

I took this pic of the under side of a Corsair at Reno this past September.

100_0696

This one was participating in the races, and so was running hard everyday - a far cry from the typical pristine warbird, positively Spitfire-esque oil staining.

I glopped on a thick brown/black wash, but the dark blue scheme was unphased.

100_0948

You can't tell, but there is an unrealistic amount of wash there, would've positively ruined just about any other scheme.

Ooooh, and this arrived.

100_0954

It's not as blurry in real life.

Unfortunately, it didn't come with a spare Mk V fuselage or wing.

• Like 10