1/72 Zvezda SU-33 Yellow 13 scheme

This is my build log for my 1/72 Zvezda SU-33 Flanker D. I decided to make this into Yellow 13 from Ace Combat 4. In the game, Yellow 13 flies an SU-37, but on a surface level, they appear the same. 

Here is the paint scheme I am using: 

CU6vdTw.jpg

Aug 19: 

c87HbWa.jpg

IdbqzBC.jpg

iqznBAt.jpg

vkStrpG.jpg

Ddq0lq6.jpg

Most of the body is built, cockpit is in and Exhaust nozzles are painted and weathered (somewhat). 

Aug 21: 

Wings are on (for now), base coat (Dark Ghost Grey) is down and the Radome is painted (Insignia semi-gloss white). Missiles are painted in semi gloss white base coat too. 

BNooWZv.jpg

U1RGxAz.jpg

wxdES1z.jpg

Cd9Zbgj.jpg

MjThcxp.jpg

PpLYRhv.jpg

DsfG8LS.jpg

Sept 6: 

Took a bit of a break on this while working on my 1/72 F-15E. Back at it now. Laid down the underside puke yellow. Far and away my least favorite part of this paint scheme, but part of it nonetheless. 

6dJOXF1.jpg

ZW9CKoO.jpg

Sept 9: 

Paint bleed! Lots of screw-ups at this point. Major setbacks in the build progress. 

f9G146z.jpg

6VOqDbh.jpg

X1B9oRe.jpg

Sept 14: 

eRg1rit.jpg

Those wingtips are not looking good. I realized I needed to prime those areas with white before putting the yellow down. 

dLdNJnl.jpg

Now to deal with that paint bleed: 

OnNTnC4.jpg

But first: the night before I was going to lay my stencils down and begin the camo scheme, something dropped from the rafters of my garage and smashed the wing up and snapped the right side sensor pod on the wingtip. 

This set me back and I stopped work for over a month. QWFTMML.jpg

October 24: Back at it again. Fixed up the broken bits, but was left with some ugly remnants of my puttying efforts. But I am finally on to the masking and spraying for the camo: 

yzNRtUC.jpg

MC3UmgB.jpg

Drumroll: 

ETfi116.jpg

2KRDFI2.jpg

Then of course, there were more issues: 

YM7EAg9.jpgThe sticky, not model friendly masks left a lot of residue. But, thanks to some wonderful folks over on ARC forums, I used goo gone on a Q-tip to wipe it away without lifting paint!

I painted the vertical stabs as well, and will post those next. 

Next steps: 

NMF exhausts, gluing weapons pylons on, finishing missile paints, and then top coat in preparation for decals! 

I hope to have this guy done by Christmas at the latest. 

• Like 1

Just now, Thud4444 said:

That looks amazing!  I always enjoyed Ace Combat 4's story myself. Very laid back and not as intensely told as 5 and Zero. Plus I was a sucker for its art style. 

225?cb=20100309235215

Couldn't agree more. Something about only using a picture really makes the mind wander and fill in the rest of the story in ones head. Really amazing story, I nearly cried at the end when they buried Yellow 13's handkerchief.  

29 minutes ago, Flyboy3394 said:

Couldn't agree more. Something about only using a picture really makes the mind wander and fill in the rest of the story in ones head. Really amazing story, I nearly cried at the end when they buried Yellow 13's handkerchief.  

I was quite upset when I killed Yellow 4. They basically screamed that she was gonna die,  but I wasn't prepared for the fact that I had to kill her......

RIP Yellow 4.

250?cb=20141226081029

This guys sums it up best:

2bd20598d5f10ab810c50e3075eac55a.jpg

1 hour ago, Thud4444 said:

I was quite upset when I killed Yellow 4. They basically screamed that she was gonna die,  but I wasn't prepared for the fact that I had to kill her......

RIP Yellow 4.

250?cb=20141226081029

This guys sums it up best:

2bd20598d5f10ab810c50e3075eac55a.jpg

Yeah, amen to that. easy tie for #1 game in the series with #5. I learned a lot from this one, so eventually, when I do another, I will do Yellow 4, so they can sit together in (video game) eternity.

Edited by Flyboy3394
addition
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...

Update: 

Exhausts are in the painting process!

Ag9TSne.jpg

US5E18l.jpg

dNXvHZJ.jpg

xDSOdXl.jpg

First Coat of Alclad Steel and a little bit of Stainless Steel: 

6vcZrPD.jpg

ixcl1f4.jpg

md1CDrR.jpg

I will be clear coating this, and doing a variety of hotmetal shades and colors, mainly red and blue for heat stains. 

• Like 2

Update: Exhaust

Added some heat stain coloration today (Alclad Hotmetal red/blue):

p1Ctwl4.jpg

P763Ade.jpg

The reds and blues came out a bit too dark, so I went over it with some Aclad Stainless Steel:

AmMoa0q.jpg

QeCDzpl.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

That looks really good. I had forgotten about this project. I'm glad it's still on going. I had started downloading screen grabs to build an few Ace Combat models. I might have to move this project up in line....

Much appreciated! This project has just been setback after setback. things dropping off the ceiling and breaking wings, pylons, etc. I was so fed up that i stopped work for months, and am now motivated to get it done! This was a HUGE step towards that so I am super happy to be moving forward. Still got a few finishing touches to add to the exhaust, but it looks pretty good to me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Got it clear coated, and decaled! 

mOAUlxB.jpg

mQPer05.jpg

CK3GGdG.jpg

tQf0F5z.jpg

0xogvUR.jpg

TAWWYTR.jpg

Looking pretty good overall. The wingtip stations continually break off, so I recently glued them back on and did a rough paint job over them. Hopefully i can find a way to make the bad paintjob and clean break less noticable on the final product. 

From here, its just enamel wash, gluing on weapon stations and missiles, and a final dull coat to seal it all up! 

Anyone have a good suggestion for a mount I could use for this? Its in gear up configuration, so I need it to be in flgiht on my shelf! 

Update: 

Wash is down, but im not 100% happy with it: 

6H8BaFi.jpg

dYr4DO2.jpg

And here it is after I sried it and added far too much Tamiya weathering rub. I will dilute some of this down as this just looks far too dirty. I tried using the rub to cover up my mistakes and other problem areas, but it just doesnt look good this way. 

HXj7fWI.jpg

Next, I will be fixing missiles to the pylons and doing a final semi gloss coat. Then I will begin on the display stand. 

Really thinking of doing another one of these to rectify the mistakes I made on the first version. So many areas I could improve and really make this a stunner. 

Edited by Flyboy3394
  • Like 1

That's pretty cool Flyboy! There was an official kit of Yellow 13 released, but it sold out really quickly. I've actually got Mobius 1 sitting on my desk with Galm 1 and 2, Garuada 1 and also Espada 2.  I did start making all of the squadrons from Ace Combat Zero, but lost interest. My favourite has to be Zero - "Yo buddy, still alive?"... Worst is Horizon without a doubt, should've never left Strangereal.  Where the decals home printed?

Kind Regards,

Dazz

10 minutes ago, Dazzio said:

That's pretty cool Flyboy! There was an official kit of Yellow 13 released, but it sold out really quickly. I've actually got Mobius 1 sitting on my desk with Galm 1 and 2, Garuada 1 and also Espada 2.  I did start making all of the squadrons from Ace Combat Zero, but lost interest. My favourite has to be Zero - "Yo buddy, still alive?"... Worst is Horizon without a doubt, should've never left Strangereal.  Where the decals home printed?

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I actually received the decals from a kind fellow modeller who did not need the decals anymore. Agreed, Strangereal was where Ace Combat should've stayed. 

• 1 month later...

Update:

Model is done! Not as good as id hoped, but its done and I am moving on to the next project with major knowledge of what and what not to do! 

XtBBEVN.jpg

JljaYAI.jpg

And here is the stand I made with clear acrylic tubing and a display base for gundam models. I will be painting the base grey to mask the imperfections left from gluing the tubes in. 

V82IZ0e.jpg

Little supports underneath:

dcVkoku.jpg

I will post final pics of it on the stand next. 

• Like 1

Here it is up on the stand! 

YgFCRMw.jpg

KUPOseI.jpg

yWEdW4W.jpg

Ypo2s29.jpg

FFZqM2G.jpg

The biggest letdowns on my part were the wingtip pylons, which broke over and over: 

M1wkvaj.jpg

Overall, lots of problem areas as this was technically my first kit. Learned a lot, and now will take that knowledge and use it for this:

U29HAM8.jpg

Will be doing a real SU-33 build, gear down, wings down, in the Russian Navy color/camo scheme. I also ordered the Eduard colored PE set for this to really make the cockpit pop and look real! 

• Like 1