Steelheart's Champions

Will Vale

Hi all,

Sorry I've not been around much for the last month or so, a lot going on with work, travel, and a project that I can't talk about yet. But I did find time to paint some figures over the past week which has been very good for the soul.

38245303586_d559c0ec71_b.jpg

These are one of the two teams from Shadespire, which is a Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar off-shoot involving tactical combat with miniatures and cards. The game is very good and the figures are possibly even better. They're single-pose clip fit which means that they're quite easy to paint disassembled if you take care. Except for big sword guy (Severin) who had to have his sword arm cut off so I could get at the inside of the cape.

They're metallic (mainly Alclad Pale Gold) so very shiny:

38300307751_88bed17309_b.jpg

The sword blade and hammer faces are graphite powder over a thin layer of Boltgun metal, which polished up so well that it reflects the rest of the model :) It wouldn't have been possible to do this without separating the sword as it's quite a messy process and the cape needed to be pristine.

38245305586_78596a3577_b.jpg

38245309306_98e0bda872_b.jpg

The other team members are Angharad Brightshield and Obryn the Bold:

38268502282_afddb02a09_b.jpg

38268495842_ac0a403a94_b.jpg

Annoyingly the ringed planet against a nebula on Angharad's pauldron is partly hidden by the shield. I re-posed it slightly to open things up a bit but I need to take another photo to show it off properly.

Anyway, hope you like them!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 12

Thanks both of you! I think Severin is my favourite as well, I really like figures with bare heads.

Although Angharad is pretty cool too, I don't think my photo is at a low enough angle for her pose to read well.

Will

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:07 AM, Thud4444 said:

Seal those bad boys and throw them on a table! 

Thanks! I can't seal them without messing with the gold, but they are to be played with, hopefully tomorrow. I'll just have to be careful.

23 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

The highlighting/shading on the scale armour looks fantastic.

Thanks Andy, it's actually much simpler than I was expecting it to be as the moulding is very useful. I painted it with Boltgun metal, washed it with whatever the new blue wash is (Drakenhof Nightshade) which is a lovely blue-black, and then retouched most of the scales with the metal and highlighted the bottom edges of a few protruding scales with the much brighter Stormhost Silver. The latter is a Mithril Silver replacement and is lovely and bright, but the flake isn't as fine as Mithril.

We had our club competition today and I wanted to take these figures and get them off the table. I was able to find some olive wood salt bowls with lovely grain, but they're a bit too big at 80mm diameter so I made some name plaques to fill up the space a little. The general idea came from David Soper's tutorial here, but I had to adapt things to what I had, as usual.

https://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.co.nz/2016/09/making-titlename-plaque-for-display.html

Here's one of mine:

38298773396_e21e103b3f_b.jpg

They're printed paper laminated onto styrene with PVA. but instead of printing the lettering in black I used a very pale grey and inked it by hand so I could soften the characters, add marks, serifs and long descenders. It's obviously nicked from Tolkien's writing style, but I think GW have borrowed that a bit for the Stormcast banners and such, so it sort of fits.

38353606101_1f4d41143e_b.jpg

After the glue dried (heat gun as I was short on time) I cut them out with a compass cutter, sanded the edges, and added the colour and wear with GW washes and paints. They could do with a flat coat still, but everything's only blu-tacked together so that's an option.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1