Cats, they're taking over. Part 3

Skodadriver

Just a heads up guys - we all love out furry masters & mistresses - please see this link re cat food recalls that are causing fatalities...

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/aug/05/toxic-cat-food-fear-as-vets-struggle-with-mysterious-illness?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

Let's keep them safe

Steve

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 5

Apologies for joining this so late.

Below is Luka on the left and Luna on the right

IMG-20210707-WA0000

Proud mum with 5 kittens

IMG-20210709-WA0017

Attitude comes at an early age, 4 weeks in this case !

IMG-20210807-WA0013

My cute posing for the camera shot

IMG-20210807-WA0014

Cheers Pat

• Like 20

4 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Lovely family.

Oh no my family is blooming horrible but the cats are great !

It's going to be sad to see the kittens go, they are such great fun to play with and watch.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

About 5.30 this afternoon received a phone call from the vets. Anxiety reigns as Wilf had not come for his tea and has he been injured?

No, apparently he had been brought in by someone who lives no that far away. She had been feeding  him since March as she thought he was a stray. The vets had scanned Wilf for microchip and the practice manager thought it was him. 

Wilf is currently in the conservatory looking as if nothing has happened. 

I have had my suspicions as he has not been eating as much, but was not losing weight. 

• Like 10

Hi @Mr T

You never own a cat, they just choose to live with you.

Years ago I was adopted by a cat called Gizmo that despite the fact I didn't feed it, completely loved me so much so if I had a bath he would climb down from the taps end and sit on my lap in the bath !

Risk assessment required if you try this one at home :phew:

Every few weeks his "owner" would come and take his cat home, I wouldn't see it for a while then I would get in from work, there he was, a quick call to the owner would confirm this was the first day he had been let out !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

We knew from fairly early on that Wilf was likely to play the The Six Dinner Sid card, he knows how to turn on the cuteness to get a free meal. I think he stays with us because when we got him from the vets he realised he was on to a good number. 

• Like 8

Well, if the scran isn't up to scratch, what else can a poor cat do? I've been owned by a couple like that; one in particular had me in strife with the vet because he was seriously overweight even though he was on a (strictly enforced at home) diet. Turned out he'd been doing the rounds of the neighbourhood and being fed in three or four other places!

• Haha 10

I suspect Wilf has other options now that one food source has been closed to him. Apparently it is by no means uncommon for non indoor house cats to spread their favours around. My sister in laws cat has a collar that has a tag with a request that the cat is not a stray and not feed him. Wilf will not stand a collar, when he lived wild he obviously did have a collar on at one stage as there was a ring of skin around his neck where the fur had rubbed off and although the fur has grown back, the skin is still dry and it obviously irritates him. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mr T said:

My sister in laws cat has a collar that has a tag with a request that the cat is not a stray and not feed him.

A cat near me has a large tag on his collar saying 'do not feed me' and i get the impression he's not too happy about it either! 

Our regular stray Tabby cat went MIA recently for a couple of weeks. We assumed he'd found another feeding station or worse! When he finally turned up he was very thin and bedraggled. He polished off 2 pouches in short order and is now  back 2 to 3 times a day for a feed and a fuss. He's now back up to his 'fighting weight' I can only assume he got the whiff of a lady cat and went off tomming! 

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 4

We don't have any cats of our own, but we are visited a few times a day by neighbours cats. There's Minnette, a lovely tortoise shell (I believe that the correct terminology), and Cookie, a very friendly ginger tom. I put food out, not necessarily for them, as we are often visited by a black cat, who has been abandoned by someone, as he is quite friendly, and a male tabby, who is most definitely feral. He won't let you get within 20 yards of him. But the other two help themselves to the food. One of the cat's owners even gave us a bag of food as a contribution to her cats appetite. 

John.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2021 at 19:13, BIG X said:

Just a heads up guys - we all love out furry masters & mistresses - please see this link re cat food recalls that are causing fatalities...

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/aug/05/toxic-cat-food-fear-as-vets-struggle-with-mysterious-illness?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

Let's keep them safe

Steve

Update on this from the Food Standards Agency - they apparently are now not sure it was the recalled cat food that caused the outbreak....

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-alerts/news/further-update-from-the-food-standards-agency-and-food-standards-scotland-following-the-rise-in-cases-of-feline-pancytopenia

Keith

• Thanks 5

Allie is 13 and lists her occupation as ‘inert’ but I’m seriously considering renaming her BANZAI! 

As all cat owners know, your moggie will have a manic half hour every day. Yesterday, Allie was at the top of our stairs and staring at me as if I was The Catfinder General. As I wanted to get down, she fled for her life and from the second step down from the top, she kept into space doing her best flying squirrel impression and landing a couple of steps from the bottom. One commando roll and she ended up by her scratching post, quick scratch and padded off as if she did this all the time.

I still don’t understand her……

Trevor, Allie’s bemused human

• Haha 10