Cats, they're taking over. Part 3

Skodadriver

That's sad, reminds me of my last cat Harley. Died of kidney problems. Well put to sleep. I put him in the car to bring him to the vet. He dammed well knew. Very upsetting.

Last week though I was in Zimbabwe north of  Harare staying in my friend's brother's house. They have two Jack Russell's and two cats. One, Magical was a rescue cat. He is apparently quite aggressive but for some reason he took to me. When it was time for bed he'd claimed the bed. Dug his claws in. Everyone laughed at me but he moved out of the way with a little persuasion.

We settled in but it wasn't to last. Suddenly two large buzzing flying beetles crashed into the room, bouncing off the walls falling to the floor. At one point both me and Magical were poking in a corner to try and catch one. Calm was restored and we settled down again.

Then something thumped onto my bed. 'Now what? I thought. Turned out to be a large grasshopper/cricket/locust. I flicked it out the door and both Magical and the other cat went after it. We were a good team.

I'd have taken Magical home if I could. A hard African Bush cat. My kind of cat.

• Like 9

A cat's behaviour can be puzzling.  Some years ago I went to the supermarket in the car, turning into the entrance a cat was just strolling across the road.  I slowed and it gave me a look that said "I'm not rushing, pal, you can wait!"  Anyway, I pulled into a parking bay by a low wall at the front of the shop.  Whilst switching off and sorting things out, the same cat came walking along the wall.  Opposite my car it glanced across, did a double take, jumped on to the bonnet of my car, walked up to the windscreen, peered though at me and meowed.  It then jumped on to the roof of my car, when I got out it was sitting up waiting for some attention,  A passer-by asked me if it was my cat, I replied "It wasn't, but I think it might be now!"  I did wonder if perhaps we'd known each other in a former life.  A lovely cat, but sadly I was unable to take it home, as I doubt my border collie would have been impressed.

Edited by 593jones
  • Like 6

My condolences also Peter.  It’s coming up to the fourth anniversary of our Sooty’s passing, the day after my birthday.  He’d been diagnosed with an intestinal growth only a few days previously and that last trip to the vet’s with him was truly miserable.  We’d had him, his sister Sweep and their nephew Maxwell from kittens and Soots was the last of the three to leave us: I still miss all of them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20191130-135108.jpg

20191130-135120.jpg

"Call my maybe"??

😁😁😁 

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

It would seem ridiculous to someone if I have a landline telephone at home, is there a mobile one ?!  This is so, we are almost never using a landline telephone now, the mobile has replaced everything ..... but when anti-electronic warfare systems work, the mobile becomes a useless toy.

• 3 weeks later...

Motherwell show last weekend and Tolv went one better, best in class (male kitten), lost out on best in breed to a very cute little girl. Took another first and two second places in his side classes too. Proud dad again :) 

spacer.png

Andy

• Like 7

Well done Torv.

It's good to know that the Motherwell show is still running. I grew up in Wishaw just along the road from Motherwell. My parents had a wonderfully eccentric friend who was heavily involved in the GCCF and he was instrumental in starting the show I think sometime in the 1970s. He'd be thrilled to know it's still going strong 40-odd years later. 

• Like 1

Oh,it doesn't have to be winter in our household!Our mistress has developed a mild arthiritic condition whereas she cannot now get onto the bed,she is ok for the sofa,but the size of the mattress is too much.So,usually about 0300 hrs,she gets off the bed,goes downstairs for something to eat and a toilet tray episode.Then she will come back upstairs and create until she is lifted back onto the bed.Bless her!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

A fun way of winding up your humans in the winter is to demand to be let out about 4:30 a.m. then once a human has wakened and opened the door you decide it's too cold/wet/snowy/foggy/dark to go out after all and head back to your bed. For some reason humans find that annoying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

A fun way of winding up your humans in the winter is to demand to be let out about 04:30 a.m. then once a human has wakened and opened the door you decide it's too cold/wet/snowy/foggy/dark to go out after all and head back to your bed. For some reason humans find that annoying.

I've got that problem sorted i fitted a cat flap that works on the chip in his neck so he's learnt that every time he tries doing that he either gets ignored or told to get lost....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Cats are manipulative, selfish and single minded, yet soft friendly and affectionate. 

A bit like a wife....

Agreed, apart from the soft friendly and affectionate bit.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

I've got that problem sorted i fitted a cat flap that works on the chip in his neck so he's learnt that every time he tries doing that he either gets ignored or told to get lost....

The trouble with cat flaps, as we discovered many years ago, is that they allow the introduction of prey. Dead is bad enough but injured and alive is definitely not good. Opening and closing the door allows at least some control over what is brought into the house.

Merry will pull the 4.30 a.m. stunt once and if she does it again she gets grabbed and put out into whatever weather conditions are prevailing at the time. That usually has the effect of discouraging her, at least for a couple of weeks!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

The trouble with cat flaps, as we discovered many years ago, is that they allow the introduction of prey.

That is the only drawback to them,the amount of mice he's bought i've lost count but mine has developed arthritis in his neck and i think hunting has all but ceased now (fingers crossed).....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Merry will pull the 4.30 a.m. stunt once and if she does it again she gets grabbed and put out into whatever weather conditions are prevailing at the time. That usually has the effect of discouraging her, at least for a couple of weeks!

Lily will make a nuisance of herself any time after 5 minutes after I've gone to bed.  She knows that if I get up she'll get ejected, so she goes and hides under the dining table where I cab't reach her (she also knows that if I put down biscuits to lure her out I'll lurk and grab her as soon as she breaks cover).  However if the larger female human gets up she knows she'll get bikkies prior to being ejected.  She simply won't go down to the kitchen by herself to get her bikkies, one or other of the slaves has to go with her.

Cat flaps can be a problem.In our old house we had one fitted,but it wasn't in for long.We had 2 cats at that time,and if it wasn't the prey(alive/dead) that had been brought in,it was the un-invited feline friends that were a problem.Went down one morning and there was four strange cats sitting on the kitchen table.

Also bed space is at a premium at the moment,I usually wake up balancing on 5 inches at the edge of the bed ,while the mistress and SWMBO hog the remainder of the bed,both snoring contently.

• Like 3

That was another problem with uninvited moggies turning up which is why i bought the one which works with his chip,got to hand it to a couple of the others though trying to push their way through with me watching and a smug grin on my face....

On 12/23/2019 at 10:39 AM, 224 Peter said:

It is even better with 2 cats... competing for the warmest body in the bed....!!

I grew up with on average 6 cats, once 9, at all times. Some mornings I was pinned in bed and couldn't move. 

One never came in my room except when she'd been outside and it was raining. Then she'd jump up loudly announcing her presence. Once acknowledged she would then force her way under the duvet and lay next to me as she dried off.....

6 hours ago, Alfisti said:

Cat flaps can be a problem.In our old house we had one fitted,but it wasn't in for long.We had 2 cats at that time,and if it wasn't the prey(alive/dead) that had been brought in,it was the un-invited feline friends that were a problem.Went down one morning and there was four strange cats sitting on the kitchen table.

Also bed space is at a premium at the moment,I usually wake up balancing on 5 inches at the edge of the bed ,while the mistress and SWMBO hog the remainder of the bed,both snoring contently.

We had new neighbours move in, and their cat moved in with us and presented us with 4 kittens. She refused to leave. The neighbours left and new ones arrived with a lovely Siamese. Yep, we gained another cat.... Gods he was LOUD!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

These recent posts are a distillation of our experiences with our two siamese "former Toms". 

Cat Flap: chip operated, no no strange cats, but how on earth they get through with a dead baby rabbit beats me. At least the prey is all eaten: I say all eaten, but there is invariably a bit of spleen/bile duct/pancreas left, which in the morning when trodden on adds a certain "something" to the morning. 

Bed: we gave up and purchased a super king bed, effectively 2m x 2m. Just about enough room for two humans and two cats. but often SWMBO and I find ourselves occupying a narrow strip on each side, whilst the cats luxuriate in the middle. In the spring dawn is always an issue, they awake at first light and wish to go out. The cat flap will let them out, but no, they want to inspect the morning before going out. So one of us ends up getting up to let them out: aboiut half an hour later they return, demand attention before falling into a deep sleep. We don't get back to sleep. 

Then of course, reluctant to disturb their Lordships, we don't get the bed made until late afternoon...

spacer.png

Food: to keep us on our toes every 3 or 4 months they refuse the food they have been happily eating for 3 or 4 months.  We used to get a selection and see what they liked, now we just rotate: they don't seem to have worked that one out...yet! 

BUT all in all we wouldn't be without them, we have had siamese cats since the early 80s. 

• Like 5

On 5/11/2019 at 9:11 AM, Antoine said:

Proud mom

proud_10.jpg

Remember?

Five kitten, a male and four female.

I'd gave one to my sister, and kept the other four.

So here's black & white Tomcat, with one of his sister, Blue, both checking the comfort of my Windstopper jacket!

19101511.jpg

• Like 7