Cats, they're taking over. Part 3

Skodadriver

Part 2 has reached the big four-oh and been locked, so here goes with Part 3!

Has anybody else noticed a sudden reduction in the size of cat food pouches, particularly Sheba?  Merry likes her food (i.e. she'd eat 24 hours a day given the chance) and we're getting serious grief from her as if it was somehow our fault.  I've told her a few time that she's becoming an increasingly expensive luxury and may have to think about catching her own but so far she isn't convinced.

Am I imagining this or are food pouches definitely getting smaller?

• Like 2

Not all pouches - The regular ones are still generally 100g but the more exotic recipes tend to be only 85g...

Have a feeling that the boxes of cat biscuits may have suffered from "Food Inflation" though.

IanJ

Weird thing as Allie gets less active she becomes more hungry. She doesn’t do the obvious thing of standing by her bowl and meowing, rather she’ll come over to where we’re sitting and get very purry and affectionate. If Mrs G is alone with her, Allie will even push her off the sofa!

Trevor, Allie’s human

• Like 1

Our late-lamented Sooty would come and sit in front of me looking pleadingly at me as if to say "How, human, can you nor want to get up and get me some more Kittydins?".  Always being a sucker for that I'd get up and wander off to the kitchen, expecting a black and white flash to overtake me on the way and a "What the hell took you so long?" expression from the furry beast when I eventually caught up with him.  Often, however, the flash would be missing and, on turning round, I'd find him settling down on the recently-vacated and pre-warmed spot on the armchair with a very satisfied look on his face and happily tramping with his front paws to get that perfect, cat-approved, snoozing or grooming position.  Any attempt to remove him was an abject object lesson in futility but was a good excuse to buzz off and glue bits of plastic together.  

We lost him two years ago this coming new year's eve and I still miss him......

• Like 6

Always had cats growing up but my wife is not a cat person so no cats at the moment. But recently my boys were in the back room when the security light popped on in the garden and there was a cat staring in at them. So we opened the patio doors and it turned out to be friendly well looked after cat. We gave it a couple of titbits and tickles. She even let me pick her up. I decided to bring her in to see the wife hoping it might soften her anti cat stance. My wife met me on the way in, she screamed I screamed and the cat dug all four claws into my chest and fled. Don't blame her. The cat I mean. 

Anyway the cat wasn't too put off as she returned the other night with a new friend, an all black kitten. Who was quite shy but I imagine the older cat told it that the boys are cool but stay away from the madwoman! 

We also have a fox who visits. There'll be fireworks if they ever meet up!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

I don't know if Louis Armstrong was a cat lover but 'we have all the time in the world' could be their anthem,mine's been walking around all morning in slow motion and when i've tried to pass him he's slowed down even more...

Are you feeding him Moggydon?

Allie has bursts of running around like a loon, staring at me as if I’m an axe murderer, arching her back and doing the bushy tail thing and 30 seconds later wanting a tickle.

What on earth is going on in her little brain?!

Trevor, Allie’s human

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Are you feeding him Moggydon?

Allie has bursts of running around like a loon, staring at me as if I’m an axe murderer, arching her back and doing the bushy tail thing and 30 seconds later wanting a tickle.

What on earth is going on in her little brain?!

Trevor, Allie’s human

It's to cold and he's bored,want's to go outside but not worth risking that delicate fur coat....

Edited by Vince1159

Explaining or analysing the odder aspects of feline behaviour is probably beyond the human brain.  We have a long, narrow hallway in the house and Merry has recently taken to charging up and down it sometimes batting a catnip mouse, more often for no obvious reason. It has laminate flooring and she's not exactly a small cat so the noise is considerable.  If one of us goes into the hall to investigate she does the bushy tail thing and vanishes into one of the bedrooms.  A few minutes later she'll probably come charging into the kitchen and jump straight up to the top of the wall cupboards where she'll sit in the dust for a few minutes then come back down and start all over again until she tires herself out.  She goes out in most weathers (only torrential rain is a complete no) so it's probably not boredom but why a supposedly mature cat about 8 years old has suddenly started acting like this is anyone's guess.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

She goes out in most weathers (only torrential rain is a complete no) so it's probably not boredom but why a supposedly mature cat about 8 years old has suddenly started acting like this is anyone's guess.

For mine it's most weather is a nono (to wet/windy/damp/cold) the only time he'll happily go out is when it's sunny and warm anything else is a struggle or he's desperate...

• Like 1

At our local garden centre they have this fella to check all of your purchases........

Say hello to Simba....

8ONBN2W.jpg

He's very friendly and follows you around to make sure you don't Knick anything!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Vince1159 said:

Lovely cat and a lovely name....

Totally agree. He's a smashing little fella and really friendly. He likes to pounce on you from under the plant racks as you walk round. I hate garden centres but always go just to see Simba!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

He's maybe found a couple of nests or something. We haven't had any mice for a while although last night ours didn't come back until after 1 a.m. so she was obviously up to something.  Not far from here there is a lane with a shallow culvert and an embankment along one side.  It's the hunting territory of a small tortoiseshell cat from one of the nearby houses and yesterday I saw it heading home with something dead in its mouth.  It was probably a vole from the culvert but there are obviously still little furry beasties around for the determined hunter!

• Like 1