1/72 - de Havilland DH.91 Albatross by Valom - released - new boxing

Homebee

I found some suitable photos of the upper surface (the test flight landing accident that broke the fuselage in two) and the 'footprint' of the nacelles on the wing appears to be correct. But they are too bulbous and should be shallower. 

At least it should be possible to file them down somewhat....

• Like 3

Hannants have it £44.99 as a pre order price, £49.99 full price. A little steep, but given exchange rate fluctuations and tax not surprising. I am not sure what postage etc would be on one from Europe. 

On 14/03/2018 at 7:30 AM, Mr T said:

Hannants have it £44.99 as a pre order price, £49.99 full price. A little steep, but given exchange rate fluctuations and tax not surprising. I am not sure what postage etc would be on one from Europe. 

Better price here -

http://www.oxoniansplasticfantastic.com/valom-172-model-kit-72129-de-havilland-dh91-albatross-raf-7038-p.asp

Tim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Fishbed said:

Thanks for that heads up Tim, a decent price & post to NZ close to same price as VAT deduction. This kit has just gone from no way to very probably. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2018 at 11:51 PM, occa said:

Estimating 3D shapes from photos obviously is a skill not everybody owns ... the blending of the engine nacelles into the wings is total fantasy and apparently based on approximate assumptions.

Edit:

I see where the error is, the shapes of the engine-wing blends on the lower sides (where they appear to be correct) are erroneously mirrored onto the upper sides

not quite mirrored, but not as fared in as the real thing as far as I can tell from the photos -

nbMEBfQ.jpg

A bit of reshaping may be required on the top wing

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed. But it seems to be the lower portions which are the worst. The taper down of the rear of the nacelles should begin much closer to the leading edge of the wing, especially with the inboard one (they are not the same).  I had suspected this was the case, but that photo of the kit parts confirms it. See here: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205210633

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

Agreed. But it seems to be the lower portions which are the worst. The taper down of the rear of the nacelles should begin much closer to the leading edge of the wing, especially with the inboard one (they are not the same).  I had suspected this was the case, but that photo of the kit parts confirms it. See here: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205210633

Ah, I see what you mean.  I'll have to break out the sandpaper....................

Or live with it :-)

Tim

I have Dh 91 with me since w week! This is a huge machine - almost like Dakota. Engines fairings are too bumpy, but it is not so big as it was seen from photos published.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

I picked mine up last Friday and I am surprised by the size of it. DH looked restressing the airframe and replacing the engines with two Merlins to build a bomber, but then decided on a clean sheet design that became the Mosquito. At least it said do in the MJF Bowyers book on the Mosquito. 

Not surprised - I'd have thought the engineering needed to put a bomb bay in the centre-section would be major.

I was musing about the (comparatively, for its clean lines) low speed of the Albatross the other day, and the power-weight ratio with the Mosquito makes interesting reading:

Albatross 4x Gipsy Queen @ 525hp: 2100hp on 21,230lb empty gives a power-weight ratio of 0.098

Mosquito II 2x Merlin 20 series @ 1480hp: 2960hp on 13,356lb empty gives 0.222

Mosquito XVI 2x Merlin 70 series @ 1710hp: 3420hp on 14,300lb empty gives 0.239

So a Merlin-Albatross around 1941 would have similar engines to a Mosquito II but weighed considerably more (although I concede the empty weight with only two Merlins plus ancillaries would probably be somewhat lower than that with four Gipsy Queens). Sounds like Bishop et al. did the right thing by starting over!

• Like 1

Went and looked in the Mosquito book (which I had forgotten was co-authored with C.Martin Sharp and was the second 'serious' aircraft book I bought, apart from some Profiles) discusses a twin Merlin X Albatross to spec P.13/36 and gives a top speed of 300mph and cruise of 268 mph at 22,500 feet. The weight is given as 19,000lbs. It does not give a bomb load for the above version schemed in October 1938, but from the text it seems a range of 3,000 miles with 2,000lbs. A crew of three was needed with a tail turret and six to eight forward firing guns and one or two hand operated guns Span was 61 feet so a fair bit smaller than the Albatross. Would look nice, but it would have been much less effective than the Mosquito. 

Edited by Mr T

Now that we have a 1:72 DH-91 Albatross, who is going to give us a DH-95 Flamingo? 

:coat:

Aw c'mon, you knew someone was going to ask. Modellers are never satisfied. And I don't count the Magna DH-95. It definitely comes under the same "life's too short" mantra that Unicraft and Merlin do. 

1 hour ago, Kevin Callahan said:

Now that we have a 1:72 DH-91 Albatross, who is going to give us a DH-95 Flamingo? 

:coat:

Aw c'mon, you knew someone was going to ask. Modellers are never satisfied. And I don't count the Magna DH-95. It definitely comes under the same "life's too short" mantra that Unicraft and Merlin do. 

Sorry to disagree with you, but the Magna DH95 is no way as bad as something from Merlin or Unicraft. It is a bit rough in places, especially with the white metal, but not a terrible kit. The biggest problem I had in building mine was a yellowed canopy that needed a plug moulded replacement. I have built injection moulded kits that have given me as much or more trouble. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - de Havilland DH.91 Albatross by Valom - released - new boxing in 2022

Released - New boxing - ref. 72160 - de Havilland DH.91 Albatross - Franklin, Faraday

Sources:

http://www.valom.net/?page_id=113

https://www.mn-modelar.cz/106729

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/modelling/de-havilland--dh91-albatross-franklin-faraday-in-rarf-service-valom-vaclav-lomitzk-72160-190016.html

valom-vaclav-lomitzk-72160-de-havilland-

g-171689-pics-VAL72161-2.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - de Havilland DH.91 Albatross by Valom - released - new boxing