Another North Cormorant platform

dlh

First, thanks to Kallisti for his WIP thread and for advice on this model.  I can work on this build only several hours a day as my neck pain allows, so the build might get slow at times.

So far, I've primed the base of the model.  I've decided, from advice, to paint it black and then overcoat with yellow to get the great weathering effect that Kallisti got.  Pictures of this later.

This model is built of modules, each a small build of its own, so I'm building it that way.  I'm using ModelMaster enamels because I'm a relative beginner and I'm familiar with how they spray.  I'm using Insignia Red and Insignia Yellow because I like the dark colors they produce.  I'm using MM Aluminum to paint the interior floors of the equipment areas; equipment will be brush painted. As Kallisti mentioned, this kit requires quite a bit of cleanup as the part numbers are molded into the parts; some will not be seen, so I'm cleaning up areas that might be seen.  There are also some slight mold lines to smooth.

Here are pics of the module cross members as found and cleaned up.  Also shown are pics of the module frame, assembled first, then painted, not primed.  I experimented with priming and not priming the corrugated parts and could see not difference, probably because both yellow and red are flat colors.  I've included some comparison pics to show the colors before and after painting.  I decided to assemble first and then paint, as I always seem to mess up painted parts when assembling.  (fumbly fingers)

Also, on the fourth and fifth pic, you'll see locators on the frame for the cross members.  I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out the instructions as to which side of that should be used.  So my pattern is to place the cross member to the "outside" of each locator.  That way they sit flush and don't encounter the small tab above that is used to mount each equipment level.  I used the square when attaching the cross members to the frame.  I glued each cross member to the frame with super glue and then set with accelerator.

I then attached the opposite frame to all four cross members at once.  This approach eliminates and clamping and waiting for the glue to dry.

One side of each corrugated panel is a cutaway revealing the interior detail.  Once assembled, these can barely be seen.  I considered reversing each module with the cutaway to the outside but decided against that.  Maybe I'll do that on a second build of this monster.:nah:

2v2uWn955xBoFJC.jpg2v2uWn9NNxBoFJC.jpg2v2uWn9jGxBoFJC.jpg2v2uWn98nxBoFJC.jpg2v2uWn9zFxBoFJC.jpg2v2uWnuodxBoFJC.jpg2v2uWnu2yxBoFJC.jpg2v2uWnu35xBoFJC.jpg

Edited by dlh
additional info
  • Like 8

31 minutes ago, KEVIN_ARIS said:

can you show us some details please like scale, kit details please,

Hi Kevin,

I have one of these. Pop over sometime and you can have a shufti in the box.

Mike

1 hour ago, KEVIN_ARIS said:

can you show us some details please like scale, kit details please,

Sure, sorry about that.

2v2uGF5T5xBoFJC.jpg

https://www.revell.com/germany/other/80-8803.html#.WgoMMbpFw08

Oilrig North Comorant Plastic Model Kit

Product ID: 80-8803

Overview
Skill level: 5
Scale: 1:200
Length: 685 mm
Parts: 615

Description
Primed to pump petroleum

The North Cormorant off-shore oil rig can be found 100 miles (160 km) northeast of the Shetland Islands. Twenty-eight steel nails are used to anchor the rig to the seabed. Forty pipes transport up to 24,000 tons of oil and gas to temporary stores and the mainland every day. This limited edition kit features a waterline with detailed substructure, modular platform structures, a detailed drilling rig, supply cranes with movable loading arms, multiple containers, lifeboats, a heli platform, detailed staircases, forty pipes, railing and decals.

2v2uGooCNxBoFJC.jpg

2v2uGFMBFxBoFJC.jpg

2v2uGFzezxBoFJC.jpg

2v2uGFzhFxBoFJC.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

That’s kind of cool! 😎 

Yes, in a weird way.  I've built only cars up this point, and got tired of fretting over every perfect finish.  And at least I can see all of these parts without magnifiers.B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is a big kit and the large box contains a LOT of plastic! I built mine last year and put it on my club's table at Scale Model World and so many people said "Oh I've got that in the stash and I've never built it" and even one of the guys from Revell said they'd never seen one built :) 

My build from last year is over here - I did get rather silly with it :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally some progress on this. All module floors were sprayed with Testors Aluminum and then equipment was brush painted.  Gave me lots of needed practice with brush painting skills.

DSCF3045-vi.jpg

Directions called for assembling the modules around the floors of equipment, but I wanted to spray the module frames completed.  Two modules weren't tall enough to allow sliding the top floor in place. So I inserted the top  floor first and then "lifted" it to its upper position.

DSCF3025-vi.jpg

DSCF3019-vi.jpg

I drilled some of the ducting openings and then squared them as best as I could with a Dremel and hobby knife. Also filled ejector pin marks on the side.

I spent two long sessions cleaning mold lines from the 40 well heads. (Boring!)

DSCF3013-vi.jpg

DSCF3015-vi.jpg

The two boom arms were a bit challenging as they had compound curves.  I held them at right angles using a piece of aluminum  angle and glued them with a touch-and-flow applicator.  I started in the center and worked outward in small steps, pressing the curve with my fingers.  Worked out well with very little, if any, glue visible.

DSCF3036-vi.jpg

DSCF3037-vi.jpg

DSCF3038-vi.jpg

Then last session(s) was painting lots of red (Testors Insignia Red).  This took two coats in spite of the fact that the plastic was red to start.

DSCF3042-vi.jpg

Now for railings and walkways!

• Like 7

I remember those booms! I glued the wide ends first then let them dry and gradually worked up to the narrow ends - a right faff :)

Hope you didn't spend too long painting the internal detail... I spent days on them, including weathering the walkways etc... what a waste of time, you can't see ANYTHING of them once all the modules are in place... oh well at least I know they are painted :D

Those well heads were utterly tedious to clean up - the flash, ejector pins  and mould lines were pretty abominable! Good work so far

31 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

I remember those booms! I glued the wide ends first then let them dry and gradually worked up to the narrow ends - a right faff :)

Hope you didn't spend too long painting the internal detail... I spent days on them, including weathering the walkways etc... what a waste of time, you can't see ANYTHING of them once all the modules are in place... oh well at least I know they are painted :D

Those well heads were utterly tedious to clean up - the flash, ejector pins  and mould lines were pretty abominable! Good work so far

I remember your post about the internal details. I decided to paint them anyway, I needed the practice. I'm hoping that you can see inside just a little bit from one angle. I didn't bother to weather the walkways. I don't know why they went to the trouble of making them that way since you really can't see much of them. I saw one display on the internet that had one module off to the side opened up. But I guess that was an extra module because the whole model was completed beside it.

https://goo.gl/images/zNZEpL

Beautiful work so far! I love how vivid the red and yellow paint it.

As a kid I always wanted a model of the Maui platforms my dad worked on....I hate to think what the result had been if he and I attempted one of these when I was 11!

6 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

Beautiful work so far! I love how vivid the red and yellow paint it.

As a kid I always wanted a model of the Maui platforms my dad worked on....I hate to think what the result had been if he and I attempted one of these when I was 11!

Thanks. Both colors are Testors Modelmaster: Insignia Red and Insignia Yellow, both flat.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been a while. Nearly completed the first 3 modules after washing with Citadel Nuln oil.

2v2JBviHNxBoFJC.jpg2v2JBviudxBoFJC.jpg2v2JBviZ8xBoFJC.jpg

I've been putting off railings and stairs because of the limited amount of long runs of railing in the kit.  I knew this was an issue so I bought some 1/200 PE railings from Gold Medal Models.  I'm pleased with my first use of those on the long walkway on the flare boom.  I still won't have enough long sections of railing without sectioning some of it or using the other type of PE railing. The kit has enough length of railing just not enough long sections.

2v2JBvkz5xBoFJC.jpg

2v2JBvin3xBoFJC.jpg2v2JBviv8xBoFJC.jpg

One sprue of railings from the kit.

2v2JBvik8xBoFJC.jpg

PE railings from Gold Medal Models

2v2JBviC8xBoFJC.jpg2v2JBviSNxBoFJC.jpg2v2JBvi4oxBoFJC.jpg

Module 4 contains a bunch of railings so I might use PE railings for that, but there isn't enough of the PE railings that exactly match the kit's railings.  So I might use the other style of PE railings to do module 4.  It's inside the module so it might not be noticeable.

2v2JBvitoxBoFJC.jpg

I'm trying to paint the railings a darker grey than the decking; just adds a little more detail.  That means that I'd assemble every railing section, with bends and such, and then glue into place. But that might prove too difficult to do the whole model that way. I tried 3 colors on this test section.

2v2JBvi1yxBoFJC.jpg

I made a decision on the heli for the model after searching a long time for a 1/200 plastic kit.  I bought a diecast 1/200 that matched the colors on the Cormorant.  Not exactly accurate, but it looks good.

2v2JBvicNxBoFJC.jpg2v2JBviA8xBoFJC.jpg

• Like 6

I've spent 2 years looking for a decent 1:200 scale helicopter - its just the wrong scale! I thought about trying a 1:144 Sea King/S-61 but it'd be much too large even for trying to do a forced-perspective sort of look.

As for the railings, I ended up joining shorter sections together to get the long bits, bit ran out eventually anyway, except for lots and lots of small bits that were of no use anywhere :)

Good to see you progressing though, keep it up! 

Edited by Kallisti

15 hours ago, Kallisti said:

I've spent 2 years looking for a decent 1:200 scale helicopter - its just the wrong scale! I thought about trying a 1:144 Sea King/S-61 but it'd be much too large even for trying to do a forced-perspective sort of look.

As for the railings, I ended up joining shorter sections together to get the long bits, bit ran out eventually anyway, except for lots and lots of small bits that were of no use anywhere :)

Good to see you progressing though, keep it up! 

Considering the cost of the model, they could have included more railings.  Thanks for your experience with railings.  I'm going to use more of the PE railings in inconspicuous places.

Thanks for the reply and info

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm building the same kit after seeing it on here. Quite a challenging build in some areas, this railings!!

Planing to build about three of them to make a "Post Apocalypse  Zombie" diorama. Going to take some time to do . . .

17 hours ago, mr nick said:

I'm building the same kit after seeing it on here. Quite a challenging build in some areas, this railings!!

Planing to build about three of them to make a "Post Apocalypse  Zombie" diorama. Going to take some time to do . . .

Wow, that going to take it to another level (of insanity... oops did I just say that out loud?)

You can also get the 1:200 Smit/Rotterdam tug from Heller to go with the platfom as well if you have enough space to display :)

Edited by Kallisti

Ha, that takes me back.  I spent the first 20 odd years of by career as a structural engineer working on and designing offshore platforms like this in the 70's and 80's!  I never visited North Cormorant, but spent time of BP Forties, Ekofisk and Statfijord..  Outstanding! didn't realise they made kits of offshore platforms.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you weather it.  In spite of continuous painting, the rust just drips of these rigs, made my day 👍

Steve

• Like 1