Heller Arado Ar196A Rose first BM Build

My daughter Rose (aged 11) has decided to join the GB, I hope that's OK ?

While mrs Jockney was at her " Book Club" make that wine drinking club tonight, I though I would sneak a bit of time with the Be-4.

Rose asked if she could have a go, so never one to miss an opportunity to start another kit, I raced off to the stash to see what fitted the bill. These 2 were the first to break cover, so she had a choice.

IMG_3656

She chose the Arado, so below are the necessary photos to prove its unstarted.

IMG_3657

IMG_3658

IMG_3659

Please wish her / us luck !

cheers Rose & Pat

• Like 7

Hi Rose,

Here's a warm welcome to the GB! I'm very pleased you chose to join this very fine hobby of ours and with a great choice of model (one of my favourite float planes, in fact)!

I see you didn't waste any time and started to build it right away. Very well done!

Have chosen the colour scheme already? German or Romanian?

I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers

Jaime

Welcome Rose. You've made a very nice choice! I've always liked the look of the AR-196. It's a nice start too, those floats are looking good. Make sure you have fun building it, and we'll be watching anxiously to see how it comes out.

:penguin:

• Like 1

Hi Pat, great to see Rose getting involved!

my two have started their build, I need to get some time to post their work on here ASAP, it just appears to be quite limited at the moment!

looking forward to how she gets on! All the best

Rob

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

My daughter Rose (aged 11) has decided to join the GB, I hope that's OK ?

IMG_3659

Please wish her / us luck !

cheers Rose & Pat

Best of luck Rose. My interest perked right up seeing those Romanian markings. Are you going to do that version? 

Andy

Hello again Rose and Pat,

Great choices for the GB, and an excellent start (in fact, your floats are in better shape than the ones in my GB!).

Good luck with the rest of the GB.

Regards, 

David

23 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Rose,

Here's a warm welcome to the GB! I'm very pleased you chose to join this very fine hobby of ours and with a great choice of model (one of my favourite float planes, in fact)!

I see you didn't waste any time and started to build it right away. Very well done!

Have chosen the colour scheme already? German or Romanian?

I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime

Thanks very much, for wishing me luck. I am going to build the Romanian one as I prefer the colours. :)

22 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Welcome Rose. You've made a very nice choice! I've always liked the look of the AR-196. It's a nice start too, those floats are looking good. Make sure you have fun building it, and we'll be watching anxiously to see how it comes out.

:penguin:

Thanks Thom, I can't believe everyone from all over the world is following my first build :surprised:

22 hours ago, rob85 said:

Hi Pat, great to see Rose getting involved!

my two have started their build, I need to get some time to post their work on here ASAP, it just appears to be quite limited at the moment!

looking forward to how she gets on! All the best

Rob

Hi Rob

Dad has told me about the Robettes so let's see them on here soon ! :whip:

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Welcome to the GB Rose. You've made a great start - my first kit was covered in glue but yours looks very neat.

Good job!

Thank you Ced

Dad is making me put the glue on with a cocktail stick, rather than the brush from the pot. Hopefully I will get to use the brush soon.

10 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Best of luck Rose. My interest perked right up seeing those Romanian markings. Are you going to do that version? 

Andy

Hi Andy

Good news I am building the Romanian one, so I hope you like it :)

9 hours ago, Dazey said:

Hello again Rose and Pat,

Great choices for the GB, and an excellent start (in fact, your floats are in better shape than the ones in my GB!).

Good luck with the rest of the GB.

Regards, 

David

Hi David

This is going to be great fun good luck with your build

9 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Good start Rose, very tidy work B)

One of my favourite floatplanes too :)

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew

Thanks for encouragement, homework tonight means not much being done, Dads a spoilsport :raincloud:

Thanks again everyone, best wishes Rose

Dad / Pat here, couple of questions, any tips on the Humbrol colours I need for this kit, the Heller numbers and descriptions are leaving me completely blank. Interior colours would be a good start so we can get that painted.

cheers Pat

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I am going to build the Romanian one as I prefer the colours.

Great to know your choice of scheme, Rose. That means yours is the first model in the GB to display Romanian colours!

Looking forward to the next update!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Good evening everyone 

Rose has gone to bed, after science homework. Not much done tonight I'm afraid 

First photo shows more interior part being assembled, being careful not to coat them in glue !

IMG_3661

Second photo, all the little bits on the underside of the wing to make it easier before the floats go on

IMG_3662

Many thanks to everyone for their encouragement 

Best wishes Pat

Rose's PA !

• Like 9

Hi Pat & Rose,

The Humbrol RLM equivalents are listed here, with a paint chart. Hopefully they haven't discontinued any! I believe the interior should be 240 RLM02, but Humbrol used to use matt 32 for the same thing if you have that.

Nice work on the seaplane again Rose - doesn't get you off your homework I'm afraid! Don't rush to get to the end, enjoy the process as you go :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Rose!  Have fun with the Arado!  

I am reminded that in "Tintin and the Shooting Star" the scientific expeditionary group that sails to the Arctic to find the meteorite uses an Arado 196 for reconnaissance.  I have those decals...I think.  They are easy enough to scratch anyway...

37608841114_3ae223bccf_o_d.jpg

courtesy...Casterman Publishing

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I am reminded that in "Tintin and the Shooting Star" the scientific expeditionary group that sails to the Arctic to find the meteorite uses an Arado 196 for reconnaissance.  I have those decals...I think.  They are easy enough to scratch anyway...

I have this Tintin book but I don't recall reading it. I'm afraid this livery would not be eligible for the GB, as only real aircraft are allowed.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hello Rose

Welcome to the world of plastic modelling - I could never get my children interested in it, but they enjoyed the models I made for them !!

Your progress looks great - looking forward to the next installment.  Waiting to see your Dad's progress too, especially on the Perth!

Good Luck and enjoy

Andrew

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Rose,

Always happy to welcome a new modeller in our crazy but fascinating world !

I wish you good luck, you did great already ! Nice job ! Keep carry on !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...