SOL 1/48 Su-35/37 conversation for Academy even worth starting it?

galaxygirl

So I have the SOL 1/48 Su-35/37 conversation kit for Academy. I also have an Academy flanker I can use... so with all the new flanker kits and various types out now including my much stalled Su-33 kit(I know I need to finish it) is this conversation even worth it? It seems to be the only other way to get a canard equipped Flanker other than the Su-33. The new Su-35 kits are of the newer version without canards. So even with the shortcomings of the Academy kit, is it even worth it anymore or should I sell it off? Opinions?  Comments?  

Thanks! 

I suppose it depends on what your planning to build, I don't think there's any planned release of an original 90's era Su-35 or Su-37, so it would be the only way to go. IPMS19 is tackling a similar conversion at the moment although he's using the SOL Sea Flanker set on an Academy UB........
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235026323-sukhoi-su-30mkm-148/&tab=comments#comment-2812648

I was sure Hobby Boss/Trumpeter were due to release a canard equipped Su-30MK but just double checked and can't find anything, maybe I imagined it.

Hi

I have one too and plan to build a MKI with an Academy two seater. Probaby it can also be adapted to the HB kit.. 

In grneral, I do not think the Hb kit so superior to the Academy one.... apart from being slightly bigger...

If you want to build the original hogh fin canard Su-35/ 37, you do not have too many options either... 

If you can sell it at a good price....

Edited by exdraken

You know I was thinking that I might be able to make a canard Su-30. I have the Academy Su-30MKK kit, most of the rest is already included in the new academy plastic. The SOL conversation is a bit rough in a lot of the parts, I never really looked at it too close and it's kind of rough, lots of warping, mold defects  and pinholes 

I sold my Academy Su-30  and bought the HB one for that reason.

If I do a conversion it makes more sense starting from the Su 27 ub kit imho... I have the Eduard onf gof that purpose.. also an overkill, I know. 

I also have the Wolfpack d conversion as well to have more choices and headache.. ;)

Edited by exdraken

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

I sold my Academy Su-30  and bought the HB one for that reason.

If I do a conversion it makes more sense starting from the Su 27 ub kit imho... I have the Eduard onf gof that purpose.. also an overkill, I know. 

I also have the Wolfpack d conversion as well to have more choices and headache.. ;)

I actually have both, and the HB Su-27"B" (yes I know the suffer thing :) ) I also have the Academy single seat one that I want to make a What-if USAF one. I have the Kinetic Su-33 and that's the only canard Sukhoi (aside from the Su-34) I have so far. I plan on skipping the Kitty Hawk Su-35 and waiting for the GWH one. 

Edited by galaxygirl

7 minutes ago, galaxygirl said:

I actually have both, and the HB Su-27"B" (yes I know the suffer thing :) ) I also have the Academy single seat one that I want to make a What-if USAF one. I have the Kinetic Su-33 and that's the only canard Sukhoi (aside from the Su-34) I have so far. I plan on skipping the Kitty Hawk Su-35 and waiting for the GWH one. 

Another Flanker addict :banghead: 

;)

You could probably do a real USAF one... many sources say the Red Hats sqdn operates the one or other.... one may have crashed recently!

I,d strongly sugest build it!

The current Flanker GB also has one in the works!

• Like 1

I've built 5 of the Sol/Academy conversions so far. I think they are pretty amazing sets, tons of minute details and the only one for canard flankers. A bit of work but well engineered and great results. Biggest flaw for me is the shallow cockpit, most of them I dremeled out and used other cockpits.

• Like 1

There is a 1/48 Academy SU-30 MKM (with canards and TVC) on ARC recently, I think the conversion was by Naza Model Art, it looked very impressive to me, I'm not sure if he has conversion kits for the Hobby Boss kit but he has (or had) them for the Academy kit.

Maybe we can all email him and he'll make a bunch for the HB kit !

• Like 1

Just been on Naza Model Arts Fb page, there appears to be a conversion in development for the Hobby Boss kit. It looks nice so far wil have to keep an eye on it.

That's interesting, I hadn't seen that before. It does look good but having built 5-6 Sol conversions I think I would actually wait this one out (there's still the same carving and sanding) because I can't see it being too long before the canard Su-30s hit the shelves. I think it's probably the only Flanker out there no one has done in any scale.

Also I'm not unconvinced the Sol couldn't be used on the HB. The biggest difference I've seen on the kits is the burner can size.

7 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

That's interesting, I hadn't seen that before. It does look good but having built 5-6 Sol conversions I think I would actually wait this one out (there's still the same carving and sanding) because I can't see it being too long before the canard Su-30s hit the shelves. I think it's probably the only Flanker out there no one has done in any scale.

Also I'm not unconvinced the Sol couldn't be used on the HB. The biggest difference I've seen on the kits is the burner can size.

Yes. I think I believe that it's only a matter of time before we get even more Flanker variants.