PK-36 Fairey Seafox

Franz75

Hello to you all my fellow modelers, I'm about to do my first model on this finest club forum.  The winner is a Fairey Seafox.

2s87SG9.jpg

I will do it as almost straight of the box, for me is no point to do old good Matchbox kits with fancy upgrades. Vintage kits needs a different approach, if I want to build fancy one I will go for new Airfix or Eduard. But it is my personal view on this subject.   

Inside the box we have fine two color sprues as to be expected, but no manual. I had to reload it from Revell site 

https://www.revell.de/en/service/download-area.html

You can use this link to get most of manuals, and Revell did some of Matchbox re-box.

Decals seams to be in good shape too. 

VZpxGsD.jpg

• Like 10

Hi, I did some digging on the net looking for info about Seafox. Research is a part of model building, for me anyway. It has full metal fuselage and fabric wings therefore first of all I will get rid of raised panel lines to give more realistic look, and after I will groove recessed panel lines. 

[url=https://im

gur.com/12J9SR7]12J9SR7.jpg[/url]

The same will be done to floats. It looks to "flat " for me.

qTcvXlK.jpg

I will base my work on materials under. I hope that will turn alright. 

2MLJ6Fq.jpg

yEOIX9r.jpg

9BctM2X.jpg

G8XlLSG.jpg

hr21UVf.jpg

LnXPPUr.jpg

• Like 9

Agree, thanks for adding all that Seafox reference material Franz. Looking forward to seeing this one built, although I think you have now made me want to get one of these kits as well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I started to grooving the lines, but I did some mistakes in the way. Rounded access panel didn't  com out right. To do this one I have find a better template. Or go for  photo etched one. I will think about it. 

GiAaKp2.jpg

• Like 4

On 11.11.2017 at 9:45 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thank you Franz75 you gave me my “ I learned something new today” moment. I’ve never heard of the seafox so im off to research it some more.

This is good about old Matchbox kits, it has some rare airplanes.

Back to the model, I bought two resin seats because Seafox's cabin it is really modest I should say. I'm planning to add some deals to it.    

Edited by Franz75
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

It's a long time since I was hire. My new born boy took me away from my hobby for while. But I'm trying to catching  up.

I cut  all panel lines on fuselage,   and painted it to see any mistakes on the surface. Couple spots I have to corrected with putty but it looks rather well . 

m2qKxul.jpg

Meanwhile i bought paint set for coastal  command planes made by HATAKA. I never use it before, first time for everything. 

DEhwocJ.jpg

• Like 5

So good to hear from you again Franz and I suppose the new born baby is a valid excuse for being away for so long.

Very nice job with the scribing and it will be interesting to see how these Hataka paints work.

Cheers and congratulations.. Dave    

• Like 1

Hi Franz,

Babies will do that and congratulations on said son! So what will be his first model???

A very interesting build of a rather tasty subject, so if you do not mind I will follow along. I too have one of these in the stash so I will be taking copious notes!

This might be a bit late now, (sorry!), but how about doing the circular inspection panel as a disk of 5 thou plastic card, gluing it on and giving it a gentle rub down afterwards. I do most of my inspection panels this way after noticing that most inspection panels start looking a it battered after being removed and replaced a few times. 

Christian, exiled to africa

Edited by wyverns4
thumbs for fingers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wyverns4 said:

Hi Franz,

Babies will do that and congratulations on said son! So what will be his first model???

A very interesting build of a rather tasty subject, so if you do not mind I will follow along. I too have one of these in the stash so I will be taking copious notes!

This might be a bit late now, (sorry!), but how about doing the circular inspection panel as a disk of 5 thou plastic card, gluing it on and giving it a gentle rub down afterwards. I do most of my inspection panels this way after noticing that most inspection panels start looking a it battered after being removed and replaced a few times. 

Christian, exiled to africa

Can you show me a photo of a plane done by this method, rather unique. I want to see it.  

My boy is well thanks guys. 

• 3 weeks later...

0X8s3F7.jpg

Hi,  it is going slowly. 

I started working on upgrade of the cabin. It was  originally very  poor, to simple for my taste. That is why i decided to  added plastruct's strips and resin pilot seat from quickboost, also I used old photo etched foot panel. Next will be  some details in back compartment, seat and radio equipment. All from old leftovers pieces of previous models.  

• Like 7

Lovely job on that Sea Fox cockpit Franz. 

It's a shame that this build probably won't make it into the Gallery as it would have been a stunning result. 

Please keep going as I'm sure there are many of us here who would like to see this one make it to the finish line. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Steve, actually Franz did manage to finish it off (in between nappy changes) and boy did he do a lovely job of it. I’m surprised he has not posted it as an RFI, however am sure that he will now that you’ve asked. When he does - get your ‘like’ finger ready. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1