Hasegawa Skyraider 1/72

Hi all,

Just rolling out, for the second time, my French AD-4N. This model was my first after returning to the hobby only 4.5 years ago following a break of nearly 35 years! I originally finished her as I would have done many years ago but more recently, after gaining more knowledge of new techniques, I’ve given her a make over. The main changes being the addition of aerials and weathering/panel lining.

She is the excellent Hasegawa kit, originally an A-1J (I think – my memory!) and I converted her in my way to a French machine. She is depicted as 127888, coded 21-LE of Esc 1/21 based in North Africa. These machines were all dirty all of the time so a great subject for me! Nowadays she is (as far as I know) with the Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum and flown as  USN/127888/B.

What did I do/use (if I can remember!):

1. Hasegawa A-1J Skyraider kit (1/72)

2. Rebuilt the aft cockpit with Plastruct rod

3. Cut the side door, after filling panel lines, with a Tamiya template. Window drilled and plugged with Kristal Klear.

4. Added modified wing pylons (out of the kit)

5. Used Hobbyboss F4U under belly tanks plus a heavily modified Hobbyboss F-84 wing tip tank. Each had a seam line added in Plastruct square rod.

6. Combination of Zotz and Berna decals

7. Uschi aerials plus the top-fuselage vertical from a house broom!

8. Top fuselage intake from a MIG

9. Painted using Humbrol enamels – 11 Silver, 34 Black, 2 Green, and others. Glosscote and Mattcote to accentuate the stains.

10. Dirtied with Tamiya Weathering powders and Flory dirt

11.  canopy finish by a wipe with meths.

sky4

sky1

sky2

sky3

I forgot to add that any builders of a French Skyraider should get the "Les Skyraiders Francais" book by Sebastian Guillemin.

s-l1000

Well, I hope you like her as much as I do!

Martin

added further images (11/01/19)

ad4b

ad4a

ad4c

ad4d

Edited by RidgeRunner
added more images
  • Like 62
  • Thanks 1

Really like it. You did a great job on it. 

I wonder though if I've actually seen that very Spad fly over my house many years ago. Two French Skyraiders in formation thundered over at low level once, obviously on the way to Dublin airport during the ferry flight to the US. Not something you see every day or any day for that matter. 

Maybe that very aeroplane.

Great job.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent im looking to buy one of these. 👍

I'm sure I've seen that Hasegawa are about to re-release this kit. Expect the usual prices mind.......

Edge

4 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

I'm doing the Tamiya 1/48 Spad with the MDC French update set at the moment.

Excellent! So you'll definitely need the book! It is priced but invaluable as a reference.

Martin

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

I'm doing the Tamiya 1/48 Spad with the MDC French update set at the moment.

Looking at the MDC Set on line just now I can see that the line drawing, at least, is misleading. I shows the machine having the air brakes of the A-1J. It also does not show the intake on top of the fuselage. 

If if you get the book you will see that there were many aerial variations on French Skyraiders, too. 

Good luck!

Martin

• Like 1

Excellent build!

I have the Hasegawa 1/72 kit in my unbuilt stash as well.

If I can get it to look as good as yours I will be really chuffed.

The "trademark" exhaust staining looks like the tricky part.

:speak_cool:

On 07/11/2017 at 3:50 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes i’ve actually created an account at HLJ. just for the kit.

Sorry for O/T question, but I was wondering if you managed to order anything from them, as I was thinking of doing the same.

Not yet i had planned on it when i opened my account. Sadly i pulled a whoopsie and fell. Damaged my rotator cuff and have to use that money to go back & forth to doctors and Physical therapy. Oh well life getting in the way i guess.

As for HLJ i plan on making my purchases when i get my christmas mad money to spend. Unfortunately thats how i have to do things. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Clive,

i have found HLJ to be excellent. I ordered from them and it came swiftly and in what was the best packaging I've ever had from anyone.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks F-32. To me they have a character set apart from the A-1s of US ans SVN. They saw a lot of action in North Africa and, of course, flew in some great schemes in a few African air forces.

Martin