Film help

Ok. This is random. 

I have vague... very vague memories of a film from my childhood. (I'm 32) 

its a space film. And I can only remember one scene from it. In my mind I can remember a mining operation with mine carts. And they use one to escape, it's about slavery I think. 

I seem to remember they come

down the tracks in a cave through molten metal and the camera pans out. 

Its bugged me for years as no one seems to know what im on about. And still maybe no one can help me. Lol 

anyways thanks for reading my incredibly vague ramblings about a film I might even have made up in my head! 

I got to choose a film from the video shop when I was a kid, and I picked this, rather to my parents' disappointment I think.

I absolutely loved it, and spent lots of time trying to recreate the spaceship in Lego. It hasn't aged well though!

Unlike Ulysses 31 which is still great :)

Will

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I remember that.  I was an Astronomy nerd of sorts then, and didn't appreciate it at all.  My own nostalgia film is an amazingly dubious tale titled 'Moon Zero Two'.  Ropy plot elements - a moon shuttle modified from a probably Airfix Luna Lander, artificial gravity (for a small plot element and to ease the budget - everyone on base therefore gets to walk normally, no SFX) but chemical rocketry - no reactionless drives or inertia dampers...  Plenty of holes to pick in it, but I'd still reach for an ale and watch it gleefully.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chillidragon said:

I remember that.  I was an Astronomy nerd of sorts then, and didn't appreciate it at all.  My own nostalgia film is an amazingly dubious tale titled 'Moon Zero Two'.  Ropy plot elements - a moon shuttle modified from a probably Airfix Luna Lander, artificial gravity (for a small plot element and to ease the budget - everyone on base therefore gets to walk normally, no SFX) but chemical rocketry - no reactionless drives or inertia dampers...  Plenty of holes to pick in it, but I'd still reach for an ale and watch it gleefully.

A classic!

• Like 3

On 21/11/2017 at 00:27, Chillidragon said:

Be away with you Moon Zero Two is a classic of its genre. Even the best Sci-Fi film of all time and arguably on the best films of all time 2001: A Space Odyssey didn't go to any lengths to replicate the Moon 1/6th earth gravity.

On a serious note they could not have used the Airfix LM kits as the film was made in 1968 and the Airfix kit wasn't available until early '70.

I for one do like the film, but don't  like what the MSTK3 bunch did to  it and other film of similiar genre, it as though people don't have thier own minds.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

15 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I for one do not like the film, but don't what the MSTK3 bunch did to and other film of similiar genre, it as though people don't have thier own minds.

To each their own, I suppose, but the gratuitous insult directed at my -- exquisite, I think you'll find -- mind does not go unnoticed.

17 hours ago, Procopius said:

To each their own, I suppose, but the gratuitous insult directed at my -- exquisite, I think you'll find -- mind does not go unnoticed.

A little bit touchy arn’t we?

MST3K is rubbish and devaluing and that’s my opinion, nothing else, nothing more.

It would be  really interesting to know if  they have the rights to put it on You Tube?

Thomo.

1 minute ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

It would be  really interesting to know if  they have the rights to put it on You Tube?

They do -- Shout! Factory bought the rights as part of their DVD releases of MST3K episodes, and that's one of their official channels. 

Think everyone's entitled to their own opinion about a particular film. Please don't turn this thread in to an argument over a miss read or miss typed comment. I'm sure there was no malice meant. 

Personally ive never seen the film so I'm going to give it a shot. 

25 minutes ago, Steve_farrier said:

Personally ive never seen the film so I'm going to give it a shot. 

It’s a classic of it genre, the film never takes its self too seriously. Look out for Warren Mitchell in a classic cameo as 100% Hubbard, and the original Top of the Pops dancers the Go Jo’s!

Thomo.

4 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

WB via Hammer own the rights to the Film.

Thomo.

They bought the rights for DVD and streaming release -- hence why they can legally stream it and press DVDs of the episode.

Many (too many) years ago, there was a very cheap, Italian sci-fi movie called "The Humanoid". It starred the big fella who played "Jaws" in a couple of Bond movies. I remember watching when I was around nine and - even then - thinking it was a load of old tosh.  It was BUDGET, with a side-order of crispy Budget. I reckon it only got a cinema-release to try and cash in on the huge popularity of Star Wars.

Anyone remember it?

Chris. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Many (too many) years ago, there was a very cheap, Italian sci-fi movie called "The Humanoid". It starred the big fella who played "Jaws" in a couple of Bond movies. I remember watching when I was around nine and - even then - thinking it was a load of old tosh.  It was BUDGET, with a side-order of crispy Budget. I reckon it only got a cinema-release to try and cash in on the huge popularity of Star Wars.

Anyone remember it?

Chris. 

I remember that one! It was part of a weird wave of European movies from the late 70's and early 80's that tried to pass themselves off as American.  At least that was how they were marketed here  by the distributors. In the pre-internet age, they would try to get away with that kind of thing here all the time. Weird stuff all around.  Devil Fish and Werewolf are examples of that era that aired on MST3K. 

Didn't it end with them all going back to ancient Tibet or something? I just really remember the weird generic Star Wars designs, like the evil triangle warships.

Edited by Thud4444

On 23/11/2017 at 11:32, spruecutter96 said:

Is that Bernard Breslaw standing in the background (mid-grey space-suit)? It's weird to see him in anything but a Carry-On movie...

Chris. 

Looks green to me, but yes that is Bernard Bresslaw he was A 100% Hubbard’s hench man. Catherine Schell was in the cast too.

Thomo.