1/48 Hasegawa Skyhawks - what parts are in what boxes?

RMP2

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, Mike said:

We advised you to stop it because it was irritating folks, and they were complaining. :shrug: Any threats of exclusion would have been for incidents related to spats with other members  :)

Hmph... :hmmm:Mike, was Jens one of the folks complaining? :rofl2:

Well, perhaps I'm a tad uncool at times, but that's only when I'm fired upon first. ;)

Anyway; just wanted to say that someone's got his fix of Argie A-4B/P/Q and C Scooter decals in 1/48 heading to Lincolnshire, UK. :whistle: Ya hear?  

Cheers,

Unc2

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2018 at 7:54 AM, RMP2 said:

will let you know when they land. :)

No, prob, my mate! :speak_cool: It should be there in a fortnight.

Mind you, be careful when opening the envelope 'cause the content is kind of tight-fit. I've put the decals with their respective instruction sheet inside a Zip-Lock bag, and I've backed it against a piece of cardboard of the same size as the decal sheet.

Then I've stuffed everything inside an envelope with bubble-wrap in the interior (it was like stuffing a sausage inside a cigar).

Best way of opening it would be to carefully cut along the upper folding of the envelope. 

Cheers Robbie!

Unc2

• Like 1

@Uncle Uncool or anyone else who may have had a play with bits - any idea if the Aconcagua resin parts happen to fit the Hobby Boss A-4E/F?

Or how appropriate would the Hasegawa A-4M be as a donor/victim? And also in regard to fitting the Aconcagua resin parts?
I ask as these are the cheapest options to try to match up with what parts I have available to me here for any sort of accurate Argentine A-4s.
Bit of a long shot I expect, but if you dont ask, you dont find out.....

Thanks again for the info, pics etc. It is all very much appreciated.

Now, someone really does need to sort out a 1/48 Pucara.... cmon Kinetic, sort it, and get it right!!

Edited by RMP2

8 hours ago, RMP2 said:

@Uncle Uncool or anyone else who may have had a play with bits - any idea if the Aconcagua resin parts happen to fit the Hobby Boss A-4E/F?

Or how appropriate would the Hasegawa A-4M be as a donor/victim? And also in regard to fitting the Aconcagua resin parts?
I ask as these are the cheapest options to try to match up with what parts I have available to me here for any sort of accurate Argentine A-4s.
Bit of a long shot I expect, but if you dont ask, you dont find out.....

Thanks again for the info, pics etc. It is all very much appreciated.

Now, someone really does need to sort out a 1/48 Pucara.... cmon Kinetic, sort it, and get it right!!

Just had a look at the Acongura page, I'm interested that they note the Hasegawa A-4E/F kit as the donor for A-4P/Q conversions.

As the P's and Q's were based on the J-65 powered versions the E/F fuselage has quite a few differences beyond the simple change of nose and intakes.

I'll pass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Yes, but does the Hasegawa KIT include those differences?  In other words, does the conversion give you the "different" parts that make it not matter which "core" you start with?

Nope,

The J-65 variants have different vents etc on the fuselage and dont have the engine access hatches on the sides (they have a removable panel)

Quite different from the properly powered J-52 versions

Hasegawa did their home work and tooled up different fuselages for the two

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Robbie...!!! :frantic:

While th Aconcagua resin bits will fit the Hobby Boss A-4E/F kit alright, I'm afraid they won't fit the Hasegawa A-4M kit. Reason is the -Ms have a differently shaped forward fuselage - a tad square at the location where the joint poliestyrene-resin is to take place. You might always make it fit with a little elbow grease, but it won't look any good.

pqyKNHZ.jpg

14 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Just had a look at the Acongura page, I'm interested that they note the Hasegawa A-4E/F kit as the donor for A-4P/Q conversions.

As the P's and Q's were based on the J-65 powered versions the E/F fuselage has quite a few differences beyond the simple change of nose and intakes.

Steve! :worthy: 

Rampant lunacy, huh...??? :lol: The reason to this is that, for quite a long spell, down here we would only get to have access to the Hasegawa or Monogram A-4E/F kits more than you'd see an A-4B (or even C) kit available. The changes you are expected to make on the -E/F kits is get rid of the intake splitter plate, and eliminate all of the antennae. I've grafted the ARM bits onto the HobbyCraft, Monogram and Esci Scooters without much trouble, other than getting the Aires cockpit, Eduard wheels and flap sets.

13 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Yes, but does the Hasegawa KIT include those differences?  In other words, does the conversion give you the "different" parts that make it not matter which "core" you start with?

Bob, the bits you get on the ARM 1/48 A-4B/P/Q and A-4C sets are: nose, intakes, ADF radome, slats and the VHF spine antenna and loop-style VOR antennas which go on both sides of the tail.

Cheers 'em all, ya hear?

Unc2

• Like 1

Excellent info yet again!

Cheers, guys. :)

Postman is slow, Unc by the way. But I have confidence in the old fella.

Wow. What an incredibly pleasant and generous guy Mr Unc really is!

If anyone was ever in any doubt of the above, please dispel such thoughts pronto!!

Thanks Man!!! :D

On 6/5/2018 at 2:41 AM, RMP2 said:

Postman is slow, Unc by the way. But I have confidence in the old fella.

:analintruder: Whooot...??? I paid him 7.5 quid for postage; Postman is having something coming! :fight:

On 6/5/2018 at 3:14 PM, RMP2 said:

Wow. What an incredibly pleasant and generous guy Mr Unc really is!

If anyone was ever in any doubt of the above, please dispel such thoughts pronto!!

Thanks Man!!! :D

Ah, Mr postman was just saved by yer post, Robbie! :lol: 

My pleasure, my mate! :cheers:

Cheers Rob!

Unc2

P.S: What service is your Argie Scooter going to be in?

I too was about to set loose the hounds of hell upon Mr Parcels. Close run thing.

What service? Well, seems rude to not do one of each as I have all the tricky bits, just need another airframe that isn't  priced at silly numbers.

I think we know which serial number the Navy bird will be getting, that's easy. ;)

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, RMP2 said:

I too was about to set loose the hounds of hell upon Mr Parcels. Close run thing.

:rofl2: Mr Parcels ought to be a very lucky bloke.

What service? Well, seems rude to not do one of each as I have all the tricky bits, just need another airframe that isn't  priced at silly numbers.

Well, the Monogram Scooters (at least the ProModeller Blue Angels boxing) are quite nice, cheap base kits to convert to -4Ps and -4Qs. They might just need the Eduard bits for the wheels and the Aires cockpit if you will. Then there's the awful windshield, for which I could tell you the scheme on how to get replacements directly from Hasegawa-san :wink: (they fit the Monogram kits like a glove).

I think we know which serial number the Navy bird will be getting, that's easy. ;)

:analintruder: Uncle Marco is going to be honoured! He's flying with Delta every since he retired the Navy.

Cheers Robbie!

Unc2

P.S: How's it hanging, luv? 

• Like 1

The promodeller A-4 is a reboxed Hasegawa kit.

The original Monogram kit is an utter horror, I've failed to see why so many people sing its praises when 

the Esci kit is so much better.

Hola, Steve! :jump_fire:

How's the weather in beautiful Aussieland like?

6 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

The promodeller A-4 is a reboxed Hasegawa kit.

Well, YEH, me already knew about that.

6 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

The original Monogram kit is an utter horror, I've failed to see why so many people sing its praises when 

the Esci kit is so much better.

That's because I'm a rampant lunatic...? :bleh:

Seriously, the Esci kit has got trenches for panel lines, and you've got to shave the entire model down before you can work on the surface, and the plastic is a little soft (remember we've discussed about the different boxings on the Esci offer? - the one which had the illustration of the Scooter centred inside a bullseye or without it. Dunno which one is better, but the one I had was a nightmare in the aspects I just mentioned above. Very accurate shape, tho. Had to get a resin cockpit, wheel and flap replacement sets for it.

Yeh, me had.

Cheers,

Unc2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help and photos so far folks and of course them there decals, Unc.

I now have another Hasegawa A-4 on its way to me, a genuine A-4C this time (if it was one of you guys on here I narrowly outbid in the dying seconds, apologies) and have just started building my Cave back up after my house move, so... thinks need to be finalised so I can begin with these Scooters.

One query remains - the bombs. Now, I have found the ExPal 250kg jobbies here - https://sbsmodel.com/model/SBS-48049/expal-brp-250-bomb-x-2 but having seen at least one photo of them loaded inline (making me think there were actually 4 on the MER) I am a little unsure just how they were loaded given our mate Uncs comment below re pairs.
Also - the 500lb bomb mentioned, would that be a Mk82 or a "metricalised" 250kg ExPal as well? 

On 5/21/2018 at 5:29 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

Rob!

It was either 1 500lb single bomb on the centreline or two ExPal 250lb on a MER for the A-4B/P/Qs. The A-4Cs could carry 3 ExPal 250lb bombs (1 on the centreline + 2 on each outer wing pylon (that's 'cause our A-4Cs had the A-4E wings with two hardpoints on each).

Also, did they use anything other than said bombs above?

Edited by RMP2

3 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Also, did they use anything other than said bombs above?

They carried Mk. 82 Snakeyes. Pictures show six of them fitted on a MER, but I have read that they only carried four (on a c/l MER).

Jens

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jens said:

They carried Mk. 82 Snakeyes. Pictures show six of them fitted on a MER, but I have read that they only carried four (on a c/l MER).

Jens

Cheers, Jens. 
I found some pics suggesting snakeyes earlier, but wasnt sure if they were just publicity shots - as you say their are photos of more bombs fitted than would be possible for the range required.
Would that just have been on the A-4Qs do you know or other variants?

4 minutes ago, Jens said:

Yes, AFAIK only the A-4Q used Mk. 82 Snakeyes. The A-4C and P used the other bombs.

Jens

Cheers, I thought that was the case re the snakeyes.

Hi there, Robbie!

As for the Snakeyes; they were loaded on the -Qs only until they run out. As for the Navy Scooters hauling 4 Snakeyes on a centreline MER; I'm not quite sure, as you've got to remember the Scooters also needed to carry "they're" usual load of two jettisonable Aero 1D tanks. Four Snakeyes on a MER would have meant a 1000-pound load + the tanks. Load config for the Scooters usually was three 250-lb bombs on a TER plus the tanks.

Wait a tick; I think early in the war the -Ps and -Cs would also haul the British Mk17, so maybe the 4 Snakeye config might be possible? Checking with uncle Marco.

Edited by Uncle Uncool
  • Like 1