1/48 Hasegawa Skyhawks - what parts are in what boxes?

RMP2

Hi guys.

Ive spent a fair while searching for review photos of sprues as well as Google images and also tried the Hasegawa page on Scalemates that lists sprues for Phantoms etc etc and Ive drawn a blank.

Basically... Are the correct nose parts to build an A-4B or A-4C in any of the other boxings?

I ask as Id like a few Argentinian aircraft from the Falklands period, a Skyhawk being one, but Im not paying £100 for a different nose and some stickers that are likely not that great.

If Ive got it right, then the sprues would be marked "K" and "L" for the B and C variants, that much I think I have gotten right.

Yep, i know about the spine antenna, easy enough to scratch build something close and then some aftermarket decals... job done.

Alternatively.... is the Hobbycraft kit any use? Ive never hand one of their kits my hand.

Id love a Skyhawk in these colours/markings, but its proving a little more tricky than I first imagined and I dont really have much love for Mirages, sadly.

As ever, any help is much appreciated.

Rob

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Rob, parabat posted these about 5 years ago heres a link. I think it gives kit #’s and tree break downs for each kit. Follow the Link and go down to post #16. That covers A-4’s ...HTH.

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis. I saw that and unfortunately the link for the A-4 stuff just circles back to the BM post! Amusing, but a tad frustrating and I cant figure out how to find the Hasegawa parts page from Scalemates for the A-4... maybe Im getting a spate of "the olds" kicking in...?

3 minutes ago, HansReggelsen said:

Here's a little help:

Hasegawa A-4E

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10270755

Hasegawa A-4B/C

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10037784

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Cheers, Hans. I saw those pics, but its the nose that stands out most different to me between the versions (other than the electronics Hump) and the E version has it molded to the fuselage, no options there. Was hoping another boxing had the right bits in or at least the right shape nose for the B or C that was modded for the Argentinians.

• 6 months later...

Rather a late update to this - Ive just picked up a Hasegawa A-4SU which as far as I can make out is the same kit as their A-4C but with some added resin bits.
In theory then that should look something like an Argentinian A-4C/Q if Ive got that right.... just decals required now and I may have found some. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help, guys, any more assistance in getting things somewhere near is as ever appreciated. :)

7 minutes ago, Gundylunch said:

This might be handy - On E Bay

Resin 1/48 A-4 ARGENTINE Skyhawk B or C Humps & Bumps Conversion Hasegawa, cut and paste into search band on E Bay

Very kind of you, sir, thank you.
However, I have the Aconcagua resin set here all ready, so will see how it all looks to my untrained A-4Q eyeballs once I get it all together.

I seem to think its the A-4B/P set that I have - its not to hand right now, but there isnt much difference, but again, I am not too familiar with the delicacies of Skyhawks.
For reference though for folk, heres the sets they make - http://www.aconcaguamodels.com/prod/det_d_01.htm

5 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

09426 is one boxing of the Hasegawa A-4B. FWIW I found a site offering it for $30 USD:

https://www.modernwhole.top/hasegawa-148-09426-a4b-a4d2-skyhawk-limited-edition-new-p-10339.html

Arg! A little less than I found my SU for before postage costs, but thats a nice find.

The associated items below it raise an eyebrow though... ;)

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi, Robbie!

There's a different radome lenght between the A-4B/P/Q and the A-4C. The A-4B/P/Q have got the same ADF hump, but that in the A-4C is different.

The A-4C that I built from Hasegawa is kit #7022 in 1/48th scale.

The A-4B/P/Q I built were converted from the ESCI (A-4N boxing), and Monogram (Blue Angels A-4F) kits - both 1/48th scale - by using the Aconcagua Resin Models A-4B and A-4Q bits. I ordered the clear sprues from Hasegawa to replace the windshield and canopy on the ESCI and Monogram kits + Eduard Brassin wheels and landing flap sets.

Let me know if you need the ARM bits or the decal sheets for your Scooters in Argie service.

Cheers,

Unc2   

• Like 1

Hi there, Unc².

Thanks for that. I know the Hasegawa B & C noses are different parts (not that I notice much difference in them), but nice to know the ARM, ESCI, Monogram and Hase bits can all be made to work together as youve done. Pretty impressive is that.

The ARM parts I have include an A-4B nose - designed to be used on the Hase E/F as I am sure you are aware. But... As I have an A-4SU on its way to me, which has the parts for a C in the box, I "should" be ok to build either. In theory at least, assuming the resin nose suits the non-E/F fuselage. I just need to double check the "bumps" on the back on the B/P/Q vs the C and see what ARM bits I actually have there as well as the SU box of bits.

Im rambling. But I hope it makes some sense.

Decals however... you have a PM you mighty fine Sir, you. :)

On 5/14/2018 at 2:27 PM, RMP2 said:

The ARM parts I have include an A-4B nose - designed to be used on the Hase E/F as I am sure you are aware. But... As I have an A-4SU on its way to me, which has the parts for a C in the box, I "should" be ok to build either. In theory at least, assuming the resin nose suits the non-E/F fuselage. I just need to double check the "bumps" on the back on the B/P/Q vs the C and see what ARM bits I actually have there as well as the SU box of bits.

Im rambling. But I hope it makes some sense.

Hi, Rob!

Yeh, your ARM A-4B bits shall fit the A-4SU fuselage without any problem; guaranteed! When I'm home I could upload piccies of the different shaped bumps on the B/P/Q and C for you.

Everything you said made sense to me.

On 5/14/2018 at 2:27 PM, RMP2 said:

Decals however... you have a PM you mighty fine Sir, you. :)

I've answered yer PM already.

Cheers, Rob!

Unc2

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Hi, Rob!

Yeh, your ARM A-4B bits shall fit the A-4SU fuselage without any problem; guaranteed! When I'm home I could upload piccies of the different shaped bumps on the B/P/Q and C for you.

Everything you said made sense to me.

I've answered yer PM already.

Cheers, Rob!

Unc2

Excellent. Im getting the hang of these lil A-4s. I think....

Reply fired back, mate. :)

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:09 PM, RMP2 said:

Excellent. Im getting the hang of these lil A-4s. I think....

SirnRCC.jpg Uh-huuuuuh... Me'd say so. :nodding:

Now, a quick lesson about the different ADF radomes in the Argie Scooters:

uMBJE8m.jpg

This is how the ADF radome would look like in the A-4B/Ps (check out how the shape of the radome includes the beacon light).

auVsDIe.jpg

Pretty much the same as on "they're" naval counterparts.

xP8yq7F.jpg

But this is a great comparison between the radomes of the A-4Cs - in the foreground - and that on the A-4B/Ps - in the background.

You see...??? :wink: It wouldn't be too hard to make yer own radome for the A-4C out of plastic card. Shape's a tad complex on the -4B/Ps 'cause you've got to include the beacon light in the aft portion of it, and that slope at the end.

Gonna dive into my stash to look for yer decals now.

Cheers Robbie!

Unc2

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

quick lesson about the different ADF radomes in the Argie
Scooters

Thats great stuff, thanks very much for that, much appreciated.

I think the only thing left I need to double check is the bomb load for hitting the Royal Navy - 4x mk82 snakeyes on a MER  on the centreline? Would that be correct for "bomb alley"

Uncle, that last shot is terrific!  And what a shock it was to read a post from you that was in "actual" English.  It makes you seem almost... human!  But then I've seen pics of your sister...

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Uncle, that last shot is terrific!  And what a shock it was to read a post from you that was in "actual" English.  It makes you seem almost... human!  But then I've seen pics of your sister...

Pics of said sister are required or the post gets locked... ;)

19 hours ago, RMP2 said:

I think the only thing left I need to double check is the bomb load for hitting the Royal Navy - 4x mk82 snakeyes on a MER  on the centreline? Would that be correct for "bomb alley"

Rob!

It was either 1 500lb single bomb on the centreline or two ExPal 250lb on a MER for the A-4B/P/Qs. The A-4Cs could carry 3 ExPal 250lb bombs (1 on the centreline + 2 on each outer wing pylon (that's 'cause our A-4Cs had the A-4E wings with two hardpoints on each).

Going to the Post to mail yer decals now.

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Yeh, Bob! Quite a nice piccy that is, huh? With regard to my pirate-style of English, mods and Mike said ENOUGH!! STOP IT...!!! (or else, I was going to be sacked) :fraidnot: I miss typing like that from time to time.

Sister Astrid is cute; no doubt. But then I guess you still haven't seen a piccy of me. :lol: Me's such a heartthrob... :bleh:

Cheers,

Unc2

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Pics of said sister are required or the post gets locked... ;)

Okay; I was thinking about trading something for piccies of the little lass on PM...

What say you? :rofl2:

What would Mike say,I wonder? 

3 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Okay; I was thinking about trading something for piccies of the little lass on PM...

What say you? :rofl2:

What would Mike say,I wonder? 

What's the problem?  After all, it's a modelling website!  And I always thought your avatar WAS you.  That's a relief, I hope...

On 5/21/2018 at 5:03 PM, gingerbob said:

And I always thought your avatar WAS you.  That's a relief, I hope...

Bob, every since I signed up on Britmodeller, everyone seemed to have taken my screen name way TOO to heart, when actually, every English-spoken tourist who happened to be round on my block could tell you I'm the coolest bloke in Argieland!

Besides, my spoken English has got an Aussie accent - even when I was a pirate - so most tourist coming from East London (or the land down under), that I helped out would feel at home with me.

Top that off, I'm mates with Willie Ofahengaue, John Eales and David Campese. :lol: 

Yeh, me is.

Cheers,

Unc2

On 21/05/2018 at 17:29, Uncle Uncool said:

mods and Mike said ENOUGH!! STOP IT...!!! (or else, I was going to be sacked) 

Not quite true.  We advised you to stop it because it was irritating folks, and they were complaining. :shrug: Any threats of exclusion would have been for incidents related to spats with other members  :)

• Like 2