Takom Tiger II Cutaway

Devcon 1

Still chugging along, wheels and torsion bars removed for the section colour and final weathering. The sectioned element in the hull painted with Revell Ferrari red, this will be remedied for final exterior painting.

26811812759_0de8b9407f_c.jpg

38531306416_a0cffb93bd_c.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback peeps, build delayed a fraction pending ordering/receiving some track painting consumables. This is a part of the build that I'm dreading so as a bit of procrastination I'll distract myself with building these. One for this build and the next, the others for practice.

37714305075_f268c3d613_c.jpg

Thanks for the feedback all, couldn't be sure where to post this but Aldi are doing some Airfix starter sets for a fiver.  Couldn't resist slipping a Cromwell into the basket instead of a box of Christmas crackers..ooopps 

• Like 1

Lovely work Devcon! I had the same thought when I got my copy of this kit but have decided to take a (hopefully) less arduous route to the cutaway. My plan is to do the cutaway on one side only and leave the tank with as full a L/H side profile as possible (see plan drawings below). No idea when I shall actually get started in this project, though, as I have too many kits in progress at the moment and have just committed to a group build elsewhere. I shall follow your work to its conclusion - looking at what you've done so far the end result will be absolutely stunning! Love the lit interior! Cheers, Kev

King%20Tiger%20Cutaways.jpg

Takom King Tiger #2047 - cutaway plans - KMS 2017

That drawing looks good kev, you've obviously given thought to what is inside the cuts. I look forward to seeing the project when it hits your bench.

Impatience got the better of me so did the tracks before my Ammo dry track set arrived. So the following sequence was done and I'm quite happy with a first proper attempt at tracks.

Tamiya spray primer, Ammo Mig rust airbrushed, Vallejo rust pigment powder sealed in with Klear, a homemade petrol blue turps wash then drybrushed Humbrol Metalcote and a final coat of Klear.

I'll maybe do some fine-tuning when the model is complete. I'll mask off the wheels and tracks with kitchen foil before adding fenders etc prior to final painting.

37750069075_b463f42dae_c.jpg

• Like 5

That drawing looks good kev, you've obviously given thought to what is inside the cuts. I look forward to seeing the project when it hits your bench.

Impatience got the better of me so did the tracks before my Ammo dry track set arrived. So the following sequence was done and I'm quite happy with a first proper attempt at tracks.

Tamiya spray primer, Ammo Mig rust airbrushed, Vellego

The camo preparation is looking good. Will surely lead to an awesome result. Amazing job so far!

On 25.11.2017 at 8:00 AM, modelman182 said:

Lovely work Devcon! I had the same thought when I got my copy of this kit but have decided to take a (hopefully) less arduous route to the cutaway. My plan is to do the cutaway on one side only and leave the tank with as full a L/H side profile as possible (see plan drawings below). No idea when I shall actually get started in this project, though, as I have too many kits in progress at the moment and have just committed to a group build elsewhere. I shall follow your work to its conclusion - looking at what you've done so far the end result will be absolutely stunning! Love the lit interior! Cheers, Kev

King%20Tiger%20Cutaways.jpg

Takom King Tiger #2047 - cutaway plans - KMS 2017

Waiting with interest...

Thanks for the feedback all, a little advice if possible.

Before I splash out on some filters, I've never used them before but I'm keen to try the technique. But are there any other ways to create a blended less harsh look to the camouflage paint without buying more stuff.

I've seen lots of difference methods but I'm getting a bit bamboozled by the whole process.

Just curious what you good people here use that works, I have a reasonable range of materials in stock and the model has its cammo finish done in Mig Ammo acrylics with nothing else done to it as yet.

Thanks

John

As I have now started to use masking putty to achieve the camo scheme better, I came to the conclusion to make the camoed areas smaller in the beginning and then build up without putty. So I get a less hard look. But in that way the first coat of paint hast to be really faint. The filters or oil paints still help for the combined look. On the other hand, contrast was the goal to be achieved by camo. So I often wonder when camo is applied on models where you can merely recognize the off color.

Thanks everyone.

Pheeew, the rear removable section does work. I did make an error in misspositioning some towing cable connectors which fouled on the exhaust castings so had to reposition them.

Just finishing a plain wooden base and then it will be completed.

23941251237_5c0217d12a_k.jpg

23941251117_c0933ff0ab_k.jpg

38775311032_9f2c8a54f4_k.jpg

23941190727_4fbabd735a_k.jpg

37919162115_c3cf3742e6_k.jpg

• Like 6

Marvelously done, Devcon. That removable rear section works really well and is great for showing off the kit's excellent detail on the engine.

Very impressed - and I'm now scared to start mine (cos I doubt I can make mine look THAT good :worry:).

Kev

Thanks guys, don't be afraid to get started on it Kev it's a great kit and I'd love to see another one being built. There are a couple of patchy parts in the instructions where a little head scratching was required but I've made a mental note in preparation for the build of the early turret version which I'll start soon together with a few tweaks to painting and colours.

I'll pop the items which might help on here later.