Hobby Boss Nagmachon APC (early)

robgizlu

Thanks Richard

I've spent the week weathering, starting with some pin washes after a spray of Klear, then some "sponging" with "Streaking Effects", yet another tip picked up from Andy Moore

spacer.png

The Mig Dry earth splashes were....yes "splashed on with paint brush and air brush, liberally on the undersides then dabbed around.

spacer.png

I've never found pigments easy to use.  The weathering brief was for a fairly lightly weathered but well used vehicle.  I used the enamel fixer to build up accumulations of pigment on the side armour supports to replicate original pics.  I also use oils laid down with a dry brush and then scrub pigments in.  I always find this stage messy and now try to do just a bit at a time.  The tracks and wheels were washed with a slurry of white spirit, "Africa Dust effects" enamel and pigment, and then when dry were  scrubbed with a stiff brush.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I got hold of some of the AK weathering pencils - I don't think the "chipping" pencil delivers nor the gunmetal - stick to pigment or ordinary pencil, but I found the grey one useful for paint scrapes which I always struggle to paint. 

spacer.png

I can hardly believe that this is a weeks work!

So now final finishing with periscopes and windows - armament, final detailing, stowage, plow and base. 

I was going to display this on a black wood base but I think it will need some sandy terrain.

Thanks for looking 

Rob

• Like 9

• 4 months later...

To my lasting shame, I note again that this poor discarded build commenced Nov 17!!!

Blame the boats. 

I'm clearing my shelf of shame "deferred" builds, so here's figures with a view to build completion

DSCF8954

DSCF8956

The Life Color paints dry relaly flat and remain my favourite for figure painting.

DSCF8958

DSCF8959

The AK figure-specific washes are really effective and easy.  They deserve to be better known.  Apologies for the stained bottle - which occured after a particularly spiteful spillage

DSCF8960

Final build pics soon

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Only just caught up with this build. Great work!  An unusual looking machine, i cannot fathom how many troops it would carry! 

Thanks Kushan.  To be honest - I've no idea - they are pretty cramped!

4 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Lovely figure painting.

I wish my figures were half as realistic.

Thanks Vaastav - appreciate that.

The Hornet heads are so well sculpted (short figure)  that they virtually paint themselves.

And so with the pics now on RFI - this is the close down thread.

DSCF8978

As is customary with my blogs - here's a short summary:

Hobby Boss Nagmachon APC (Early)

A really nice and effortless build as was portrayed in the blog.  Tracks fit well and I thoroughly recommend it.  I hvae a Tiger models late version which cost nearly twice as much - it will be interesting to see how it compares.

One ommission is no shackles, which figure prominently atop the side skirt armour.  Resin 3D versions aree available from Shapeways and I think are well worth grabbing.

What began as a straight forward build meandered somwhat after I decided to scratch an interior.  The kit calls out to be opened up, and it would have been a missed oppportunity not to.  Legend productions do an interior set but at a suitably punitie price.

Mine Roller - Miniart KMT - 5 and Meng Nochri Degem Dalet

A bodge together that sort of works.  I presume Miniart will release a specific KMT-4, as used by the IDF, in due course.  As covered in the blog, the mine adapter is by Legend productions and is very nicely finished.  It was fiddly to fit and there were several occasions when I nearly abandoned it.  However the end result passes muster and adds to the general weirdness of this mutated Centurion tank.

Red Zebra Stowage

Excellent - check them out  https://www.redzebramodels.co.uk/

Painting and Weathering

Mig Ammo paint and weathering products.  I was disapointed at the colour represenation of the (then) new AK lacquer paints and did not use them (I'd originally aimed to test them on this build)

I really like Andy Moore's tip of using acrylic mixed with Glaze medium to form acrylic type filter/glazes.  I'll be using this in the future.

Aerials

Carbon fibre rods from Accurate Armour - couldn't do without them!

Figures

The standing figure is from Valkyrie minatures and the driveer figure is from a Minart US tank crew set with a Hornet head.  Hornet heads are just superb and nearly paint themselves.  Ages since I painted any figures and (dont tell anyone) I really enjoyed it :whistle:

Thanks for looking.

It's a wrap.

Rob

• Like 5