Hobby Boss Nagmachon APC (early)

robgizlu

Ugly, yes. Sort of think I saw one of these on that new Star Wars movie, "Solo", I'm sure it has a Star Wars look. The doghouse version is even more bizarre though and there's probably a R2D2 hanging off that one somewhere. (in Israeli camo of course)

Great job on it so far and that interior work is first rate.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

This build has been cruelly neglected :blush:

I'm determined to clear all my unfinished builds.  I had been dragging my heels in one sense hoping that DEF Model would produce the KMT-4 "Nochri" mine roller long promised but not forthcoming!

Miniart are slowly producing it would seem the whole range of Russian min plows, with the 5,7 and 9 now available.  It seem highly likely that they'll produce a KMT-4 before much longer but enough time has passed for this poor build.

Soooo, I'm going to try a mash up using the arms from the KMT-5 and the Rollers from the Meng Nochri Dalet.  I'm fairly certain that the KMT-5M arms are the same as for the 4, it's just that this version only had 3 roller wheels each side instead of 4.  I stand to be corrected.

spacer.png

The Rollers from the Meng dry assembled look like this...

spacer.png

And hopefully the arm will "mate".  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

More soon - this IS going to get finished :fool:

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 7

On 7/6/2019 at 4:24 PM, robgizlu said:

"I'm determined to clear all my unfinished builds.  I had been dragging my heels"

Glad to know I am not the only one who has unfinished models :phew:  I am working on one at this moment which I started in 2006 

Love the scratch work you are adding :like:  the Israeli did do some wonders with there tanks

Regards

Richard 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Richard

The 2 mine-plow arms are finished 

spacer.png

And their supports are fixed to the Mine-plow adapter.  They open and shut which is helpful for getting on and off

spacer.png

The Wheel bogies are finished off and supports for the chains added with plasticard

spacer.png

The left side of the add on armour hanger is fitted to the main vehicle

spacer.png

And the mine plow adapter is mated and stuck to the main body, and the arms attached and bogies fitted without securing chains.  I finally have a Nochri KMT-4 mine plow:)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Final completion beckons and thoughts must go to a base that this set up demands.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Richard - much appreciated.

The flare boxes are very sparse and IMHO the covers are unuseable.

spacer.png

The Meng set of nuts and bolts comes to the rescue with detailing and new covers are fashioned from masking tape which is then stiffened and "set" with Klear.

spacer.png

I still have elastic "thread" originally sourced from Tim Perry at PP Aeroparts (Sadly defunct and missed).  I remember concerns that it would perish but this has to be in excess of 20yrs old and seems fine to me.  I use it for "wiring" and it's considerably easier than using wire itself.  I've no idea where to obtain further supplies???

spacer.png

With the build nearing completion - it was time to add the rear frame basket that went together and fitted very well considering that there are 4 separate parts

spacer.png

The aerial mounts n the cabin roof were attached and insulators from the Desert Eagle IDF antennas and Mounts set fitted that will allow the aerials to be swept back

spacer.png

And I trialed the resin shackles with the chains supporting the side armour.  Fiddly stuff!!

spacer.png

I think the effort will be worthwhile.

The light guards were really fiddly :doh:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the guns which are very nicely detailed are prepared

spacer.png

More soon

Rob

• Like 9

Thanks Beefy, Dan and Kev.

I tried the VMS "Hull Tex Cement and Texture" for the anti-slip.  Some of these early vehicles lack it and it wasn't applied as freely as more more recent vehicles

spacer.png

It really works well, the only single problem being that the cement is a solvent not unlike Tamyia cement and there's no way to clean the brush, so to do an Merkava, I'll need to get in a supply of cheap brushes.

spacer.png

Placement is very precise and it works just like the VMS video on You Tube suggests.

I finally got the final bits done and this is now completed waiting priming and "rigging" with all the chains for side amour and for the plow.

There is a second rear mast included in the pic but most of my pics show that early vehicles only seemed to have the tall central one.  The etch aerial really is effective.

The front 2 flare boxes aren't fitted yet, I'll put the chains on first.  As a point of fact the later "Doghouse" variants ONLY ever had ONE each side, though 2 seem to be supplied with the Hobby Boss and Tiger Model offerings and modellers continue to present late versions (erroneously) with 2 each side (I'll get my jacket...)

Yowsa, yowsa, yowsa!!  Only been 2 yrs plus........

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Priming,painting and weathering finally arrives.

Thanks for looking 

Rob

• Like 10

Thanks Fellas!

Priming begins with my Go-to primer Mig "One Shot"

spacer.png

The aim was to get the wheels and tracks painted before finally glueing the side armour on and fitting the support chains.

Mindful of my paint trial nearly 2 years ago..........

spacer.png

I've opted to go for Mig Ammo Real IDF Sinai Grey 1982  Mig 131.  I normally use the Gunze levelling thinner to dilute but it "Glooped" this so I resorted to Mig Ammo Thinner

I painted the roof separately as "masking" the inner had it been attached would have been problematic

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think it's a tad too brown without enough green but it's tricky - it really does change hue according to different light intensity.

Tracks which on IDF machines seem very black were Mig Ammo Matt Black : Dark Tracks  3 : 1

spacer.png

I fitted all of the shackles and chains and then finished the priming

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 10

I eventually used the Ammo Real Sinai grey 131 withe the IDF Sinai grey 50 :50

spacer.png

spacer.png

I started with Mig Filters...

spacer.png

spacer.png

But borrowing yet another idea from Andy Moore, I tried using Glaze medium to create filters with acrylics.  I like it - it's a lot more subtle than oils and better for it

spacer.png

As he points out you can expand your Filter colour range

spacer.png

spacer.png

Washes next 

Rob

• Like 9