Hobby Boss Nagmachon APC (early)

robgizlu

1 hour ago, AndyRM101 said:

Same bottles, but the paint is different. Vallejo has a more vinyl-y quality to it compared to AMMO. As far as I know, Vallejo is a true water-based acrylic, being essentially pigment, acrylic resin and distilled water. I'm not sure exactly what's in AMMO, but it does behave slightly differently to Vallejo.

I have tried thinning Vallejo with self levelling, but I wouldn't recommend it. It does thin it, but the paint has a tendency to split and separate. Same with AK (the normal range), so I assume that that's closer to Vallejo than AMMO in its formulation.

Apologies to Rob for gate crashing his wip.

Andy:cat:

Andy - You are very welcome.  I constantly learn from your work.

And Hi to 06/24 and Stix - thanks for looking in Fellas

Rob

• Like 1

I tried Vallejo when repainting my old M1 in a desert scheme. The colour it was supposed to be in Vallejo's range, aside from being too light, had a tendency to crackle or not cover very well, and for some reason it had a sweet smell for about two weeks until I covered it with Gunze Aqueous, which I love as much as Tamiya now. I did a tiny brush paint test with the new AK stuff, and it went on quite nicely. Very matt finish. 

Gaz

4 hours ago, GazB said:

I tried Vallejo when repainting my old M1 in a desert scheme. The colour it was supposed to be in Vallejo's range, aside from being too light, had a tendency to crackle or not cover very well, and for some reason it had a sweet smell for about two weeks until I covered it with Gunze Aqueous, which I love as much as Tamiya now. I did a tiny brush paint test with the new AK stuff, and it went on quite nicely. Very matt finish. 

Gaz

Hi, what thinner did you use with Vallejo paint ? Being very reactive to solvents, I have to stay away from lacquers so I just use Vallejo and other waterbased paints ( (in a spray booth and wearing a mask !) and never had that sort of problem using Vallejo thinner ... just a bit of clogging depending of air temperature and hygrometry.

E

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Etienne said:

Hi, what thinner did you use with Vallejo paint ? Being very reactive to solvents, I have to stay away from lacquers so I just use Vallejo and other waterbased paints ( (in a spray booth and wearing a mask !) and never had that sort of problem using Vallejo thinner ... just a bit of clogging depending of air temperature and hygrometry.

E

I didn't manage to thin the Vallejo. It was supposedly the Model Air (don't need to thin), though I don't think that was the case. I didn't want to go through the rigmaroll of thinning it in the paint cup every time, so I never thinned it.

Gaz

Boy this thing is ugly and some people say that my HMS Abercrombie looks bad  :think:

But if you think about it personnel protection comes before good looks

I have a couple of Merkivas to do will be interesting to see what paints and colours you go with  :book:

beefy

Hi there, I really like your approach of testing paints and sharing the information, Rob. From my point of view it always helps to work with pictures and adjust the color temperature as well as the saturation. And then decide for the color of choice, even when the kit maker says otherwise. Daylight and thus appearance of color isn't standardized as well. For a short note on Vallejo color, like Etienne said, thinning with Vallejo thinner, mine is also supplemented with 30% flow improver. And yes, I feel it necessary to even thin model air colors. One reason to change to Model color in the future, because you get more paint out of it. You can easily thin model color 50:50 and it covers better when brush painting. While model air needs about 20% thinner in my experience.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

Thanks Soeren

FWIW my favourite acrylics to date are Mig Ammo (thinned with Mr Color levelling thinner ((which kicked this all off;))) or Mig Ammo thinner) though I'm happy using Vallejo Model air which I thin with Vallejo thinner paint to thinner 3 : 1 and I sometimes put a drop of Vallejo flow enhancer in.  For Model Color I use paint to Vallejo thinner to Vallejo airbrush cleaner 2 : 1 : 1.

8 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Boy this thing is ugly and some people say that my HMS Abercrombie looks bad  :think:

But if you think about it personnel protection comes before good looks

I have a couple of Merkivas to do will be interesting to see what paints and colours you go with  :book:

beefy

Hi Beefy - good to see you across the divide.  I have a Merkava 3  LIC to do at some stage.  The Nagmachons do have their charm don't they:mellow:

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Kev.

And Many thanks to Kev "Longshanks" for his Plastikard suggestion - despite my searches I'd failed to find this - whilst slightly overscale - it's cheap and effective.

1cfa8918-ead2-4bf7-a74b-f6a259c11c63.jpg

Jon "06/24" - hope you are finding the same.

I redid the treadplate platform - the nice thing about Tamiya Extra thin cement is that if you reapply it and you didn't do much "welding" originally - pieces will "de-glue".  so I dissambled and rebuilt using the original pieces as drilling templates

10013dfd-4b55-476a-91d4-9de87468813f.jpg

The detailing took far longer than anticipated.  I have NO idea where the transparent pieces representing fire extinguishers came from:huh:

However - very suitable they were

b085fab4-2ce9-41a2-abc7-5479bf598718.jpg

The radio sets came from an Sd.kfz. 251D 7.  Ah- the joys of a spares box.  Primer next and whilst all this is going on I break the tedium with some whittling that makes quite a difference to the kit pieces

e5650b88-5464-4f5b-a5b7-3e8fb7086fd6.jpg

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 4 January 2018 at 11:24 AM, Israel said:

How did I miss this? Great stuff, keep 'em coming. If you need pictures of the actual vehicle, let me know, I have plenty... 

Can I be really cheeky and ask if you have any shots of the Puma? Particularly the inside!  Sorry!

12 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Can I be really cheeky and ask if you have any shots of the Puma? Particularly the inside!  Sorry!

I have s#$t loads of Puma pictures - unfortunately none of the inside. If you're interested, let me know. I can upload them in your Puma build-log for everybody's benefit, or can simply email them to you - whatever you decide. Oh, and...don't be sorry! We're supposed to help out each other, aren't we...? 

Israel :wink:   

Edited by Israel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Israel said:

I have s#$t loads of Puma pictures - unfortunately none of the inside. If you're interested, let me know. I can upload them in your Puma build-log for everybody's benefit, or can simply email them to you - whatever you decide. Oh, and...don't be sorry! We're supposed to help out each other, aren't we...? 

Israel :wink:   

No worries about no interior shots, they are like gold dust! If you could upload on my build thread that would be fabulous, that way we all benefit and I get prodded to get on with the big beast!

• 1 year later...

Now...where did all that time go.......?

The interior is pretty much completed

44d30df1-3c5d-486e-b8be-37b4186a5fd8.jpg

71b59934-72b2-4b79-9359-f91e0960cd1b.jpg

And so it's onto weathering  using Mig ammo washable dust - first time I've used and I like together with Mig Light dirt oil paint

f6729f01-0661-4de6-84b1-202df0bb0571.jpg

1a74c9ea-49f7-4d36-bfd2-a5fb04c9819f.jpg

3f3bf73a-54d1-4f00-82a7-86db8d1be771.jpg

This level of weathering matches that seen in the Desert Eagle interior pics - they were (are?) pretty grubby.

And I received these over the Christmas break from a company new to me

Red Zebra Models

57aba488-c2d3-4a78-b804-930e03c1ee88.jpg

Really superbly moulded IDF rucksacks and kit to be used in the cargo compartment on the rear deck

435703cb-6cbf-4759-8059-dd958d191d00.jpg

How nice are theyB)

DEF model seem no closer to releasing their KMT-4 mine roller.  Whilst in the meantime Miniart are releasing the KMT-5 as a stand alone offering with a KMT-7 and 9 in the pipeline.  It may be possible to mate the  Meng Nochri with the Miniart KMT-5 - all good Fun:hmmm:

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 8

On 1/16/2019 at 6:51 AM, beefy66 said:

Nice weathering on the interior looks well used 👍🏻

looks like a welcome change from the floaty things. :popcorn:

beefy 

Thanks Beefy - a whole different world !

Interior work continues

0baccf87-0282-44c7-906f-fb1ecf19e665.jpg

aae6ec9b-850b-4871-b497-bdbffe3d1a01.jpg

9c7323aa-c0d3-4f3e-8e85-12cf3c4780ad.jpg

f1dec822-37a1-404e-86a0-acd69ad35a36.jpg

447399d5-ce89-47bb-b717-949d75b62fb9.jpg

Fenders are completed

26e3bce3-281d-4367-92f4-b7714a2ecccb.jpg

And the superstructure is closed up

55d88677-56ee-4a25-8aa2-1391418fc926.jpg

d7e100a5-3d19-435c-9e83-73a10cc4a081.jpg

fdfc7c9e-ca48-41ba-86b9-77caac90f3c1.jpg

The lugs for the attachment of the side armour are extremely tight and need quite a bit of filing so as to enable the armour to be slipped on and off for painting

6fb7c0ae-e71b-4351-96bd-1932ebb552dd.jpg

The etch light bracket in the foreground was fiddly+++:wacko:

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 7