Jadgtiger photos please

Steve_farrier

Hi guys 

I'm trying to hunt down some jadgtiger photos. Having spent a few hours on google I can only find the same photos circulating. It's kinda frustrating. 

Move lots of photos of the one down at the tank museum Dorset and the Aberdeen training grounds (or what was) but both these are Porsche types. 

Im particularly after winter camouflage schemes and intersting field alterations etc 

thank you so much 

Two possible reference sources (sorry, hard copy only):

Polish armour In Focus series on Jagdtiger by Janucz Ledwoch (Warsaw, 1999): 50-odd glossy pages including drawings and 7 pages of colour side profiles, some of which are illustrated in photographs elsewhere in the booklet so you can decide whether you agree with the artist's interpretations or not.

The Combat History of German Heavy Anti-Tank Unit 653 in World War II by Karlheinz Muench (Stackpole Books, 1997): its 380 pages include 31 devoted to photos of Jagdtigers used by one of the two main units to use the vehicle.  There are 2-3 photos per page but reproduction, on matt paper, is pretty mediocre.

But, with only 70-80 produced, there isn't that much choice.  The Ledwoch book points out some of the minor variations though.

HTH

• Thanks 1

@Seahawk thank you for the advice. I've researched the book a little online and then went looking for some specific units etc. 

I found  one interesting website 

https://panzerworld.com/jagdtiger 

which gives a lot of detail about combat action,, unit Numbers etc. 

One intersting thing it pointed out was...

"On 23 January 1945, s.Pz.Jäg.Abt.653 reported to have reached full strength, with the following vehicles:

• 42 Jagdtigers, in three companied of 14 Jagdtigers each.
  • Command platoon: 3 Sd Kfz 251/6command half-tracks, as no command Jagdtigers had been completed yet."

that last sentence got me wondering... then I found 1 photo and I can't find any unit number or marking on the vehicle.... 

38221296551_e79e31063b_z.jpg

Now at first I thought this was telegraph poles behind the vehicle... then zooming in they appear to have smaller horizontal pieces at the top but pointing different directions... 

could this be a command vehicle?!? 

:yikes:

38221400641_0057738b51_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I actually emailed these off to the tank museum and got the same response. They decided it was just a very unique photraphy angle. 

They said the JT command vehicle had the same umbrella type aerial as other tanks and a radio system replacing the rear left ammo storage. And thatbtgese we're the only differences. 

Thanks seems I've been over zealous and wrong ha ha 

• 1 month later...
On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:05 PM, Steve_farrier said:

@Seahawk thank you for the advice. I've researched the book a little online and then went looking for some specific units etc. 

I found  one interesting website 

https://panzerworld.com/jagdtiger 

which gives a lot of detail about combat action,, unit Numbers etc. 

One intersting thing it pointed out was...

"On 23 January 1945, s.Pz.Jäg.Abt.653 reported to have reached full strength, with the following vehicles:

• 42 Jagdtigers, in three companied of 14 Jagdtigers each.
  • Command platoon: 3 Sd Kfz 251/6command half-tracks, as no command Jagdtigers had been completed yet."

that last sentence got me wondering... then I found 1 photo and I can't find any unit number or marking on the vehicle.... 

38221296551_e79e31063b_z.jpg

Now at first I thought this was telegraph poles behind the vehicle... then zooming in they appear to have smaller horizontal pieces at the top but pointing different directions... 

could this be a command vehicle?!? 

:yikes:

38221400641_0057738b51_b.jpg

The photo above is of a broken down Jagdtiger from 3/512 tactical marking Y. It was pictured near Paderbourne on 2 April 1945, it is fitted with crane mounting brackets. On 16 Feb 1945 there was an order released to change the steering units. At that time the 512 deployment was Dollersheim 5 Jagdtigers (chassis no 305050 to 305054) and Linz (army reserve) 6 Jagdtigers (chassis no 305055 to 305060)