HMS Belfast 1/350

On 3/6/2020 at 12:26 PM, Richard E said:

Good to see this build back again, wondering if @andrewa completed his HMS Vanguard build ?

Sadly not, combination of day job and other projects has left it on hold, but I do look at it regularly so it won't be too much longer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Re-triggering this thread I guess @andrewa, but I just had to comment on this excellent build, plus Jamaica and Sheffield. I'm curious to know what models were they each based on?

It sounds like the Trumpeter Belfast was a challenge, but you have made a great job there. While I'm here I might also add that I'm very interested in seeing your Vanguard progress ............ no pressure of course!

Terry

• Like 1

@Terry1954 Hi Terry,  Sheffield is the White Ensign kit, it's been OOP for ages, but I got lucky twice with eBay and picked up 2 copies of the model.  Jamaica is a scratch build, with accessories from various sources and the WEM Belfast etched brass.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, andrewa said:

@Terry1954 Hi Terry,  Sheffield is the White Ensign kit, it's been OOP for ages, but I got lucky twice with eBay and picked up 2 copies of the model.  Jamaica is a scratch build, with accessories from various sources and the WEM Belfast etched brass.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I've been looking for the WEM Sheffield for some time, to use as a basis for HMS Birmingham conversion as a close deceased relative served in Birmingham. A challenging conversion I'm sure, as the knuckle will need to be removed!

Can't find one anywhere currently. If ever that second one feels the need to be sold on, let me know!

Terry

Sorry Terry, there's a plan for the second Sheffield - most likely Glasgow in her 507a/ 507c scheme, or maybe a conversion to one of the Manchester/Gloucester/Liverpool batch.

Have you seen the Ironshipwrights Sheffield kit?  It's one of their more recent kits so may be worth a punt.

A

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andrewa said:

Sorry Terry, there's a plan for the second Sheffield - most likely Glasgow in her 507a/ 507c scheme, or maybe a conversion to one of the Manchester/Gloucester/Liverpool batch.

Have you seen the Ironshipwrights Sheffield kit?  It's one of their more recent kits so may be worth a punt.

A

No worries Andrew, it was worth a try! I was aware of the Iron Shipwright offering but I'm dubious re the quality of their offerings which I understand are not up to the WEM, Atlantic, Starling (as examples) standard. I've seen an ISW Sheffield build start on BM and wasn't impressed with the quality of the basic offering, when you consider the price. That said they have been around for some time, and fill a massive void in Cold War US warships for sure.

I'll keep my eyes open for a WEM 1/350 Sheffield for the moment.

Thanks again

Terry

• Like 1