1/32 F-104C Vietnam

Completely missed the STGB, oops, but seems reasonable to post it here.

Started this over the last couple of days, and finally got to the point where there's something to show

P1000051.JPG

I also have the full Brassin set - consisting of Seat, Nozzle and wheels

P1000052.JPG

Work unsurprisingly starts in the cockpit, the first stage with the Brassin is replacing the seat rails with the resin replacement, complete with a couple of PE spacers

P1000053.JPG

Then primed with Black Styrenex primer, followed by Mr Hobby Aircraft Grey as a base

P1000054.JPG

Then started painting and weathering the seat and cockpit floor - not started on the actual cockpit yet, and the seat is simply slotted in the rails for the moment

P1000055.JPG

P1000056.JPG

Peter

Today's work on the Missile with a Man in it - Added the final PE parts to the Seat

P1000058.JPG

Then finished off the cockpit - the moulding on the parts is a little soft in places but still effective

P1000059.JPG

P1000060.JPG

P1000061.JPG

P1000062.JPG

Peter

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Today's work - the Nose gear and the wheel well, and adding and blending in all of the inserts in the underside. Feels like Italeri are trying to do a Hasegawa kit with the inserts, but with less precision. It's not terrible, but it all needs some fiddling to get a decent fit.

P1000068.JPG

P1000069.JPG

Peter

• Like 5

Ah that typical Italeri engineering, where parts kind of fit with some fettling... :D

Ok, I'm maybe a bit too harsh with Italeri, but this kind of fit issues are unfortunately quite common on their kits. Nothing that a good modeller can't sort of course, as you're showing here, but a bit annoying nonetheless.

I've been told that their Mirage III is better than the F-104, hopefully their 1/32 kits are improving. Detail looks good though, very good !

That's looking good despite the build problems, I knew very little of the F104's history in Vietnam, this thread made me look it up on the internet for more information and was surprised at the sortie numbers. The Vietnam camouflage has always looked very attractive to me but I'm a prop man, maybe one day I will make the leap and build one. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Dennis

Today's work - cut a bit short due to the fact that i was getting a bit sick of fighting this kit - the port tip tank took 3 hours of work as it was quite badly warped, and the starboard one is similar. Also the clear part's aren't a great fit either.

P1000081.JPG

P1000082.JPG

P1000083.JPG

Still need to do some more sanding back around the clear parts.

Peter

• Like 2

Today's work - first started by assembling the Mk 117's - still need to be weathered and the fuses painted. I added casting texture with Mr Surfacer

P1000084.JPG

Then another red letter day for Italeri - I spend an hour making the twin sidewinder rack and the sidewinders only to find it won't fit the holes in the bottom of the fuselage. Refer back to the instructions, and the two variants are reversed in the instructions. So it's now going to have an empty centerline mount.

Masked off the fueslage

P1000085.JPG

P1000086.JPG

Then on with a coat of Styrnex black primer - it's not too bad, which surprises me

P1000087.JPG

P1000088.JPG

Peter

• Like 2

Today's work pushing through - added the resin wheels, gear doors and finished off the bombs. Something on the decals for the bombs sums up this kit for me - the stencilling for the bombs says they are 1000lb's, but Mk 117s are 750lb - it's a little thing, on a little stencil but it's wrong. Lots of little niggles on this kit.

Anyway nearly finished now, matt coat sprayed and the resin jet nozzle added - only some more unmasking and the pitot and some interior parts inside the canopy left.

P1000098.JPG

P1000099.JPG

P1000100.JPG

P1000101.JPG

P1000102.JPG

P1000103.JPG

Peter

• Like 5

• 4 months later...