F-89H Scorpion - 1/72 scale Hobbycraft kit

The latest - and last addition to my collection of 1/72 scale F-89 Scorpions - the Hobbycraft kit of the F-89H.....

Scorpion_079.jpg

I wanted to show the GAR-1 Falcon missiles both retracted and extended - so I did the port pod with them deployed ready for firing, and the starboard side all closed up.

Scorpion_080.jpg

I know they wouldn't be like that in real life - they are deployed symetrically on each side - but I am claiming 'artistic licence' - it is on display at an airshow and the extending mechanism has be overridden by the display crew. :whistle:

Scorpion_081.jpg

The 'clean' starboard pod for comparison - note the apertures for the FFAR rockets in the nose of the pod.

Scorpion_082.jpg

Scorpion_083.jpg

Closer view of the port pod - the Flacon missiles are dummies - hence the light blue colour.

I could not get the US Star-and-bar to sit centrally inside the silver outline decal - either the star lined up - or the bars did - but not both!:crying:

Scorpion_084.jpg

I had to cut the kit decals to go round the missile bays.

Scorpion_085.jpg

Each pod could carry 3 X GAR-1 Falcon missiles - plus 21 X FFAR rockets.

Scorpion_086.jpg

F-89H Scorpion of the 437th FIS, Presque Isle AFB circa 1958.

Scorpion_087.jpg

Scorpion_088.jpg

Scorpion - ready to strike!

Scorpion_089.jpg

My complete Scorpion collection.

Ken

• Like 36

That looks brilliant Ken, I do like your display rational. :)  For years I've thought these were pig ugly, but having seen some built recently, including yours, they're kind of growing on me, close to being a NEED.  :(

Steve.

16 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That looks brilliant Ken, I do like your display rational. :)  For years I've thought these were pig ugly, but having seen some built recently, including yours, they're kind of growing on me, close to being a NEED.  :(

Steve.

You´re totally right, Steve, i have also some Scorpions unbuilt here at home! But at that times then, they produced every year a new pig  :pig:  that made a new speed record.

Now we, and our children have to live with three and a half Lightning II for 100 years without any record, i presume:shrug:

Thomas

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flankerman said:

The latest - and last addition to my collection of 1/72 scale F-89 Scorpions - the Hobbycraft kit of the F-89H.....

I know they wouldn't be like that in real life - they are deployed symetrically on each side - but I am claiming 'artistic licence' - it is on display at an airshow and the extending mechanism has be overridden by the display crew. :whistle:

Nice one Ken, like it.  Learned something new about the Scorpion for this model.

6 hours ago, replicant said:

Hello Ken!

It´s a wonderful collection! The XF is rarest stuff, for shure!

Thomas

I agree! Love the XF, too! They are all great builds. Call the exterminator, the Scorpions are loose! You should see one in person- it is a BIG airplane!

Mike

• Like 1

Great collection.:yes: Seeing this I feel a need to start Revell box laying in my stash for years...

As for problem with insignia outline - you probably placed the silver decal upside down as the star-and-bars insignias are not symmetrical (bars are placed slightly to the top of insignia)

• 3 weeks later...