Testors F8F-2: my first Corsair

DMC

Ok, pinned the somewhat spindly lg together and installed them temporarily in place to check the "stance".  (Temp canopy askew) The discs and calipers  need to be cemented on the wheels and there is another brace to be fitted to the strut but everything looks ok. Level and all that.  The gear and other bits that hang or stick out will be the last to be cemented in place as I am historically a little ham fisted and they would no doubt be knocked off very quickly. 

I'll give the F8F a rest now and segue over to the F4U for a bit.

Thanks for looking

Dennis

7f4f9a9e-d2a4-471c-9e33-5f18fabc65e0.JPG

13d63e40-2173-47ed-aea7-8271adc4419a.JPG

f2d0f3fe-faa3-4beb-8e39-a73e09242904.JPG

• Like 3

7 hours ago, massimo said:

She looks great!!!

And all the work you did is all there!!!

SUPERB STUFF!!!:clap:

High praise indeed, Massimo, coming from someone with your modelling abilities.

4 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Looking good! :)

Thank you, sir, very much appreciated.

16 minutes ago, CJP said:

These photos show you've captured the menacing feel of the Bearcat very nicely

Thank you, CJ, it does indeed have that look about it.  Pugilistic little brut. 

Dennis

11 hours ago, Jbarry911 said:

Super!! I love it. Having poured over this plane for many months, I just have to say how impressive your attention to detail has been.

Thanks, Jim, a little more of that detailing and it's done.

16 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Dennis....wow that is looking every bit the Bearcat...that stance is unmistakable.

Thank you, DJ,  much appreciated

Thanks again guys

Dennis

Dennis

Looks great! But why are you setting it aside when you're finally getting out of the murky slog of basic construction? No doubt maneuvering to regain the element of surprise so you can catch it unawares... 

That said, I must say I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you do with a Corsair.

-J

Just now, Johnny1000 said:

.Looks great!

Thanks, Johnny.  Not much of a slog really, I just get caught up in a "what if I do this or can I do that" type of build and consequently burn myself out a bit.   This July will mark my third anniversary on BM.  Since enlisting I've started about seven builds without finishing one because I over complicated every one of them.  Well, for a New Years resolution, I decided that I'd make an effort to "mop up" and finish the builds that I had started before buying or starting another one.  I have since found out (something that many on here already know) that by working on one for a bit and then switching to another started build I don't get burnout as quick and the restart is pretty fresh.  Almost like starting a new build.  Anyway, that's the way it affects me.

Ah, the Corsair.  I like a Corsair as much as I like a Bearcat.  Maybe more!  I think Corsairs were imprinted in my brain a long (looong) time ago. Tell you a story, a true one.  I am an old geezer and right after the War (that War!), around 1947, we, being a Navy family, were stationed in Guantanamo.  It was a kid's paradise, really, and I was free to roam almost anywhere I wanted.   There was an articulated jitney bus the made the rounds of the housing project and the base and I discovered that it stopped near an airfield.   To see the strip you had to climb up a slope about 15 or 20 foot high, which I would do in order to watch the planes taking off and landing in the distance.   There were several wrecked planes very close to where I usually climbed up the slope and I soon got up enough nerve to try and get closer and look them over.   The closest one must have done a wheels up as it was flat on the ground, and it had the canopy open.   Mustering up even more nerve I managed to scramble (how I can't remember) into the cockpit of this rather large, blue machine.  I am %100 sure it was a Corsair as I remember slipping on the bent wings and a nose which seemed to go on forever.   I went back a few more times but was chased off the last time when I saw a jeep heading my way at speed.   I exited the scene pretty quickly and never went back.   After we returned to the US I learned what the airplane was after I started getting interested in model building.  

True story, Johnny, as best as I can remember it.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

On 5/16/2018 at 6:06 PM, Johnny1000 said:

Makes sense.

And that's a great story. Thanks!

On the Isle of Man for a short break.  Sorry, can’t help with the prop.

Dennis